Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,876,782 times

Advertisements

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/nd_bismarck_msa.htm

It is so odd, how North Dakota is in the midst of such a massive, massive oil collapse and yet the unemployment rate in Bismarck which is the epicenter of state government and where much the oil companies regional were located still only has 2 percent unemployment.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/nd_bismarck_msa.htm

Fargo unemployment slid to 1.9%.

I find it so odd how a state can such massive job losses and yet unemployment hardly increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:09 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,697,372 times
Maybe they have some great formula to decide what it is like the cost of living adjustment.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:19 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,448,608 times
Seriously interesting information. But it's just a slice of info. Digging further into the BLS site shows that there's a definite cycle to North Dakota's unemployment rate, and that for some reason the month of November always seems to have the lowest unemployment, but it usually spikes higher around January/February, probably because of the winter weather.

I'd also venture that North Dakota's oil boom resulted in severe housing shortages, so if you aren't working in the oil fields, you're probably getting out of the state, living where the rent's much lower, and waiting for the call-back when the jobs reappear.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,704,434 times
Many (most?) of the oil workers who have been laid off were actually citizens of other states - they simply went home.

Many, many families where I live have men who work the oil fields and come home once every couple weeks to see their families. Some of them have lost their jobs, increasing our unemployment rate.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Many (most?) of the oil workers who have been laid off were actually citizens of other states - they simply went home.

Many, many families where I live have men who work the oil fields and come home once every couple weeks to see their families. Some of them have lost their jobs, increasing our unemployment rate.
Bingo. Cookie for you.

It's that simple. The overwhelming majority of oil workers are out of staters that go home when there's no work. Add to that the fact that the state is already sparsely populated.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times
There's not that many people living in the upper midwest so the places left that do employ need people. There is a labor shortage here in eastern South Dakota. Admittedly I work at the highest paying manufacturing place in town and they plan to hire 100 more full time positions this year, and are hiring part time for the first time in forever in order to just get people. The issue is twofold... new capacity from new places that have building, are built, or are expanding, and people that have worked at places, the boomers, which are still retiring.. basically more than half the 3M plant population has been replaced due to retiring within a 10 year timespan. Finding young people that want to keep living here for what today's "normal" manufacturing wages now are, has become more difficult. If I'm going to slave away at 12 bucks an hour, I wouldn't be doing it here in the plains... I need more money for that, fortunately I got it.. but I still am thinking about relocating to another 3M plant to escape the cold.

I would argue that many of these "jobs" are not worth what they pay to live out here where I live though.. only 2 of them pay what I would deem high enough to make it worth living in such a cold, flat, climate.. unless you've lived in Alaska, Minnesota, Northern WI, North Dakota, or Maine, you can't really appreciate how cold it gets and stays out here. Plus on top of that there's a housing shortage still, enough to keep prices high unless you wanna drive 15-30 miles then you could probably do well out here. No state income tax. Give eastern South Dakota a try if you like to go ice fishing (you can leave permanent shacks up for 2-3 months every winter because the lakes are usually frozen by December and stay frozen through February) or think you'd like low population density type of living situation. Yes, we do have plenty of lakes around here within a 35 mile drive. Sioux Falls is the biggest larger city accessible by interstates which I must say are in excellent shape, and everyone goes 80-90 MPH.

If you want to find out the specific town I live, well Bel Brands just finished a cheese plant here, and it's the other place in town that pays a higher wage. There are a lot of choices for places to work around here but a couple stick out.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-13-2017 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 PM

17,658 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bingo. Cookie for you.

It's that simple. The overwhelming majority of oil workers are out of staters that go home when there's no work. Add to that the fact that the state is already sparsely populated.
Agreed.. Would you stay there through a winter if you knew basically you had no hope of getting a job and were from out of state? Leave, come back during better times.

But.. The one part of your theory that doesn't seem to hold up quite as well, and there may be an explanation.. What about all the ancillary positions? You've got buttloads of people who came in from out of state to work oil.. They've gone.. So, now, Bob's Burgers doesn't need to employ 20 people to cover the business, so.. They cut back to only having 10 employees. Those 10 they laid off WERE state residents, who are now unemployed.

It's not like everyone left. So, something still doesn't quite add up here for me.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
North Dakota's laws allow the credit card industry to add surcharges that are prohibited in other states.

Bismarck began attracting all the big card companies years ago as the center for paying cardholder accounts. If the collection department of MasterCard has a Bismarck address, MasterCard is allowed to charge higher interest rates and add other charges onto their monthly bill legally.

So Bismarck thrives and grows independently of their oil fields. It's the Silicon Valley of the credit card biz.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM

29,618 posts, read 16,605,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Agreed.. Would you stay there through a winter if you knew basically you had no hope of getting a job and were from out of state? Leave, come back during better times.

But.. The one part of your theory that doesn't seem to hold up quite as well, and there may be an explanation.. What about all the ancillary positions? You've got buttloads of people who came in from out of state to work oil.. They've gone.. So, now, Bob's Burgers doesn't need to employ 20 people to cover the business, so.. They cut back to only having 10 employees. Those 10 they laid off WERE state residents, who are now unemployed.

It's not like everyone left. So, something still doesn't quite add up here for me.
Not really, what most likely happens is that part timers get full time hours. After the rush, they drop back down.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 AM

51,669 posts, read 25,904,681 times
Or they leave as well.

State-funded support services are minimal in North Dakota. If you've got some money and the prospect of only part-time hours or not at all, leaving for a warmer, more hospital place is the option of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies