Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

These are not real jobs where you clock in and out and collect a paycheck.

Alibaba is just a platform for people to sell stuff.

Small business owners can already do that on EBay, Etsy and
Amazon.

Alibaba is renowned for selling counterfeit merchandise.

The announcement is nothing but smoke and wishful thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
This could kill small businesses on eBay, amazon, and etsy. People who sell on those platforms want Ali Baba GONE.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Ali Baba is propped up by the Chinese government whenever it gets into trouble.

Trump won't prop up Amazon if it ends up losing out to Ali Baba.

If I'm going to buy Chinese goods no matter how it goes, I would rather have some of my money staying right here than going to China and staying there. The last thing American retail needs is a gigantic Chinese retailer moving in to sell the same products with a stack of protectional advantages.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Alibaba has been attempting to do this for years. They have been tying to setup an American business network to sell goods to China. American goods are popular in China, but it's going to be tough to beat their prices, their labor is just too cheap. I don't buy they are going to create a million jobs, I would be happy if they reach 10% of that goal in 5 years.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The reason people shop Amazon and ebay is because Alibaba is held back by tariffs and many trade laws. If Alibaba is allowed to build warehouses here, Amazon and ebay would lose a ton of business. Most of the resellers here get their stuff from Alibaba and resold on ebay and amazon.
Alibaba has been in the US for years, they are traded on the NYSE. Alibaba is more of a wholesaler, people buy hundreds of a product for resale. That's one of the major points. So yes, they are reselling on other websites and stores.

They want US business to join to sell to China, not to sell to the US. That's where the supposed job growth would come from.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha these '1 million' jobs are exactly the sort of part time, independent contractor, gig economy jobs that you all bashed Obama for! How hypocritical.

Jack Ma and China are toying with Donald Trump, dangling carrots in front of Trump's dumb @ss.
Of course they are.

As has been noted in the other thread about this same subject, this is just more smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This has to be a lie.

The dems all told us repeatedly that Trump was going to destroy free trade.
Trump said it.

Perhaps he run for President to "negociate" with exporters dome "Extra treaty" agreements which will fill Trump's Pockets.

Let us put it this way, You ara Alibaba Owner and I have harassed Chinese importations and thus your interest are damaged by my speach, thus I allow you to aproach me to "negociate" So I know that you make 1 billion a year on your trade and to allow you to keep that profit I want to participate of your success by 50 million a year in contributions to certain fundation.... Oh yeah Like a Boss

You picked a negociator without scrupulous or decency, as the POTUS.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:27 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Donald Trump announced discussions with Ali Baba's owner to create 1 million new jobs in the United States. Barack Obama said these jobs will never return. Gotta love a positive attitude. Trump has made agreements prior to taking office which will have the private sector creating almost 1.5 million jobs and investing more than 2.5 trillion dollars. This is investment that doesn't cost the taxpayer anything, and creates tax paying jobs. So far Apple, Ali Baba, Ford, Fiat Chrysler, Carrier and a few others have made commitments to US jobs. Watch out Disney, Nestle, GM, Microsoft, Hershey and others, soon President Trump will want to discuss your plans to hire Americans and not foreign workers.

Alibaba's Jack Ma says job creation will focus on small business
>>>> OOPS!!!!!!!!!! <<<<<

Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
They have canceled the pledge citing Donald Trump's trade war.

Thanks Trump

Jack Ma: Trade war has killed my pledge to create 1 million US jobs

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/19/tec...obs/index.html

"This promise was on the basis of friendly China-US cooperation and reasonable bilateral trade relations, but the current situation has already destroyed that basis," Ma said. "This promise can't be completed."

Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They have canceled the pledge citing Donald Trump's trade war.

Thanks Trump

Jack Ma: Trade war has killed my pledge to create 1 million US jobs

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/19/tec...obs/index.html

"This promise was on the basis of friendly China-US cooperation and reasonable bilateral trade relations, but the current situation has already destroyed that basis," Ma said. "This promise can't be completed."

He's retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies