Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM

746 posts, read 846,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Look don't argue with me. You are probably right about the differance the asians and the blacks. If you want to argue then argue with what Bill Cosby claims. What do think about that?

I knew that when I posted this that this would be very controversial. So, it doesn't surprise me at all that I am getting this type of feedback. No one really talks about this in our country because we are all afraid, want to be seen as PC and I am glad that Bill Cosby had the "balls" to say what is the truth.

And with the "all blacks" I did not say that. I said "some"...

I have a hockey game to go to, but i'll be back to waste time on this non-sense. Bill Cosby was 100% correct in talking about poor black people and poor people in general of any race! However, because he's black his focus is only on poor blacks and he's 100% correct. My disagreement with you is that you used his statement directly related to "poor blacks" as a way to attack the entire black community. If you did not mean to attack the entire black community under some collectivist guise you should have made that clear, but you have about 5 or 6 post where you attack the entire community, so now that you've done that like i said be prepared to back those statements up!

Bill Cosby was only and i repeat only talking about poor inner city black people when he made the statement. I'll give you a qoute where he directly says that on the "Today's Show" however, he was so disappointed, that the racist media ran with it and attempted to make a blanket gross generalized statement about all blacks, which is exactly what you did. Like I said you made your bed now etc, so back it up. If you wanted a debate on the accuracy of Bill Cosby's message in relation to poor black people you could have easily made that known, but you perverted his words to suite your own racist ideology about all black people.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,157 times
Quote:
According to Bill Cosby, the desperate situation of many minorities has resulted in some of these shocking statistics:
  • At least a third of all homeless men are African-American.
  • African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
  • According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
  • Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
  • Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.
Frustrated by these numbers, Bill gave an unexpected, uncensored speech in 2004: "In the neighborhood that most of us grew up in, parenting is not going on," he said. "They're buying things for the kid—$500 sneakers. For what? They won't buy or spend $250 on Hooked on Phonics.

"It's not what they're doing to us. It's what we're not doing. … Brown vs. the Board of Education—these people who marched and were hit in the face with rocks and punched in the face to get an education, and we've got these knuckleheads walking around who don't want to learn English. I know you all know it, but I just want to get you as angry as you ought to be," he said.
Check this out Video: Bill Cosby: "...acting with abnormal behavior..." Video (http://shron.vodpod.com/video/385902-video-bill-cosby-acting-with-abnormal-behavior - broken link)-

mod cut: text removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-01-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times
Quote:
And to the point. Not "all" people (let me be clear on that) I think that "poor blacks that are not educated" needed the wake up call. The only way you get change is to face the problem first and then change comes.

This can only help them. And you know, I personal opinion is that other minorities (not all) are taking more responsiblity than the "poor blacks"...did you see the statistics??? 50% of the population in jail are blacks? You don't see asians, hispanics, cubans... Don't call me a racist for speaking the truth...it seems to be a pattern that some of the time someone says anything negative against the blacks than automatically we are stero-typed as racist. See again...it's not your fault for these numbers, but mine?

I think that Bill Cosby is on the right track....hurray for positive growth!
Check the numbers my dear. African Americans and then Hispanic-the highest rates of people in the prison system. Historical context is vital, yet people tend to disregard it when it serves as a weapon for them to justify their perspective. Let history speak and then your personal perspective becomes null and void. This is why I love academia because it provides a wealth of knowledge when one makes a conscious decision to look at the research studies that speak to all these societal ailments.

There is her truth, his truth, and then THERE IS THE PEOPLE'S TRUTH!!! Back it up with the scientific research and the voice of the people who have lived these experiences. Experience speaks volumes!! This is how many of us get jobs, based on our experience. Is it not???

Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
I have a hockey game to go to, but i'll be back to waste time on this non-sense. Bill Cosby was 100% correct in talking about poor black people and poor people in general of any race! However, because he's black his focus is only on poor blacks and he's 100% correct. My disagreement with you is that you used his statement directly related to "poor blacks" as a way to attack the entire black community. If you did not mean to attack the entire black community under some collectivist guise you should have made that clear, but you have about 5 or 6 post where you attack the entire community, so now that you've done that like i said be prepared to back those statements up!

Bill Cosby was only and i repeat only talking about poor inner city black people when he made the statement. I'll give you a qoute where he directly says that on the "Today's Show" however, he was so disappointed, that the racist media ran with it and attempted to make a blanket gross generalized statement about all blacks, which is exactly what you did. Like I said you made your bed now etc, so back it up. If you wanted a debate on the accuracy of Bill Cosby's message in relation to poor black people you could have easily made that known, but you perverted his words to suite your own racist ideology about all black people.

MOD CUT
Come on....read all my posts and of course I didn't say ALL BLACKS! Do I need to repeat this again and againa and again and again. So, bill cosby can talk about "this" issue becuase "he is black" and I can't have an opinion because Im not??? So, now if I am not black then I can't have an opionion on black issues....geez your terms are high...

BTW, I don't have an issue with "blacks" only...it's of any race that do not take responsiblity and I have opinions about them as well...but this is not what this thread is about. We are getting off the subject of what Bill Cosby thought and think....

Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You seem to have missed a point that is seldom mentioned, yet to ME is glaringly obvious....and it has little to do with "logic", and everything to do with the intangible qualities of human emotion.

South Koreans, as you mention, have been massively abused in the past--most recently, by the Japanese. So were the Filipinos and Chinese. In a similar manner, the Jews were horribly treated in Europe, the Irish were marginalized and thrown off their own lands by the British; the Armenians were brutalized by the Turks, and the list goes on "ad infinitum", in any century you choose to cite, some of these abuses quite recent.

But there's one glaring difference you fail to mention---American blacks were brutalized right HERE--in America---by American whites. Even AFTER emancipation, these same American whites then proceeded to lynch and abuse and segregate them MORE...for decades AFTER slavery.

I realize that MOST whites aren't personally guilty---and NO slaves, and NO slave owners, are left alive in the US. Still, the bitter legacy, it's MY belief, continues because of the very singular situation in which a modern "liberal" culture lives in direct proximity with the direct descendants of those whom it once brutalized. It's a very complex situation, one that I don't think has too many paralels anywhere in the world.

As proof of this, I think it's well recognized that black immigrants from Africa, AND from the Caribbean, despite their problems with imigration, do NOT seem to share in the "victim" psychology of poor American blacks. Some of these people (particularly West Indians) had ancestors who WERE slaves--- but the big difference is, they weren't slaves HERE. Their pain, and their rage, and their humiliation, is not seen as due to the treatment from "white America", but from somebody ELSE, somewhere ELSE. This makes a BIG difference, psychologically, I believe, and the problems of poor Blacks in America, for that reason, are more persistent than those of OTHER poor people, of whatever group...
Okay, fine and I am sorry that anyone had to deal with slavery...disgusting thing. Just like when my grandfather was killed by the north koreans, my grandmother was takem hostage by the japanese...but at what point do accept the past as done and move on or have you....

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
It seems to me that the blacks have never really got over the "slave" days. It seems like that an easy way to bail out and not take responsiblity. I am not racist by any means, but they are prodminatly the group that says they are "entitled" to this and that cause of their color?

I am asian and I never expect to recieve anything in life unless I earned it. In order to move forward you have to accept the past and really just get over it.

I know in my asian community we support eachother heavily in more ways than one. The priorities are based on family, education and etc... This seems to be heavily missing in the black culture. Of course, this not all blacks...I am even voting for Obama! Frankly, I am just tired of the "some" of the blacks that continue to scream "racism" when they don't get what they want.

The statistics are staggering...you can't ignore the facts. I hope that Bill Cosby should be commended for speaking out and this "real" issue.

At least a third of all homeless men are African-American.
African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.
I think the Asians in California didn't get the memo on this one. As people have stated already, people are people. I don't care what color you are, in every ethnic group you have those who are good and upstanding and those who are not, period.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think the Asians in California didn't get the memo on this one. As people have stated already, people are people. I don't care what color you are, in every ethnic group you have those who are good and upstanding and those who are not, period.
So, you do agree or disagree that the AA has a strong support system in their own culture?

And I do agree it doesn't matter what color you are everyone is equal. All of a sudden this has become a "race" issue...and this is what I mean? why don't we talk about the issue on hand w/o bringing in "racism" or "race" into it?

Obviously, if AA makes only 12% of the US population and the prisoners are 50% AA than of the jail population there are some major problems here. What do you think about that?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Another problem (and I am speaking of whites,blacks,hispanics,etc.) is too many young people think selling drugs and getting money for expensive cars,$500 shoes and gold jewelry is a better alternative than staying in school or getting a job that doesn't pay a huge amount. (I see a lot of this mentality where I live). Bill Cosby made some very good points! A 12 year-old from the town where I live was arrested for trying to steal a car. He was living with relatives. Both his parents were in jail for selling drugs (great example for their child)

Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Shouldnt the minorities? Excuse me, Asians are on average the wealthiest and most highly educated race in this country-not y'all.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Okay, fine and I am sorry that anyone had to deal with slavery...disgusting thing. Just like when my grandfather was killed by the north koreans, my grandmother was takem hostage by the japanese...but at what point do accept the past as done and move on or have you....
I agree with you...(I'm married to an American Indian). Everyone, sooner or later, must make the choice to 'stew' in the injustices of the past..OR to move on to the opportunities of tomorrow...and NOBODY can do both.

My only point was that...(in YOUR case, for example)...your "anger" over the past is directed at the Japanese, and the North Koreans. You aren't AMONG the Japanese or the North Koreans. The "anger" felt by poorly-educated inner city blacks is an anger at "white America"....and they LIVE in "white America", among the very "group" that, in THEIR eyes, is responsible for their problems.

Is it ACCURATE? No, not very. Is it PRODUCTIVE? No, it's not. Have MANY blacks taken the 'high road' and moved on into happy and prosperous lives? Of COURSE.

My ONLY point was that YOUR anger, and MY anger, at past injustices may be easier to deal with, because our 'tormentors' live elsewhere...but in the case of American blacks, their 'tormentors' (such as they are called) live right HERE (and for the really paranoid, it's easy to make a case that their 'tormentors' are STILL tormenting them)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies