Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Apparently Assange had agreed to surrender if Manning was released. That might be a fair trade.
No it isn't!! Obama is a total POS for this. Assange is not a US citizen. He has not committed treason. Bradley Manning is a freaking traitor! He deserves to at least spend the rest of his life in prison. And he sure didn't deserve for us to pay for his sex change. I'm so angry right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No. Assange said pardoned. Manning wasn't pardoned.
You mean he is going to dishonor his promise?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No it isn't!! Obama is a total POS for this. Assange is not a US citizen. He has not committed treason. Bradley Manning is a freaking traitor! He deserves to at least spend the rest of his life in prison. And he sure didn't deserve for us to pay for his sex change. I'm so angry right now!
What sex change?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

Manning only has been receiving hormonal treatment and other supportive gender reassignment services, not the full operation. With this commutation it is hardly likely the operation will take place while he is in military custody. So on that score the US military and by extension US taxpayers have dodged that financial bullet. However as noted if qualified Manning could turn to Medicaid in any of the several states that allow SRS as part of that healthcare scheme.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Just because he has the right doesn't mean it's a good one. It's a right that I would like to see amended by the Constitution.

Let's put it this way: Do you REALLY want Donald Trump to have the unilateral power to pardon criminals? I sure don't.
Yes. He cannot possibly be any worse than Obama.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Just because he has the right doesn't mean it's a good one. It's a right that I would like to see amended by the Constitution.

Let's put it this way: Do you REALLY want Donald Trump to have the unilateral power to pardon criminals? I sure don't.

Framers of the USC included pardon and or commutation powers for the POTUS as part of the "checks and balances" written into our government.

We all would like to believe justice is blind and fair, but obviously throughout the years we know this is not wholly true. Depending upon a vast and bewildering array of circumstances someone can be convicted of a crime and suffer all that goes with that action regardless of their actual guilt (or not).

The power for amnesty/pardon is probably one of the few things in the USC that mirrors the rights of monarchs in Europe. Then and now sovereigns have the power to pardon (though usually this is now executed via their ministers/government).

It is important to remember POTUS do not have the power to pardon/commute crimes besides those which involve the federal government. As for it being "unilateral" presidents of the USA have been rather restrained in using their power to pardon/commute. Obama just made history by issuing the most pardons/commutations of any POTUS in modern history, if not ever. He has issued more than at least the last 12 administrations combined.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
This person was pardoned by Obama only because Manning is a transsexual, in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Prior convictions under the espionage act were less than 3 years going back decades, she has served 7 years. Granted Manning released classified information in bulk but no one has served 35 years, also attempted suicide.

How do you feel about General Cartwright's pardon, no jail time at all.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
You're angry, but you don't even know what you're angry about. You just know you're supposed to be angry.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Prior convictions under the espionage act were less than 3 years going back decades, she has served 7 years. Granted Manning released classified information in bulk but no one has served 35 years, also attempted suicide.

How do you feel about General Cartwright's pardon, no jail time at all.
Manning did wrong with some extenuating circumstances. I think Pvt. Manning was remorseful to the point of laying down and not fighting back as he was being over prosecuted. Obama probably didn't want to address this one but it was probably the moral thing to do given that Trump was not going to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies