Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
...tell us what you LIKE about the Affordable Care Act.
1) Affordability. My plan is just under $800 a month. It went up from $340 last year, but still, under $800 is a bargain. Also the deductible shot up to an affordable $7500 or so. Lunch money.

2) No pesky choices of insurers. We get just ONE. Just pick from one out of one terrible companies. It makes choosing simple!

If it gets any better I won't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You do know that health insurance costs were spiraling out of affordability leading up to ACA.

"Family health insurance premiums more than doubled between 1999 and 2009, far outpacing the growth in workers’ earnings and overall inflation."

Chart shows staggering rise in health insurance costs

So you have health insurance costs spiraling out of control, people losing their health insurance left and right, insurance companies declining to insure pre-existing conditions, dropping policies when claims were made, caps...
You didn't answer my question. If as you say the costs were going up anyhow, how is it better to have a tax penalty as well as being not able to afford it? How is it better for people like me? How is is sustainable if you have more and more of the middle class opting out? For every person that doesn't pay all or part of their own, someone else has to pick up the tab for it. It implodes if the only people participating are those having it purchased all or in part for them. Creating Obummer care didn't cause premiums not to increase for those of us actually paying them, so how is it a good thing?

You do know that if you are benefiting from the current system others are paying for it, right? Or they are opting out and not paying. Where is it suppose to come from?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to believe people are so damn dimwitted.
Yeah. That just shows my point of perks being stupid and voting against their own interests.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah. That just shows my point of perks being stupid and voting against their own interests.
The purpose of voting is not to protect your own selfish interests, rather the purpose is to do what's best for everyone in this federal republic.

People like you are the reason the US is in a mess in the first place.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 PM

The rising prices are a problem, especially when only one provider is in an area. The only way to fix that is too honestly go single-payer.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The purpose of voting is not to protect your own selfish interests, rather the purpose is to do what's best for everyone in this federal republic.

Please, please, please, communicate this sentiment to Donald Trump and his administration.

Tell him to put all selfish interests aside and look out for all of us. OK?....Please?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Looks like the polls have switched around, now more people support the ACA than are opposed. I think they are finally seeing all the problems with repeal.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

No. And I did vote for America. As Mohawkx mentioned, Trump has always been Trump over anyone so I couldn't vote Trump because I fear he will destroy the middle class.

As for voting for your self-interest vs. the nation's interests, how do you define either?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Looks like the polls have switched around, now more people support the ACA than are opposed. I think they are finally seeing all the problems with repeal.
The ironic thing is that people DO support ACA and the good in the law. Many people do want those provisions to maintain with whatever replaces the ACA. That said, far too many do not like Obamacare despite the ACA being the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJfGv6HUus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-4DnqksZWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2M8MnoA2Q

Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The rising prices are a problem, especially when only one provider is in an area. The only way to fix that is too honestly go single-payer.
That's the only way I can see it working.

What we had before wasn't working.

Now folks are saying ACA isn't working.

The only remaining choice is single-payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies