Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 112,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Hey is it wrong for me to care? Is it wrong of me than to have an opinion?

And don't you think that a discussion and visiblity of this issue is good for all of us in the end?
No my dear sir.

I want you to care but you seem to have not been exposed to the FULLNESS of America's life.

If you came from another country most often you will be HUSTLING and BUSLING with mainly rough looking minority-America in urban America and not the silky smooth common folk that inhabit the hills, suburbs, mountains, valleys, and seaside.

Yeah those common folks are so responsible they love their tool sheds so much out there when in reality its a hot house to grow marijuana or to get away from the misses to treat chronic depression.

Just like television, we are always stuck on the images.

Yes you brought up a topic but just like that Cosby man there is no solution when you dont have the complete picture yet.

But please do carry on, dont let me stop you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Perhaps it would have been somewhat less disingenuous had ‘black’ been used in the thread title, rather than ‘minorities.’ Obviously, the OP has ‘issues’ with blacks, not simply ‘minorities’ -- of which, the OP would have inclusion. There are many intelligent, educated and prosperous blacks –- living the ultimate “American Dream” -- well-educated, six/seven-figure careers, private education for their children, monogamous/happy marriages, ingrained values, expensive homes/cars, fabulous vacations, etc.

A few references:

Affluent African Americans Wealthier Than the Overall Affluent Market - DMNews
Report: Affluent African-Americans have 45% of buying power - Research - BizReport
The Institute for Luxury Home Marketing
Needed: Financial Planning Services for Increasingly Affluent African-Americans

Many such as yourself, who immigrate to the United States, have preconceived negative stereotypes. Unfortunately, much is perpetuated by the degrading images depicted in movies and rap/hip-hop music videos. In particular, it’s much more profitable for CEO’s in the music industry to promote stereotypical sex and violence among blacks. Let’s face it; positive images don’t generate much revenue.

I have a fervent belief in the rule of law, and do not condone or excuse criminality. However, you have emphasized the disproportionate percentage of incarcerated blacks. I think most will concur; it is much easier to succeed in life when one is born into affluence, as opposed to poverty. Albeit, poverty is not an excuse for criminality –- it nevertheless is a fundamental factor –- irrespective of race or ethnicity. Again; there is no justification for criminal behavior. However, socioeconomic factors are relevant indicators of one’s propensity for criminal behavior, as well as, one’s ability to commit crimes with impunity. Criminals are represented by every segment of society. Unfortunately, the poor (black, white, etc.) have a higher incidence of incarceration than the wealthy for similar offenses. Money talks – many affluent ‘guilty’ are absolved due to high-powered expensive attorneys, while the poor are convicted and imprisoned.

The majority of incarcerated blacks are serving time for drug-related offenses. It is well-documented that blacks convicted of drug possession/distribution involving ‘crack’ cocaine routinely receive harsher penalties than their white counterparts convicted of equivalent amounts of ‘powder’ cocaine. Same drug –- different consistencies –- huge conviction rate/sentencing disparity.

A few references:
Drug Policy Alliance: Legislative Proposals for Reform of the Crack/Cocaine Disparity
The Crack-Powder Cocaine Disparity: A Chronology - TalkLeft: The Politics Of Crime
Crack-Sentencing Reductions Decried - washingtonpost.com

We are ALL products of our heredity, environment, and self-actualization. Some born into affluence have the drive to succeed – while others don’t; notwithstanding abundant resources. If not for trust-funds, many born into affluence would be homeless. Conversely, some born into abject poverty manage to succeed, in spite of their circumstances, due to sheer intestinal fortitude.

I find it rather ironic you chose to reference Bill Cosby on the Oprah Winfrey Show -- both super-wealthy, successful and black -- atypical of the black ‘image’ you attempt to propagate in this thread.

Your ‘meaningful dialogue’ on this ‘ignored’ subject is merely a subterfuge. Why not do a little unbiased research. Better yet, why not take the time to actually ‘know’ decent black people. I’m sure you would be astonished to learn the ‘average’ black is NOT on welfare, is NOT a gang member, is NOT a drug dealer – or any of the ‘other’ negative stereotypes.

Your perception of blacks is understandable. After all, we are what we live. If one is never exposed to urbane, intelligent blacks -- and relies on the MSM or black-exploitative movies and music videos as a primary perspective -- one certainly cannot be expected to embrace or acknowledge the reality of black America.

BTW, perhaps a little introspection is warranted. Learn to love and accept yourself -- bitterness is self-destructive.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru-bare View Post
Hey I guess since you moved to this country over 30 years ago I can say hey you and your family did not take repsonsibility of your own country or your former country is now a utopia (without you) and may you kindly recommend an African-american to go to your former country to learn responsibility.

I guess no African american can hear you since you have Oprah on full blast volume from television.

One thing a television does not have is EARS...

Not only do I not understand the point, if there is one, in this response...But the smiley things are overkill.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But back to the topic, I really don't give a crap about the underclass blacks (or anyone else) who don't value the quality of education and being civilized, but as for minorities who take responsibility, how about the non-blacks take up their part of the promise by stop placing them in the same perspective as the stereotypical blacks and allowing the responsible blacks to be a part of their society! Just like you have for the South Asian Indians, Americanized Latinos, Middle Easterners (at least before 9/11), and especially Asians! And I don't mean just allowing them to have the well-paying job and the house in the suburbs, but befriending them, inviting them to socials, letting their children play with your children, and especially dating and marrying them. I don't have anything against other minorities being accepted as part of the American society when they've worked for it, but why isn't this the case when a non-stereotypical black person does the exact same thing? Non-blacks letting non-stereotypical blacks become a part of their society may be the case in some parts of the United States, but it's damn sure not the case where I am (and I'm not living in the South).
I agree 100%. To some people, it doesn't matter if we are the most upstanding, model citizens. Assumptions will always be made. Look at the few posts in this very thread above yours. I might as well walk around with my transcripts, resume, and work performance/merit plan attached to my clothes. And even that won't be enough for some people.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I agree 100%. To some people, it doesn't matter if we are the most upstanding, model citizens. Assumptions will always be made. Look at the few posts in this very thread above yours. I might as well walk around with my transcripts, resume, and work performance/merit plan attached to my clothes. And even that won't be enough for some people.
Because those of us who do the hard work are rarely the ones that are shown in the media. There are always subcultures within a culture. As long as those subcultures are getting the most attention and people choose not to seek out those of us who are not in that minority, ignorance will continue to be the dish of the day!!

I think that some people will never acknowledge the success of black people here in the United States. To acknowledge it would be a defeat to themselves. Some folks just need to think badly about others to elevate or lend power to their own insecurities.

When you mention transcripts, resume, and work performance. Those can be considered a threat to some people. How dare you succeed against so many odds!!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM

36 posts, read 112,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Not only do I not understand the point, if there is one, in this response...But the smiley things are overkill.

Thanks, don't worry I do understand your point.

You just forgot to include my first response.

Everything has a beginning and apparently an end.

Glad you notice I am just full of smiles.

Dont be ashamed, take one.

I wont mind.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM

21 posts, read 42,523 times
This is not an asian / black / white issue. Attained by the US Census Bureau / by Race; of employed and educational level attained:

Percent of families employed by race:

White 65%

African American 51%

Asian 73%

Latino and Hispanic 62% Educational Attainment: Bachelor's Degree or Higher

[SIZE=3]White: Native – 29.7% / Foreign 37.6%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Black: Native – 16.3% / Foreign 25.4%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Asian: Native 48.3% / Foreign 50.1%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Latino: Native 13.5% / Foreign 9.8% [/SIZE]

Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER04 View Post
This is not an asian / black / white issue. Attained by the US Census Bureau / by Race; of employed and educational level attained:

Percent of families employed by race:

White 65%

African American 51%

Asian 73%

Latino and Hispanic 62%

Educational Attainment: Bachelor's Degree or Higher

White: Native – 29.7% / Foreign 37.6%
Black: Native – 16.3% / Foreign 25.4%
Asian: Native 48.3% / Foreign 50.1%
Latino: Native 13.5% / Foreign 9.8%
Bill Cosby has a point. Thank God someone from his race is standing up to themselves.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Actually, many African immigrant groups earn more than Asians:

United States foreign born per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, we are talking about the US here. And the Asians earn more by average then the AA. Give all the info and not just what fits with you agenda. Oh, did you see the previous numbers. Continually by the Census Bureau AA are of the lowest of all races in employment, education, income. You can make any arguement you like, BUT THERE IS AN ISSUE HERE! I would be ashamed if I was black with these type of numbers and it's no wonder that Bill Cosbly wrote the book that he did and with any minority with Cilvil Rights and the advantages they have there is no excuse for these numbers. We know that "slavery" was an issue, now we know the problem so lets' move on to the solution! I am so tired to the wining! I think that the blacks keep themselfves down with the Al Sharpton and Jesse's continually reminding them of the victims.

Household income trends by race

Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I think you have an i[SIZE=3]nferiority[/SIZE] complex, because you keep dodging the issue.

And yet, what you continually do is bring up the fact that I am putting "AA" down. Get over it, because I am not. I am bringing awareness instead.
you are not bringing ANY meaningful awareness to ANYONE. Unless you have done extensive research, you are just regurgitating another person's opinions and that does little. Have you studied educational institutions in low income areas? Have you researched family make up in low income areas? Have you done research into job availability in these areas? Have you done research into social programs across a wide geographical range affecting the subject group?

See, to have a real meaningful "discussion" on any subject matter we need to do meaningful research on the subject first. Meaningful research does not mean reposting a bunch of statistical data either. Statistical data can be misconstrued if not looked at in the proper context. For example, lets look at the make of inmates on death row. Well to do that you also have to take into account how many people have not been given a fair trial, or information with held at trial which could have proved innocence etc. All of which could have been by products of racism. This is not a easy discussion to say the least and it is something best left to those who have put the proper time in. Just looking at one video posted from Bill Cosby where he says a person was called "white" because they studied was absolutely stupid. Growing up I knew a guy who sold the most marijuana in my school. In fact his home was raided senior year. Funny thing about this guy is, he was a A student, I swear to God. He was smart as hell, just happened to sell drugs (shrugs). I remember I was hanging out with him once and he was telling me about his daily routine when he gets home from school. It consisted of sparking up some "mary jane" and studying (this a true life story). Never once did someone call him white for doing what he did. Another friend of ours hustled crack and was on the school football team and also held down a B average. I remember how shocked I was when it was report card time and he showed us his grades. I grew up among some real street types and I can assure you a lot of stuff Bill Cosby is talking about is stuff he picked up on while watching MTV music videos. He is a wealthy man and doesnt live in the inner city. Hasn't in a extremely long time (I think he really started getting serious money in his twenties). So, he has a bit of a disconnect when it comes to this issue. I think thats what really angers people really out there in the streets. Oprah, Bill Cosby and all the rest of them are not on the front line so their opinions are bit meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies