Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:41 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well, here is a topic I am in agreement with Trump on. The anti-competitive price fixing and gouging going on in the pharm industry needs to stop. At some point someone has to look at the (n * 1000%) mark ups relative to the price of production and say enough is enough.

They get away with it because:
A) We let them
B) They have artificially locked out competitive bidding through lobbying over the past decades
C) They have a captive market for the drugs
D) Demand is driven by the will to survive (there can be no stronger demand)

When you look at a drug people need to survive and see numbers like 15,000% mark up vs cost of production, I don't know how anyone could say it is not a predatory practice. The costs are acting as a giant millstone around the neck of the entire US medical and medical insurance industries.
I would agree that additional competition would be beneficial, however the average cost to bring a drug to market now exceeds 2.5 billion dollars! As far as mark up on the product, how do you suggest the companies recoup their investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Not true!! Customs or CBP/ICE now gets involved - they pull cocaine out of watermelons and pills from coffee cans - too much antibiotics in Chinese honey and what not - could be Oxycontin instead of aspirin!! they have to regulate the shipments

Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I would agree that additional competition would be beneficial, however the average cost to bring a drug to market now exceeds 2.5 billion dollars! As far as mark up on the product, how do you suggest the companies recoup their investment?
A number created by a "research group" created by the drug companies and half that was what the investment money *might* have made while the drug was being developed. A totally made up number.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Not true!! Customs or CBP/ICE now gets involved - they pull cocaine out of watermelons and pills from coffee cans - too much antibiotics in Chinese honey and what not - could be Oxycontin instead of aspirin!! they have to regulate the shipments
Regulate them but allow them. The Canadian drug industry is not run by Walter White.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Regulate them but allow them. The Canadian drug industry is not run by Walter White.

no their entry - they have to make sure what in the box is what is in the label just like every other import-
why you think those are found out- all full of drugs inside the bananas

Border agents uncovered more than 4,000 pounds of marijuana hidden among limes. In two incidents in early July, border agents found well over 200 pounds of meth hidden in shipments of jalapeños and cucumbers. police in Chicago were tipped off to the arrival of a tomato shipment with 54 kilos of cocaine in it — drugs with a street value of almost $7 million. Farther south, in mid-July Mexican marines intercepted a multiton shipment of cocaine hidden in containers of salsa

Smugglers are hiding drugs in food shipments - Business Insider

UPS Coughs Up $40 Million Because It Delivered Drugs From Rogue Pharmacieshttps://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130329/14460922514/ups-coughs-up-40-million-because-it-delivered-drugs-rogue-pharmacies.shtml

Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
In a statement to the media after the vote, Booker’s office said he supports the importation of prescription drugs but that “any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn’t meet this test.”

as i said I do not knwo what the rules are for transfer to USA- but what are we getting ? can the terrorists manufacture death pills and ship under aspirin? and sooo happy about CVS Epi pens- grandson bad with the peanuts they can continue to lower and go generic YEAY CVS
It's been my experience that the drug companies get approval for their new drug first from the FDA. Once they receive that approval, they take their data and clinical trial results and apply for approval from Health Canada. That process may take a further year or two. Health Canada may or may not eventually give approval. A famous example was when thalidomide was rejected, thankfully, in the early 1960s. As a result, no thalidomide babies were born in Canada.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
no their entry - they have to make sure what in the box is what is in the label just like every other import-
why you think those are found out- all full of drugs inside the bananas
Drugs are ordered online here all the time. There is no difference. Our insurance company practically forces us to order them by mail. If someone wanted to send illegal drugs it makes no difference if it originates in Toronto or Albuquerque.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Drugs are ordered online here all the time. There is no difference. Our insurance company practically forces us to order them by mail. If someone wanted to send illegal drugs it makes no difference if it originates in Toronto or Albuquerque.
Yea but not from overseas. Read my posts. And I don't like capsules. The acid blockers- So I open them- and put on a spoon. 1/2 are mostly empty. Good right!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Yea but not from overseas. Read my posts. And I don't like capsules. The acid blockers- So I open them- and put on a spoon. 1/2 are mostly empty. Good right!!
Canada isn't overseas. I shouldn't have to point that out.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course we want this! Let the drug companies compete and force them to lower prices. They are getting away with murder. Enough of the big money corruption.
Drug Company's dealing with US Markets also deal in Canada..Difference is Canada does have ceiling for what Pharma can charge.. So..why is it that Pharma gouges US Markets?? Because Politicians got bought and paid for!!

But, To cite the OP's title without attaching the actual bill in FULL is rather disingenuous!! Willing to bet embedded within "BILL" had many damaging add on's ( better known as "Kill Bill" attachments") that Booker and other Dem's denied the rest of the bill versus denying "CHEAPER MEDICATION"!!

Sorry..Just nothing link suggesting Booker and Lib's are against lowering prices of medications!! It has become far too transparent on how some love to phrase or suggest in order to demonize!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies