Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Obama's numbers started to climb when the people realized he is finally going away. What has he done recently to improve his own poll numbers?

Let's look at his last year. Hmmm. He spent a ridiculous amount of our time and money campaigning for Hillary and she lost.

He handed 400B dollars over to a criminal enemy of the United States which is helping them to rebuild their military and probably get a nuclear weapon as ransom for American hostages. The first time a President ever negotiated with terrorists and paid them off in American History.

So someone tell me what Obama has done to deserve good numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Obamas numbers have been fairly steady throughout his career . High 40's to mid 50's . But there hasn't been a spike to 80-90% based on emotional feelings of patriotism like there were after the Gulf War and 911. Being a solid administrator is not as sexy or emotionally appealing as kicking Saddams azz. But as we see, those patriotic emotional feelings dont last , even though they skew the average ratings.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Obama's average is WAY ahead of Trump's.

Let's compare current figures, shall we?

New poll has Trump approval rating at 37%, Obama at 55%

Carry on.

Yup as I said in #39 .

Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand the need for these continual Obama bashing threads. Let's say it's true: Obama's approval rate will be somewhat low when he leaves. So what? What difference does it make? He's leaving office and won't be president anymore.

It makes me wonder if Trump voters are worried about the incoming president-elect and already setting themselves up to play that convenient blame game before he's even inaugurated. "Trump can't do X because Obama made that impossible 5 years ago when he did Y."
Agree on the bashing of Obama, but Obama's exit poll is hardly low. It is running nearly 60% approve even on Rasmussen's tracker. When you consider the political polarity that has seized this country, it is probably impossible to get any higher than that unless a war breaks out. By the same token, if Trump ever gets near 60, that would be remarkable.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 AM

The idea proffered here more than once that the reason Obamas rating are higher is because people are glad to see him go is one of the dumber ideas I have ever heard . You would have to be a mental midget to truly believe that the mass of Americans are suddenly going to start giving high approval ratings to a POTUS they hate simply because he is leaving office soon. This shows the unreasoning hatred some groups have for Obama, that it clouds their ability to think logically and causes then to make such idiotic claims .

As I said, Obamas numbers have really been steady throughout his terms . If anything has driven his numbers up as of late, it has been the comparison of our outgoing POTUS to the two choices we had to replace him , both of whom made Obama look more presidential and likeable .

Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The idea proffered here more than once that the reason Obamas rating are higher is because people are glad to see him go is one of the dumber ideas I have ever heard . You would have to be a mental midget to truly believe that the mass of Americans are suddenly going to start giving high approval ratings to a POTUS they hate simply because he is leaving office soon. .
Don't forget who you're dealing with.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The idea proffered here more than once that the reason Obamas rating are higher is because people are glad to see him go is one of the dumber ideas I have ever heard . You would have to be a mental midget to truly believe that the mass of Americans are suddenly going to start giving high approval ratings to a POTUS they hate simply because he is leaving office soon. This shows the unreasoning hatred some groups have for Obama, that it clouds their ability to think logically and causes then to make such idiotic claims .

As I said, Obamas numbers have really been steady throughout his terms . If anything has driven his numbers up as of late, it has been the comparison of our outgoing POTUS to the two choices we had to replace him , both of whom made Obama look more presidential and likeable .
Still waiting for his accomplishments that are improving his polling numbers all of a sudden.

Everything he has attempted recently has failed miserably.

And your idea about his numbers being up in comparison to our incoming President? Just as idiotic as your view of mine.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
History will be far kinder to Obama than it will be to Trump, no matter what Trump accomplishes. He'd need to achieve global peace for his place in history not to be criticized.

Our society is progressing in a different direction than this most recent election would seem to indicate. This is the last hurrah of nonprogressive America.

It's the same in the UK with Brexit. Most of the younger people I know didn't want it. It was passed mostly by older people who want to try to wall themselves off from others who are not like them. That sort of mindset is dying off with the remainder of the Silent Generation and with the Boomers.

Millennials tend, as a group, to be more progressive. Gen X has trended progressive, though not as progressive as the Millennials. The generation after Millennials will be even more so. I see it in my younger kids, who are either the tail end of the Millennials, or awaiting a name for their generation.

It will happen and those people will be writing the history of this time in the USA.

Trump's candidacy and presidency will be a blot in those history books without some YUGE (to use Trump language) positives being added to all the negative.

I just don't see that happening, given his current attitude.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Still waiting for his accomplishments that are improving his polling numbers all of a sudden.

Everything he has attempted recently has failed miserably.

And your idea about his numbers being up in comparison to our incoming President? Just as idiotic as your view of mine.

Obamas numbers are not rising drastically . They have been on a slow steady rise. Contrary to right wing hatred of Obamacare, some people have benefited from it , even some Trump supporters have the honesty to admit that. And as I said, a years comparison between Obama and the two choices we were given this past year to replace him can't help but make people like Obama a little more .

And I have never mentioned Trumps numbers, so you need to learn to read a little better .

Last edited by wallflash; 01-13-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
You are the one cherry picking, who cares if it was the end of his term, the 50s are nothing to write home about anyway, it basically says half of the country (aka democrats) approve.
Only Reagan and Clinton were higher at the end of their terms, both in the 60's. Neither had to deal with an economy failing at historic levels, two wars and terrorism and a totally divided congress. That's pretty good considering, pull out any stat you want he is leaving as a fairly popular president.

Last edited by Goodnight; 01-13-2017 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies