Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 683,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Let me help you with an analogy:

I have a neighbor and we get along alright, but there's one thing that bugs me. His dog keeps coming in my yard tearing up my flower bed and digging holes.

It doesn't really affect our friendship that much, though sometimes it gets old. I still loan him money on occasion and let him borrow my tools when he needs to. There kids stay at my house after school until one of them gets home from work and sometimes my wife and I watch their kids when they have their "date night", etc.

So I came up with a brilliant idea. I am going to erect a fence that will keep his dog out of my yard. I asked him if he would help with the cost, because after all, I wouldn't need the fence if his dog stayed in his own yard, but he said that was "unacceptable".

So what will happen is I will pay for the fence, but rest assured he will ultimately pay for it.
I will stop loaning him money and tools and make him buy his own. I will stop watching his kids after school and he'll have to pony up for daycare and a baby-sitter for date night. He might THINK he isn't going to pay for it, but in the end he will pay for that fence and then some just on general principle.

Let me put it this way, US Word is absolutely UNWORTHY, taking from your example, Let us say that your neighbour acepts to Pay for the fence, ¿What would warranty to him that you will keep lending him money? NOTHING. ¡What would warranty that you will keep taking Care of his kids? NOTHING. So from my perspective you should already taking those kids out of your Livingroom where you invite them to stay, and you can request your money to be given back. It is your fence and you MUST pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:

I have a neighbor and we get along alright, but there's one thing that bugs me. His dog keeps coming in my yard tearing up my flower bed and digging holes.

It doesn't really affect our friendship that much, though sometimes it gets old. I still loan him money on occasion and let him borrow my tools when he needs to. We take their kids to school when we take ours in the mornings and their kids stay at my house after school until one of them gets home from work and sometimes my wife and I watch their kids when they have their "date night", etc.

So I came up with a brilliant idea. I am going to erect a fence that will keep his dog out of my yard. I asked him if he would help with the cost, because after all, I wouldn't need the fence if his dog stayed in his own yard, but he said that was "unacceptable".

So what will happen is I will pay for the fence, but rest assured he will ultimately pay for it.
I will stop loaning him money and tools and make him buy his own. I will stop watching his kids after school and he'll have to pony up for daycare and a baby-sitter for date night. He might THINK he isn't going to pay for it, but in the end he will pay for that fence and then some just on general principle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Will they cut us a check? Never.

Would we get it back by more companies staying here, less illegal immigration and less currency leaving the US? Eventually, depending on various factors.
Yes, we can let the Mexicans save face by not cutting us a check for the wall, I have no problem with that, but they will pay for the wall one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
Let me put it this way, US Word is absolutely UNWORTHY, taking from your example, Let us say that your neighbour acepts to Pay for the fence, ¿What would warranty to him that you will keep lending him money? NOTHING. ¡What would warranty that you will keep taking Care of his kids? NOTHING. So from my perspective you should already taking those kids out of your Livingroom where you invite them to stay, and you can request your money to be given back. It is your fence and you MUST pay for it.
There is no warranty that the neighbor will continue to give you more, and do more for you than you do for him.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
in his example it's called goodwill. It's a business term.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 PM

One of those times when US gave its "Word" was when Bush told Govachev that if he releases Germany, US wont allow NATO to move far from Germany border....

US Word is WORTHLESS.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Quote:

It doesn't really affect our friendship that much, though sometimes it gets old. I still loan him money on occasion and let him borrow my tools when he needs to. We take their kids to school when we take ours in the mornings and their kids stay at my house after school until one of them gets home from work and sometimes my wife and I watch their kids when they have their "date night", etc.

You forgot the added benefit where the cost of the wall is less than the expense incurred from say 5 incidents of dog digging out your garden.

According to CBS, the US government spends $650 million a year in direct aid to illegals in Los Angeles county alone.

According to a study conducted by SANDAG on the impact on road infrastructure during the " day without immigrants" protest, the agency calculated that they could cancel $9 BILLION in road improvements over 20 years in San Diego county, if those conditions became everyday.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
in his example it's called goodwill. It's a business term.
Nothing warranties Goodwill.. I call it Blackmailing

Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Will they cut us a check? Never.

Would we get it back by more companies staying here, less illegal immigration and less currency leaving the US? Eventually, depending on various factors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Mexico understands if we continue to bring Manufactures back to the US and Build the wall we could force Mexico to go Broke with the prospect of millions of Mexican being unemployed.

In the end they will either control their boarders or they will pay for the wall!
Isn't Trump committed to making those things happen anyway?

So what's in the deal for Mexico's cooperation?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
One of those times when US gave its "Word" was when Bush told Govachev that if he releases Germany, US wont allow NATO to move far from Germany border....

US Word is WORTHLESS.
If it was worthless, nothing that's happening would be happening. You are injecting emotions into something economic.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Another option is "the dog dies."

Take your pick.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Nothing warranties Goodwill.. I call it Blackmailing
I'm sure you're the life of a party lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies