Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There are at least five billion people in the world who would be better off living here.

What number of people immigrating here would be too high for you?

If you actually give me a number, you'll be the first on your side of this issue to have done so.

Abe-bodied people of working age should support themselves. What's wrong with that?

And if they can't get jobs to support themselves, maybe it's because illegals are here to take those jobs and get less pay than employers are obligated to pay legal U.S. citizens -- has that ever occurred to you?

Actually, our ancestors did assimilate. Italian, German and Polish immigrants assimilated. Yes, they honor their own ancestry, but they consider themselves Americans now.
Where would those five billion come from? Answer that and I'll give you a number.

Able bodied people should work but that is a very simplistic statement to make in these times. Many jobs simply aren't there any more for people due to companies moving to other countries and automation.

I'm not a simpleton. I know this is a complex issue. I think its false to say illegals are taking jobs from Americans. Two points here: Why wouldn't a company like Cargill hire an American? What do they care who works on their factory floors as long as the work is done? Secondly, why are you blaming illegals for the companies that hire them?

I don't know about your experience but here in NEPA you can see lots of examples of non-assimilation. We have a ton of different churches that were built so immigrants could have services in their own languages. We have dozens, if not hundreds, of different ethnic festivals throughout the year - many started by our ancestors. Our city used to be divided up by Italian, German, Irish, etc. neighborhoods. Many of my friends' grandparents still spoke in their native tongue, while my friends had to translate for them at the schools. They definitely considered themselves American but they certainly didn't give up their culture, religion, foods, language etc. either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Having empathy is miles apart from going native. You've gone native with respect to illegals.
Going native?

No. I just refuse to believe that I'm somehow better than someone else based on lines on a map or circumstance of birth. My children are no more deserving of a safe and happy home than those in other parts of the world.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I doubt any of us would ever enter a country illegally so your liberal nonsense is just that -- nonsense.

If they claim to be so persecuted in their own little hellhole part of the world -- then come here the right way through proper channels.
I might.

If it meant protecting my children or giving them a chance at a good life and we lived in a terrible place. Yeah, I might chance it.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My side/your side...

I'm tired of it all.

My only point in all of this is to treat others the way we'd want to be treated. Why is it so difficult to put yourself into someone else's shoes and imagine how life would be for them?
I notice you didn't answer my question, "How many is too many?"

No one on your side has -- or, I believe, ever will.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Where would those five billion come from? Answer that and I'll give you a number.
Again, you're not answering the question.

The question is, How many immigrants to this country -- legal or illegal -- is too many?

Give me a number.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:01 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:

Able bodied people should work but that is a very simplistic statement to make in these times. Many jobs simply aren't there any more for people due to companies moving to other countries and automation.

I'm not a simpleton. I know this is a complex issue. I think its false to say illegals are taking jobs from Americans. Two points here: Why wouldn't a company like Cargill hire an American? What do they care who works on their factory floors as long as the work is done? Secondly, why are you blaming illegals for the companies that hire them?

I don't know about your experience but here in NEPA you can see lots of examples of non-assimilation. We have a ton of different churches that were built so immigrants could have services in their own languages. We have dozens, if not hundreds, of different ethnic festivals throughout the year - many started by our ancestors. Our city used to be divided up by Italian, German, Irish, etc. neighborhoods. Many of my friends' grandparents still spoke in their native tongue, while my friends had to translate for them at the schools. They definitely considered themselves American but they certainly didn't give up their culture, religion, foods, language etc. either.
I am also from NEPA, like you. Three years ago we needed a new roof on our house. It cost over $14K. We wanted our money to help the local economy so I asked the contractors that gave us a bid if they used local laborers. All answered: Yes. So we chose one that was right around the corner. After giving the contractor half the money to pay for the shingles; his crew shows up with nine laborers - only one spoke broken English and the rest did not speak English. They were good workers and quickly ripped off and replaced the old shingles. They did not take a lunch or break. I am sure some of my money went South of the border to help bring more in; but I really don't know?

Would you prefer your employer to demand you don't take a break or lunch? That could be the net effect of more groups of illegals taking more of our jobs. I presume that they were not paid the same as true local laborers. Would you prefer your boss to pay you a lot less than they currently pay and treat you as a 'replaceable'?

This 'humanitarian' aid for poor illegals is more about humanitarian aid for the rich elites. By the way; the 'boss' of the roofing crew I later found out drove a Jaguar!

Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I notice you didn't answer my question, "How many is too many?"

No one on your side has -- or, I believe, ever will.
I'm sorry you missed this:

Quote:

Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Again, you're not answering the question.

The question is, How many immigrants to this country -- legal or illegal -- is too many?

Give me a number.
I will when you answer me about the number you threw out there.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
If there aren't enough jobs for Americans, then why would we add immigrants to the unemployment line?

Quote:
I'm not a simpleton. I know this is a complex issue. I think its false to say illegals are taking jobs from Americans. Two points here: Why wouldn't a company like Cargill hire an American? What do they care who works on their factory floors as long as the work is done?
You can't figure that one out?

Employers hire illegals because they can pay them less and put the savings in their own pocket.

If the illegals object, the employers can threaten to call the immigration authorities.

Quote:
Secondly, why are you blaming illegals for the companies that hire them?
I'm blaming both.

Quote:
Were those people taught in their native languages when they went to public school fifty years ago or one hundred years ago? No, they were not.

Even the Amish -- who live apart from the "English" but came here legally -- speak fluent English.

The immigrant groups who came before 1965 have assimilated. They came here legally.

Illegal immigrants come here illegally and they and their supporters wave Mexican flags when they protest.

They have the attitude of invaders (they even call it "reconquista"), not people who want to assimilate, obey our laws, and speak the language spoken by most Americans -- English.

They want us to change our laws to suit them.

That is not what immigrants in the nineteenth century expected.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am also from NEPA, like you. Three years ago we needed a new roof on our house. It cost over $14K. We wanted our money to help the local economy so I asked the contractors that gave us a bid if they used local laborers. All answered: Yes. So we chose one that was right around the corner. After giving the contractor half the money to pay for the shingles; his crew shows up with nine laborers - only one spoke broken English and the rest did not speak English. They were good workers and quickly ripped off and replaced the old shingles. They did not take a lunch or break. I am sure some of my money went South of the border to help bring more in; but I really don't know?

Would you prefer your employer to demand you don't take a break or lunch? That could be the net effect of more groups of illegals taking more of our jobs. I presume that they were not paid the same as true local laborers. Would you prefer your boss to pay you a lot less than they currently pay and treat you as a 'replaceable'?

This 'humanitarian' aid for poor illegals is more about humanitarian aid for the rich elites. By the way; the 'boss' of the roofing crew I later found out drove a Jaguar!
I'm not trying to be a smart ass because I really like you but I've gotta ask --- if you care so much about illegal immigration, why didn't you ask this contractor for his workers' papers? Bosses and companies already treat people as you describe but most Americans won't put up with it which is why they hire illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies