Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Now wait just a bloody second. You know how something can become a pre-existing condition? You lose your job and the associated employer-provided health care plan. Boom.
Been there, done that.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:55 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
It must be a shock for some people to know that people die everyday that wouldn't die if they were rich.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy01 View Post
Why should I be forced to pay a higher rate simply because I have a chronic illness? I didn't ask for it, I did nothing to deserve it, Rheumatoid Disease does not care if you are rich or poor.
If I can't get at least Medicaid I will die a very painful death when the RD slowly starts attacking my muscles, organs, all the ligaments,and soft tissues,and if you don't believe me, google Death by Rheumatoid Arthritis. It happens.
So others should be forced to pay more for you. Makes sense with an it's only fair what about the children authoritarian mindset.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Thank you! Single payer system is the way to go. If you need a supplement then you can pay for it. This is what Obama wanted in the first place but republicans rejected it
No he didn't. Why do you (and others) continue to do this? He expressly said he was not going to go there. Go ahead, show us where he tried to get this.

He said he didn't think single payer was "feasible". His word. There is a low quality video floating around from years ago where he supposedly says he would support single payer BUT that was speaking the words the crowd he was addressing wanted to hear. Typical political talk.

He cared far too much about the money from the insurance and pharmaceutical companies to every cross them.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
To be accurate the "scam" is not an insurance scam but a provider rip-off. The insurance company just negotiated a better deal for you which you should be glad of. The rip off is that the provider can discriminate and charge more to people with no insurance. WTF? The ones being scammed here are the ones without insurance, which isn't right.
It isn't. It's one big scam. Granted a legal one. The provider can write off this "loss" that is "negotiated" with the insurance company. To note though, you can also negotiate with the provider. There is nothing (at this point) stopping you from doing that. Many years ago I negotiated a $10,000 hospital bill down to $1000 (plus a $100 for a lawyer to write an agreement).

Not long ago my daughter had a procedure that the clinic told us the insurance may not cover. They didn't. I paid less than the billed amount. Now granted, you have to be in the fortunate position to have the money in hand for them to be willing to take the bird in the hand but don't just accept the bill at face value.

Quote:
IMO, healthcare providers need to pick a price they are going to charge and once chosen, that is the price everyone pays, insured or not. And they must publish their prices so we the consumer can know what it will cost us. Eliminate insurance negotiated rates and let free-market choice be used for consumers to pick the provider they want to go to based on published price. That will lower costs.
I support single payer but yeah, that would do the same thing.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Why is it always that people can't remember facts from just 10 years ago... It was bush and the R's that created the no negotiation rules.

Uncle Sam barred from bargaining Medicare drug prices, Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin says, blaming rival Tommy Thompson | PolitiFact Wisconsin
Bush was a complete failure just as Obama was. This remained the case under Obamacare as Obama was afraid to cross the insurance industries and risk losing their donations.

I expected it out of Bush, I didn't out of Obama (at least not at first)

Old 01-14-2017, 05:36 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Thank you! Single payer system is the way to go. If you need a supplement then you can pay for it. This is what Obama wanted in the first place but republicans rejected it
No. This view lost the election for you.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Some states had already done a decent job of addressing pre-existing conditions prior to Obamacare. They did a couple of things:
  • Used 'Objective Standard' instead of 'Prudent Person Standard' definition of pre-existing condition
  • Prohibited 'Elimination clauses'
  • Limited lookback time period to 12 months or less
  • Set maximum exclusionary periods of 12 months or less
  • Elimination of any pre-existing clause if there had been existing coverage with no more than a 60 day gap in a 3-5 year time frame
  • No rate increases for claims

These are reasonable standards and perhaps nationalizing these parameters would address the bulk of the problem. The problem with forbidding any pre-existing condition clauses is that there will be people who will not purchase insurance until they need it. Yes, I know that is what the individual mandate was supposed to prevent but Americans always bristle at any kind of individual mandate, culturally we desire choices and self determination.

Page 4 of this has a decent chart of state pre-Obamacare pre-existing clause laws.

In my opinion, if they had just not included the birth control and abortion portions of Obamacare and truly grandfathered in existing policies there would have been far less objections, it would have been a done deal, and we wouldn't be discussing this now.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
No. This view lost the election for you.
Curious. How so?

Old 01-14-2017, 05:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Curious. How so?
Your response had me scroll up to re-read the title of the thread.

Universal Socialized Medicine, where all of a sudden anyone is entitled to be on Medicare, was unfair to everyone, and was never the intent of lawmakers.
It was disruptive and jammed the always quoted 20-million people that now have healthcare into a program that was intended solely for citizens 65 and older.

Obama kicked me off my employer's health care, then took my tax money and shifted it to mostly indigent that of course wanted the government aid.

Now as far as the title of the thread; those with pre-existing health issues should and will pay a slightly higher premium.
It only makes sense like any other type of insurance.
My lot in Louisiana has a pre-existing elevation above sea level. I pay extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies