Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

What I mean is:

He is still a reality show host to me and there is nothing about him I can find to respect, never mind, look at him and see a president.

I've observed the guy for 25 years and he is still the same immature, insecure, self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing, mercenary bully, and frankly not-so-bright person, he has always been.

I don't want to hear him or see his idiotic tweets. I think he's incredibly unethical, massively hypocritical, deceptive and means almost nothing he says.

Zero substance. There's no there there, and definitely no president. We've all worked with people who had 'titles' but never acted the role. It's like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
That they don't want to accept him as POTUS doesn't make it reality . He is their POTUS despite their childishness. At the point they wish to renounce their citizenship and move somewhere the leaders and dominant politics suit them, he would then no longer be their POTUS .

To say otherwise is as dumb as saying that cops arresting you are not lawful cops with the authority to do so because you don't recognize them as such . Good luck with that .
LOL.

That's really amusing.

We've had 8 years of Tea Partiers, Birthers, and other assorted neo-cons and white nationalists griping about how Obama was "not their President" and we're calling people who say that now "childish?"

He's not even formally inaugurated yet, so I fail to see how this remotely stacks up to the 8 years of the anti-Obama griping, moaning, swearing, gnashing of teeth, effigy burning, witch hunting, and otherwise petulant behavior. Does "Obummer" or "Nobama" or maybe "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" ring any bells here?

We have heard this crap for EIGHT LONG YEARS.

Or, did you not notice any of that?

I think that people saying "not my president" are merely stating that they don't claim him.

People realize he's going to be President once he's sworn in. If asked who the President of the US is, people will say "Donald Trump" or "Trump" or "The Donald" or "Cheeto Hitler" or what have you.

Because that will be what he is. There's no requirement here in the US that we LIKE our Presidents. Or that we even verbally CLAIM them.

I think all the "you cannot say that about Trump because he's the PRESIDENT!" stuff is just a bunch of his fanboys eager for people who don't like Trump to fall down on their knees and admit that he's super awesomesauce and nobody is gonna do that.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
What I mean is:

He is still a reality show host to me and there is nothing about him I can find to respect, never mind, look at him and see a president.

I've observed the guy for 25 years and he is still the same immature, insecure, self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing, mercenary bully, and frankly not-so-bright person, he has always been.

I don't want to hear him or see his idiotic tweets. I think he's incredibly unethical, massively hypocritical, deceptive and means almost nothing he says.

Zero substance. There's no there there, and definitely no president. We've all worked with people who had 'titles' but never acted the role. It's like that.
I'd rep that but I have to spread it around some more first.

EXACTLY. I feel like there are people who somehow missed the last, oh... 30 or so years of The Donald acting like a jackass on TV and in the papers and now they're utterly baffled as to what in the world anyone could POSSIBLY dislike about him.

I mean, even if you went on just what we've seen the last year, there's plenty, but to have seen this man's pattern over DECADES in the media and to think he's a super swell dude is just puzzling as hell to me.

I get voting for him because you really hated Clinton or whatever, but to act like he's peachy keen? That does not compute in any rational fashion.

At all.

So, when people are all starry eyed over him, I can only assume that they agree with all the nasty crap that he says and this makes me think they're JUST LIKE HIM.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It means exactly what it says it means - he's not their President. That means they do not accept him as their leader, they see him as unworthy of the Presidency, and they deny his right to lead the government as far as they have the power to determine that. In their position that doesn't mean much, but people have a right to take whatever approach they see fit with regards to any President so long as they do not interfere with any legal rights or privileges the President possesses.
My sense is that you and I are on different sides here in regard to Trump, but it is nice to see a mature reply on this thread.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have heard "He's not my President" in reference to Trump from friends, clients, online, even my mother. I was speaking with my Mom about this last night.

It doesn't matter that you didn't vote for Trump. It doesn't matter if you despise Trump. It doesn't matter if you fear for the future because of Trump. As far as I'm concerned it's a plain vanilla straight forward fact that Donald Trump IS YOUR president, the POTUS of every citizen in this country. I didn't vote for Trump, but he is MY President.

It means that, personally, I would rather watch the United States of America collapse and enter a depression/Civil War than be prosperous under him. Yep, I'M ROOTING FOR THE END OF THIS COUNTRY.

Trump is just about everything I hate rolled into one slimy, fascist package with a ferret sleeping on his head and a mail-order skank for a wife (who's probably a transexual)

He is NOT my president, and I will NEVER accept him as the "leader of the free-world," and I will NEVER believe anything that comes out of his mouth (unless he finally comes out the closet and announces his engagement to Putin)

I am considering burning a US flag at the next-anti Trump rally, because, as it stands now, it represents his federal government, and it is a government I do not recognize.

As of January 20th, I am officially an Enemy of the State, and he is "my president" about as much as Mussolini was the "president" of Albania or Ethiopia.

And we are saying this so that our state leaders know that we have their back. If and when the mayor of my city raises taxes to make up for what revenue we are losing thanks to Trump sending the gestapo to round up our Muslims and undocumented immigrants, I will DONATE MONEY to this city. When Trump tries to shut down Planned Parenthood, WE WILL FUND IT. When Trump attacked the New York Times, I PURCHASED A SUBSCRIPTION. When he tries to put Muslims in cattle cars and put journalists in jail for telling the truth, our state governments need to know WE HAVE THEIR BACK and we will defend the downtrodden from this piece of scum BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

And no, I don't care how many alt-right special snowflakes I just triggered.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It's perfectly fine not to respect him, to hate him, to think he's an idiot, whatever.

But I still don't understand how he's not your president. Obama gave his exit speech, and Trump will soon be inaugurated as POTUS. That makes him president. If you live in the U.S. and are a citizen, then by fact he is your president, like it or not. SO again, I don't understand what "He's not my president" means. You can say anything else about him, but the fact is he is the president, and mine as a citizen.

I live in Washington State and he did not win a single state on the entire West Coast. He is an occupying invader as for as I'm concerned, and he is "my president" about as much as King George the third was "king" of the 13 colonies.

Personally, I would rather die in a Civil War than live for one moment in a country that does the things Trump wants to do.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I live in Washington State and he did not win a single state on the entire West Coast. He is an occupying invader as for as I'm concerned, and he is "my president" about as much as King George the third was "king" of the 13 colonies.

Personally, I would rather die in a Civil War than live for one moment in a country that does the things Trump wants to do.
You'd rather die than get a job? Seek professional help.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You'd rather die than get a job? Seek professional help.

I have one, and some of my co-workers are Muslim and Latino. I do not want them to be treated any different than anyone else.

The only wall I want built is between the West Coast and Redneckistan

Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
I have heard "He's not my President" in reference to Trump from friends, clients, online, even my mother. I was speaking with my Mom about this last night.

It doesn't matter that you didn't vote for Trump. It doesn't matter if you despise Trump. It doesn't matter if you fear for the future because of Trump. As far as I'm concerned it's a plain vanilla straight forward fact that Donald Trump IS YOUR president, the POTUS of every citizen in this country. I didn't vote for Trump, but he is MY President.
For me, the president is the face of the country and they represent both our vision of America, our values, and where we'd like to see ourselves. The president represents how we want the world to see us.

The face Obama put on the US is one that is educated, accomplished, polished, well-spoken, committed to family, speaks in a measured way, is even-tempered and cosmopolitan. Obama also represents a sort of "global" perspective being the child of an immigrant and growing up in a state this is still a territory in many ways.

Whether you agree with his policies, Obama and his family represented the US well as the face of the country.

Donald Trump is a bully, makes sexist comments (but calls it locker room talk), speaks impulsively, holds a grudge and is a really polarizing figure. He represents (in temperament) a lot of the ugly american stereotypes. He isn't informed on international issues.

So when people are saying "he is not my president." They are saying they want to display a different representation of their country. In my opinion. Trump doesn't represent their aspirations for the country.*

*This is true for any case of saying So and So is not your president.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh please. The right constantly trashed those two at every opportunity. Spoiled brats could certainly apply to the Trump Cult as well as they screamed for a birth certficate, then crawled under the bed on the issue once it was produced. The only reason they did not say "he's not our President" about Obama is they didn't think of the phrase soon enough. But it's clearly how they felt.

So since your group did not accept or respect the previous President why in the world would we "suck it up" and support your choice?
I recall certain people who hated George W. Bush , and who thought he "stole the election"from algore in 2000 say that he was not their president either, so the phrase predated the election of Donald Trump.

Perhaps it's a sore loser Democrat thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies