Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No, I have not read all your posts of days gone by and that you may have personally defended Obama about such nonsense does not change what I am trying to explain to you; the difference between what is slander and what is not.

Cutting to the chase, are you trying to suggest that what Trump said, caught on tape with Access Hollywood, was doctored or altered?

This sort of inability to rationally discern what is fact vs fiction is truly an amazing thing to witness, apparently quite prevalent among Trump supporters and evidenced in spades here with such a notion.

Obviously there is no point in discussing these sorts of issues if anything so damning in these regards can be so easily dismissed as simply partisan gamesmanship. Comes a point when we've got to do better than that! Much better!

Or anything goes, as it seems Trump supporters are willing to allow when it comes to anything Trump says or does.
Quote:
I'm all for more rather than less civility, who isn't? Seems everyone talks that talk, but when it comes to addressing our differences, that's another matter...

Problem that Trump faces, very different from Bush or Obama or just about all presidents past is that Trump is insulting, so he invites if not incites another level of vitriol that seems to be part of his M.O.

You don't understand this, because you think that everything "caught on tape" that is Trump is some sort of doctored version of what Trump actually said. I don't blame you for the inclination, because just about everyone can hardly believe what Trump actually says or how he says it, but one need only listen to the man over enough time, and it becomes much easier to believe the damning evidence of Trump's lack of civility.

Expect respect and dignity in return and you might as well believe that people can be insulted, ridiculed and belittled without striking back. Any time spent in this forum, and we should know better than that!
Quote:
Please stop...

I have plenty more clue about why you voted for Trump than you can imagine, and if I need to consider that reason yet again, I'm likely to break something! I don't need to hear it from you directly. I already know all the great reasons people decided to support Trump, justifications as far as they are concerned anyway. The typical list of reasons you can pretty well count with the fingers on one hand.

Get past that most basic not this or that "worst of evils" reasoning, branding Hillary in the same way you blanket-excuse Trump, and we really have no further reason to exchange opinion about this, not that we ever did. If you insist, however, add the fact that Ted Cruz was your first choice, and we simply go from bad to worse.

Let's face it. Regardless the particular differences between us when it comes to how we evaluate the right or wrong of these choices, ultimately people line up behind the candidate that fits within the fabric of their ideology, and the actual facts of the matter have little relevance in comparison. I could no sooner lean toward supporting Cruz given all he represents than I can lean toward the GOP in general.

In fact, it isn't Trump who won the GOP nomination. It was the disarray and vacuum of leadership in the GOP that allowed Trump to short-circuit his way on stage front-and-center.
at this point it is useless to debate with you because you are so closed minded you dont want to listen to anything anyone wants to say, unless it follows along with your beliefs. and that is typical with modern progressives. perhaps one day when you open your mind and actually listen to what others are saying, even if they dont agree with you, then there would be an avenue of communication open to you, but for now, it ends here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Every time smart people make a thread shedding light on Trump's stupidity, the typical reply is of the sort: "The election is over. " That isn't a counter argument.

Grow up.

Here is the problem.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at this point it is useless to debate with you because you are so closed minded you dont want to listen to anything anyone wants to say, unless it follows along with your beliefs. and that is typical with modern progressives. perhaps one day when you open your mind and actually listen to what others are saying, even if they dont agree with you, then there would be an avenue of communication open to you, but for now, it ends here.
Useless, yes, as I've tried to point out, but not because I am "closed minded" or "don't want to listen."

What evidence of those accusations do you have to justify such claims?

I've addressed your comments. I've pointed out that you can't accept even what facts have been proven or captured on tape! You might as well argue that all that evidence similarly collected about Nixon that damned him over Watergate were mere distortions of the facts, "slander!"

If I play the same tit-for-tat game as you seem to be playing, I would in the very same way paint all conservatives with the same broad swipe, that just like you, when caught in the flaws of your own way of thinking, your own logic, you simply make the same counter argument without any substantiation whatsoever!

And back to your beliefs you go. Right or wrong, yours to embrace regardless, and no one can tell you differently! Tell me I'm wrong...

Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Every time smart people make a thread shedding light on Trump's stupidity, the typical reply is of the sort: "The election is over. " That isn't a counter argument.

Grow up.
Or at least tell Trump. Because he is still talking and acting like a bull-in-a-China-shop candidate. Just talks without thinking all the time.

Self-absorbed ninny.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Or at least tell Trump. Because he is still talking and acting like a bull-in-a-China-shop candidate. Just talks without thinking all the time.

Self-absorbed ninny.
As much as I hate to defend Trump...

I've been admiring his ability to speak his mind, apparently with not much reflection, and still get to where he is. POTUS!

The reason I'm having second (and third) thoughts about this phenomena is because ultimately we all believe pretty strongly in free speech in this country, and I for one want to hear what there is to be said without filters, even when the message is the last thing I want to hear.

If what Trump says proves him to be a "self-absorbed ninny" for example, then so be it, and the consequences should be that his tenure as leader will be short-lived. If, however, enough Americans seem to support what Trump says and how he feels, regardless how he says it, then what are we forced to conclude, accept?

The answer either way can't be that we should not hear what Trump has on his mind, no matter how insulting, offensive or radical it may be. After all, one man's messiah is another man's devil. Right?

Who proves to be better or worse for America takes time to determine, very unfortunately in all too many cases, but such is our imperfect reliance on democracy at work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies