Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,816,471 times

Advertisements

Antivaxxers are stupid.
"Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Go ask you grandparents or anyone over 80 or so about vaccines.....
Go check mortality rates and causes of death from the 1800s & 1900s

Common retort:
"Yea well we just don't have those diseases anymore these days."

Yea no ****. BECAUSE OF VACCINES!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,299,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am 2 years younger than Trump, and also from NYC. We either had or were exposed to those diseases long before those vaccines came out. Teenagers. They did not give a kid a measles vax when they already had the disease. MMR is not required for our generation. Polio vaccination? Yes, they came around to give us that in school (think I was around 7), BUT we were still school age when that one came out too and had probably already been exposed to it, especially living in a big city. You do know that you can be asymptomatic to polio? A lot of people in my generation were probably exposed to polio before that vax was ever invented. We did have DPT but the last of that was given at around 4 years old. I found my old vaccination records. My last vaccination was in 1952. The list is very, very small. Again, I am Trump's age.

My daughters are in the 30's. Yes, they got MMR, DPT, Polio, but none of those others because they were not around. By the time the Varcella (spelling?) vax came out, they already had the disease. Why would their doctor give them that? How old are Trump's kids? Didn't they grow up in NYC too? They might have had that disease also. HIB came out when mine were teens. I declined that for them, and the school did not require a new vaccine for HS students. I also declined that for my job in public schools. Adults can decline that, no questions asked. OSHA Opt. Out form. K-12 Public School Staff are not required to have or show proof of vaccinations.

The only vaccine that was required for European travel back in the 60's was Small Pox. I have never been to those other countries so I cannot say what is required. Caribbean travel doesn't require anything today.

Maybe Trump has gotten more vaccines for travel, but he is on the record as saying he has never gotten a flu shot. Who knows if he is up to date on boosters or anything else "required" for his age? I might question that given what has been written about his personal physician. He has also said that he doesn't want the White House Doctor. Make you wonder?

Trump is certainly a character, to put it mildly. No, I did not vote for him.
Lemme tell you: I procrastinated getting my flu shot this year and ended up with the flu. NEVER AGAIN will I miss getting that vaccine. I have never been this sick in my life! It's been nearly two weeks, and I still feel like I've been run over by a truck.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 AM

37,007 posts, read 41,043,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I doubt any of us are posting here while immobilized in an iron lung. Right?
Right, though there are a few people still using them.

60 years in an iron lung: US polio survivor worries about new global threat - NBC News

Edited to add: There were 39 total cases of polio in the entire world last year. Polio will eventually be eradicated, as smallpox has been, by vaccination. Yet parents who pick and choose which vaccines to give will almost always give the polio vaccine, because the idea of paralysis is so scary. Their illiteracy about the science of vaccines is so profound that they cannot understand that in the US dying from flu is far more likely than being paralyzed by polio.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-12-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 AM

52,451 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Trump team denies skeptic Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was asked to head vaccine commission - CNNPolitics.com

Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM

77,970 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Anti-Vaccine Activist Says Trump Asked Him to Head Commission on Vaccine Safety - NBC News

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/stat...97616222191617

Why the hell not?

Let's put a flat earther in charge of NASA.

Trump is going to take away their healthcare anyway, so they won't be able to afford vaccines in the first place.

1. Take away healthcare
2. Outlaw vaccines
3. Increase environmental pollution by removing business emissions and dumping regulations.
Hey look another person twisting things to make fake news and then claiming Trump is going to outlaw vaccines. LMAO.

Holy crap I honestly do not think you realize how much you're helping Trump with those types of whacked out posts.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 AM

77,970 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Grrrr. &%$@&%@! anti vaxxers. Wife found their spew when my kids were very young. Had so many fights with her about this. On top of 2 jobs, I had to take them for their shots even though she is a SAHM. Then got the cold shoulder for 3 days after for "ignoring her concerns"
The main driver of the autism by vaccine hype is that women in the US have been having kids at older and older ages which has a proven link to autism. Rather than face that reality it's just much easier to blame it on vaccines. I recall seeing the chart and the risk doubles about every 5 years after age 20.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM

37,007 posts, read 41,043,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The main driver of the autism by vaccine hype is that women in the US have been having kids at older and older ages which has a proven link to autism. Rather than face that reality it's just much easier to blame it on vaccines. I recall seeing the chart and the risk doubles about every 5 years after age 20.
The age related risk is complicated and includes paternal age and the gap between maternal and paternal age as well as advancing age. Teen moms have been found to be at risk, too.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...risk-teen-moms

Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,635,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And, as I've posted before, father's ages as well.

"A large Swedish study finds that the risk of many psychiatric disorders is higher in children born to older fathers. The findings extend those of earlier studies linking higher autism risk to older dads. "

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...disorders-kids

While Trump may be now trying to walk this back, I don't doubt that he did have this meeting.
He has expressed views that are clearly anti-vaccination so I find this announcement completely plausible.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 AM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Lemme tell you: I procrastinated getting my flu shot this year and ended up with the flu. NEVER AGAIN will I miss getting that vaccine. I have never been this sick in my life! It's been nearly two weeks, and I still feel like I've been run over by a truck.
I haven't had the flu since my 40's, unlike Trump who has said never. Impossible? Slept in the same bed with my husband who had flu, been around my own children and kids in school with the flu, picked up many a dirty tissue and wiped noses, but never caught it from any of them. Science does not want to know WHY NOT. That will not promote the flu shot for all.

If I do not have the flu, or measles, mumps, etc. (had ALL of those myself), I cannot give it to anyone else.

On size fits all medicine, does not work.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, as I've posted before, father's ages as well.

"A large Swedish study finds that the risk of many psychiatric disorders is higher in children born to older fathers. The findings extend those of earlier studies linking higher autism risk to older dads. "

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...disorders-kids

While Trump may be now trying to walk this back, I don't doubt that he did have this meeting.
He has expressed views that are clearly anti-vaccination so I find this announcement completely plausible.
The CDC Director is resigning with Trump's inauguration. This could get interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies