Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e1e22#comments

I wonder what the liberals and Democrats' take on this is. Given that they sympathize with Muslims, they'll probably say its wrong.

But how is this different from forcing Christian-owned pharmacies in the United States to sell abortion drugs (which some states do) and forcing Christian bakeries and photographers to work gay weddings and therefore endorse gay marriage???

And by the way, China handles the Islamic terror threat in much less politically correct ways than Obama is okay with. Muslims are regularly stopped and frisked in China and profiling is done openly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

I wonder what the liberals and Democrats' take on this is. Given that they sympathize with Muslims, they'll probably say its wrong.

But how is this different from forcing Christian-owned pharmacies in the United States to sell abortion drugs (which some states do) and forcing Christian bakeries and photographers to work gay weddings and therefore endorse gay marriage???

And by the way, China handles the Islamic terror threat in much less politically correct ways than Obama is okay with. Muslims are regularly stopped and frisked in China and profiling is done openly.
We have Muslims here in the USA running liquor stores. I don't care on that mode.

As for stop and frisk, this is why I won't live in China. Ever. No, I am not a Muslim.

China doesn't seem to have a grip on terrorism. Terrorist attacks happen there more frequently than here. I also have to ask this. Most of China's Muslims are the non-Han Chinese peoples of the western part of the nation. I don't think they want to be part of the China.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
:sigh:

The difference is this:

A BAKERY which BAKES AND SELLS cakes can not discriminate against customers.

A STORE that does NOT WISH to SELL a product, should not be compelled to do so by the government.

IOW, if the US government told a bakery they had to sell meat products you would have a valid analogy. As it stands now, you do not.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:

China handles all of their domestic issues in much less politically correct ways. It has one of the worst rights records on free speech and freedom of expression in the world. While economically they have shifted towards capitalism, they still take a lot of communist led publicly policy initiatives, such as suppression of individualism/religion/outside the box thinking.

I'm not a liberal nor democrat but I think any *American* would view such law with angst. No one should be forced to sell something they don't want to sell or are not in the business of selling.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

A question, is this just meant to be an anti-liberal whine unsupported by anything factual or another attempt at feigned Christian victim-hood?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We have Muslims here in the USA running liquor stores. I don't care on that mode.

As for stop and frisk, this is why I won't live in China. Ever. No, I am not a Muslim.

China doesn't seem to have a grip on terrorism. Terrorist attacks happen there more frequently than here. I also have to ask this. Most of China's Muslims are the non-Han Chinese peoples of the western part of the nation. I don't think they want to be part of the China.
There is no place where a significant Muslim minority can live peacefully in a majority- non Muslim nation without wanting a separatist Islamic republic. The same has happened in Chechnya, the southern Philippines, the former Yugoslavia, northern Nigeria and yes in "Palestine".

At the same time, religious minorities and ethnic minorities are never truly seen as equals rather than outsiders in Muslim nations. Looks the Christians, Chaldeans, Yazidis, Kurds, Egyptian Copts, the Jews in Arab nations etc

Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
:sigh:

The difference is this:

A BAKERY which BAKES AND SELLS cakes can not discriminate against customers.

A STORE that does NOT WISH to SELL a product, should not be compelled to do so by the government.

IOW, if the US government told a bakery they had to sell meat products you would have a valid analogy. As it stands now, you do not.
Some state governments have required that all pharmacies sell abortion drugs. I believe Massachusetts, Illinois, and Washington State are some of them.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Some state governments have required that all pharmacies sell abortion drugs. I believe Massachusetts, Illinois, and Washington State are some of them.
Way to move the goal posts.

Are they making pharmacies sell them or saying pharmacists can't refuse to offer a product the pharmacy has in stock/sells?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
According to your article,

Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in its troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes, and promote them in “eye-catching displays,” in an attempt to undermine Islam’s hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported. Establishments that failed to comply were threatened with closure and their owners with prosecution.

You can't be thinking this is something good. Not all Muslims are terrorists. If they don't want to sell alcohol, what is the point of forcing them to sell it? Nobody likes bullies, I aint a Democrat, but bullying people like this is not something I can respect.

Have you been to xinjiang? I have. The locals will offer any strangers goat milk if you are thirsty. They are not bad people. Gee.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Basically western media reporting China news is full of lies and BS.
How is it even possible to require restaurants to sell alcohol? Use your brain to think.

Yes I lived in China so I know Western media is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies