Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd like him to be in GP for a little while. He definitely won't have a hard arse after that.

No I don't normally sanction prison rape, but for this assclown, I'll make an exception.

You think that's all that would happen to him? He'd be killed like Jeffrey Dahmer was when they placed him into the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Good. Why should the people of SC be forced to pay to clothe, house, feed, medicate, etc. this guy for the rest of his life while he cavorts with white supremacist gangs in prison? They also force other prisoners into their group through threat of violence.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The only reason to take a persons life is to protect property or the life of another. Revenge murder is just that, murder. Government does not own the individuals life and should never be allowed to take it. Without the right to life, the other rights are meaningless.
The same argument could be made about taxes and every regulation the government has in our lives. He lost his right to life when he went into a church and blew away a bunch of elderly people praying.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Should we release him ? Maybe he can be reformed you think ?
Release him for what? He's a head case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Solves finances of keeping him alive another 4 decades.
No it doesn't. Death penalty ends up costing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It solves the problem of what to do with him.
No it doesn't. He can be jailed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It goes a long way toward ensuring he won't do it again.
Life in prison does the same thing without being a party to killing someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's appropriate punishment, no other justification is needed.
Of course justification is needed. His own victim's families forgave him.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Good. Why should the people of SC be forced to pay to clothe, house, feed, medicate, etc. this guy for the rest of his life while he cavorts with white supremacist gangs in prison? They also force other prisoners into their group through threat of violence.
Costs the taxpayers more to keep him on death row.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The thing I will never forget is how the parishioners forgave him the very day he did this horrible act and said they would pray for him.

That was very moving for me.
Those parishioners are the ones who truly believe in their faith of God. God is forgiving so of course they would practice that. It was extremely moving. Then you have people who claim to be Christians and hide behind their faith to justify their hatred and judgement in the name of God. Sadly, I now a few like that.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
The same argument could be made about taxes and every regulation the government has in our lives.
Taxes and regulations are about revenge?

Quote:
He lost his right to life when he went into a church and blew away a bunch of elderly people praying.
It's not your call or anyones call to decide on who lives and who doesn't. Government didn't give that individual their life, government doesn't own it, government should never take it away.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take it away.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Another drain on the US Taxpayers for decades to come. If you're sentenced to death and there is zero doubt you're innocent, you need to be put down within a week. It's a joke that these people just sit on Death Row for 20+ years.
This one actually shouldn't take that long (relatively speaking) given that it was at the federal level (the only advantage to having the case brought in federal court first, IMO). Had the feds let South Carolina go first (I hope South Carolina doesn't even bring a case as it threatens to tie things up even longer), then Roof would have the right to appeal up to the South Carolina Supreme Court, before initiating a federal habeas corpus petition (going from federal district court to court of appeals to US Supreme Court).

Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Costs the taxpayers more to keep him on death row.
At his age, I don't know if this is true. Roof is long, and could be expected to live another 5 to 7 decades if not for this sentence of death. Not to mention that, when comparing costs, its important to look into fact that Roof would have the right to appeal (which cost time and money) through the state court system (and into federal system) even if he was only sentenced to life without possibility of parole. When I hear anti-death penalty campaigners bringing up cost issue (not that this is you . . . just a general observation of mine), I never see the cost of regular life in prison sentence appeals being taken into account.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
He will be a much older man if he ever see's execution at all. The system is a joke. They sit on death row way too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies