Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM

46,878 posts, read 25,845,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The children could be used at regional agri-farms until age 18. No TV or internet.
Their labor would help defer the costs incurred by their parents to the State.
Their parents could visit and even get a discount on vegetable purchases.
When they reach age 18 they would be given a modest stipend and released.
This would alter the behavior of the ones that perpetuate the cycle.
Any thoughts?
I think that fascism isn't even bothering to warp itself in a flag and carry a cross any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,311,105 times
I think... that this thread is proving to be a rich source for additions to my ignore list.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,747,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Rather then spending so much more on all these welfare benefits why just throw parents in jail who can't provide for their children?
It used to be that people who should not be having kids could easily get an abortion but the religious right has been busy removing that option. They want all these babies to come into screwed up family situations but then offer no help to those families.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,563,060 times
Quote:
The children could be used at regional agri-farms until age 18. No TV or internet.
Any thoughts?
Your suggestions seem to be very Dickensonian in nature - we don't live in such a heartless society and the state does not take care of children better than their parent(s). Removing a child from a home results in more aberrant behavior. Additionally, children are not at fault for the bad judgement of their parents. Plus doing what you suggest would violate the constitution. Unfortunately there is no laws against poor judgement.

It would be better to invest in schools in perpetually poor areas. Maintain discipline in the schools and push high academic standards. This has both failed and succeeded in some areas (like DC). This gives the children of the poor a path out of poverty.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,332,722 times
They limit birth control, don't want to pay for it and then this gem wants to imprison people because they are poor. You pretend to care about kids until the second get are born then wouldn't **** on them if they were on fire because, poor.

Funny thing is he thinks this is a good idea. I hope you're not judged so harshly when it is your turn.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM

35,518 posts, read 20,876,462 times
Quote:
Rather then spending so much more on all these welfare benefits why just throw parents in jail who can't provide for their children?

The parents who can't provide and have alienated their social networks because of wreckless behavior should in silver-colored handcuffs and not getting gold-plated welfare benefits.

So many low-IQ people who can't care for themselves, let alone a small army of children are having baby after baby because they get a luxury lifestyle, thanks to middle-class hard workers paychecks.

The perfect solution to parents who don't feed their children and have a healthy, nice home for their children in my opinion is silver handcuffs for the parents.

The perfect solution to heroin crisis and children being born on heroin and to throw heroin women behind bars and throw away the key. They will have 5 to 6 kids if they aren't imprisoned after 1st heroin baby they have.

So many poor, unfit parents have 5 or 6 kids because they aren't imprisoned after having 1 kid.

Please do go to a vet on foods stamps and tell it to his face OK please - Where do you people come from?? During the dust bowl years every farmer was on welfare-- if it were not so-- many some of you would not be here today spouting stupid stuff

Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM

46,878 posts, read 25,845,533 times
Quote:
So many low-IQ people who can't care for themselves, let alone a small army of children are having baby after baby because they get a luxury lifestyle, thanks to middle-class hard workers paychecks.
Quote:
TThere are many people crowding a bunch of kids in little homes, which makes them emotional and physically sick. They should have felony charges!
So - they get a luxury lifestyle and live in crowded conditions - at the same time?

Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,383,653 times
People on welfare are living in luxury? News to me.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM

778 posts, read 337,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It appears you think that if we make poverty an even worse experience, people will finally stop being poor. That's not how it works.
Really? I think Ben Franklin disagrees, and I think he is right.

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Quote:
Any thoughts?
Surely you jest.

If one is unfortunate enough to be born to low income parents, they should be removed from their homes and forced to work as child slave laborers on farms? Alright, I'll bite.

At what age does this begin? What becomes of them until then? Where are they housed? Do they attend school? Who cares for the tens of millions?

Incarcerated parents get to visit their offspring and get a discount on veggies? Where do they get the funding to buy the discounted veggies?

Only a small portion of the US is conducive to a year round farming season. In my neck of the woods, it would be limited to 3-4 months. What about the rest of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies