Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

saigista

I do agree with you 100% on laissez fair, I think its a absurd concept. Economy needs to be regulated to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Well, I guess one could have said the same thing about Hiroshima or Nagasaki. I mean, after a while...
Nothing goes better with a glass of wine like a little hyperbole.

Quote:
All that they need to learn is that they shouldn't trust laissez-faire free market economics. This is a lesson that has been learned before. Too many people forgot. The current difficulties arise all but entirely from policies that people from your neck of the woods recommended and pushed through to adoption. You all were wrong. Again.
We never had free market economics after the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. We also lost our fiscal freedoms that year with the enaction of the income tax.

Serving more FDR apologist New Deal kool-aid?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Back to the original topic of credit card debt and what should the government do.

Why does this always seem to be a reoccurring type of problem? What ever happened to having to have 10% down to buy a home or a car or most major purchases? Does it never cross peoples mind that a persons credit rating may also be in part due to the current economic cycle and may not prove the same during difficult times?

Seems everyone is at fault, people living beyond their means, banks and lenders lending money to people who bare if at all qualify, and a government willing (even if reluctantly) to bail everyone out for being idiots at the expense of everyone else who may actually manage their finances well. Some days, I half hope it all falls a part and Congressman Gordon looks me up to ask for gardening tips.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
saigista

I do agree with you 100% on laissez fair, I think its a absurd concept. Economy needs to be regulated to a certain extent.
Regulation is a slippery slope.

Look at where we're at now. Do you think our markets are really that free and accessible?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 PM

^^

You know, to be honest, I agree with you. I kind of hope our country totally tanks and we are FORCED to re work our entire way of being. I hate to see people suffer but it will take that for things to change.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IMO I think if the government bails them out..they'll just return to what they were doing before and will treat it like a clean slate..ready to start over again. They won't go through any major hardship and learn from it.
Suffering is noble. It steels the soul, so let's all have some more suffering. What the world needs now is suffering, sweet suffering. That's the only thing that there's just too little of...

Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Nothing goes better with a glass of wine like a little hyperbole.

We never had free market economics after the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. We also lost our fiscal freedoms that year with the enaction of the income tax.

Serving more FDR apologist New Deal kool-aid?
we are not doing laissez faire we are doing laissez les bonne temps roulez
fun but far more risky.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Back to the original topic of credit card debt and what should the government do.

Why does this always seem to be a reoccurring type of problem? What ever happened to having to have 10% down to buy a home or a car or most major purchases? Does it never cross peoples mind that a persons credit rating may also be in part due to the current economic cycle and may not prove the same during difficult times?

Seems everyone is at fault, people living beyond their means, banks and lenders lending money to people who bare if at all qualify, and a government willing (even if reluctantly) to bail everyone out for being idiots at the expense of everyone else who may actually manage their finances well. Some days, I half hope it all falls a part and Congressman Gordon looks me up to ask for gardening tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Regulation is a slippery slope.

Look at where we're at now. Do you think our markets are really that free and accessible?
credit cards are not very regulated and if you watch that video I posted, you will see the havoc that has caused. Also, check out a movie called maxed out. Also the banking industry wasn't regulated when they came up with these absolutely ridiculous exotic loans and look where that got us. It should be law 20% down and the house can be no more than 2.5 to 3.5 times annual income depending on the persons existing debt. For example if a person makes 40,000 a year then they can afford a 120,000 dollar home and they must put 20% down. If these were actual laws, that would stop run up in home prices, and speculative bubbles in housing. Laws like this should be put on the books across the board. You can not trust greedy and uneducated people to govern themselves (via a laissez faire economy). You do that and things will get out of hand and then the correction will be devastating.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree..72% consumer spending is not the way to run our economy.
A little background...

Personal consumption expenditures as a percent of GDP...

1950 = 65.4
1960 = 63.0
1970 = 62.4
1980 = 63.0
1990 = 66.2
2000 = 69.7
2007 = 70.3

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
credit cards are not very regulated and if you watch that video I posted, you will see the havoc that has caused. Also, check out a movie called maxed out. Also the banking industry wasn't regulated when they came up with these absolutely ridiculous exotic loans and look where that got us. It should be law 20% down and the house can be no more than 2.5 to 3.5 times annual income depending on the persons existing debt. For example if a person makes 40,000 a year then they can afford a 120,000 dollar home and they must put 20% down. If these were actual laws, that would stop run up in home prices, and speculative bubbles in housing. Laws like this should be put on the books across the board. You can not trust greedy and uneducated people to govern themselves (via a laissez faire economy). You do that and things will get out of hand and then the correction will be devastating.
If the Fed didn't artificially lower rates, you wouldn't have seen the endless amount of no money down mortgage commercials a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies