Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times

Advertisements

I don't know if America is ready to nominate an unmarried person yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
1. He's Black
2. Young
3. Became the first senator to testify against another's nomination to a cabinet post (also known as his 2020 "coming out" party for the nomination)
4. Very cozy with Obama

If there is one thing I have learned from House of Cards (I get it, its a TV show, but a pretty damn accurate one at that), establishment backed nominees are selected years in advance. And based on the fact that the Dems re-elected Pelosi as House Minority Leader because "Democrats aren’t looking for a new direction," I could see the democrats continuing down the same path of identity politics (race in this case).

What do you think?

In my opinion, it could be genius or backfire. Part of why Trump won was because he wasn't an establishment backed candidate and he didn't play identity politics, where gender or race was considered a qualification. So I could see this backfiring, especially if Trump accomplishes what see says he will.

BUT, part of what killed Hillary was the fact that African Americans were not enthusiastic about her. That is part of why she lost PA and MI (black voters in Philly and Detroit didn't turn out in the same masses as they did for Obama).

Sure, why not?

Dems figure that nominating a women so they can use accusations of sexism as a blanket defence for everything didn't work out the way they'd hoped.....so they might as well go back a page in the identity politics playbook and nominate another black guy so they can fend off any and all criticism with false accusations of racism.

I mean, go with what you know right?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
He's being groomed to be the next Obama. But with all this division Trump caused, I think Michelle Obama or a democrat will be in office by the summer. Trump isn't really the president.

How's the weather on your planet?

Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cory Booker is smart enough not to run for POTUS.

First he doesn't want anyone digging into his business.

Next, why would he want to be POTUS when he is a new senator from NJ with pretty much a safe seat for life? Presidents get four or eight years, then they are out. What then? Write books? Start a foundation?
By the time 2020 comes around, Booker will have been Senator for exactly as long as Obama was when he became president.

If you can do four or eight hard years and then walk away with the kind of money they make once they're out of office, you'd be a fool to remain in the Senate.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Why don't the democrats actually try democracy and encourage multiple people to run in the primary and let the voters decide?

Republican primary this year was like survivor.

The Republican Primary was a crap show and the number of candidates is a large part of how Trump won. He was simply lucky that the DNC put forth the worst candidate in modern history.

I agree that more than two candidates are needed, but the way the RNC did it this year was ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
First openly gay POTUS. Barack 2.0. He's a complete phony and owned like his prototype.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, that would be a big mistake. He's already off on the wrong foot doing a reversal on Jeff Sessions, after previously praising him on his civil rights record. But, Democrats are all about "diversity," and they can't help themselves. They must find a "black" or another woman. Nothing else matters to them. Qualifications? Who cares about qualifications ...unless it's the Republican candidate.
He didnt praise him on his civil rights record, he praised him for helping Booker with a piece of legislation recognizing civil rights activist.

and LOL at qualifications, you Guys attacked Barack Obama for years and then nominated Donald Trump. The statement about qualifications is 100% true, just not in the way you meant it.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Donald Trump is far more qualified than Barack Obama was. Get real. What had Obama ever done? Nothing!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Donald Trump is far more qualified than Barack Obama was. Get real. What had Obama ever done? Nothing!
It's actually worse than nothing, Obama will be remembered as what NOT to do when you are President...

Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
1. He's Black
2. Young
3. Became the first senator to testify against another's nomination to a cabinet post (also known as his 2020 "coming out" party for the nomination)
4. Very cozy with Obama

If there is one thing I have learned from House of Cards (I get it, its a TV show, but a pretty damn accurate one at that), establishment backed nominees are selected years in advance. And based on the fact that the Dems re-elected Pelosi as House Minority Leader because "Democrats aren’t looking for a new direction," I could see the democrats continuing down the same path of identity politics (race in this case).

What do you think?

In my opinion, it could be genius or backfire. Part of why Trump won was because he wasn't an establishment backed candidate and he didn't play identity politics, where gender or race was considered a qualification. So I could see this backfiring, especially if Trump accomplishes what see says he will.

BUT, part of what killed Hillary was the fact that African Americans were not enthusiastic about her. That is part of why she lost PA and MI (black voters in Philly and Detroit didn't turn out in the same masses as they did for Obama).
what stopped Hillary was the excellent smear campaign run over decades to block her from every getting power. Both the left and the Right knew she was always the brains behind Bill, and the right knew she would be extremely productive no matter what they did. SO rather than try to build better plans, they began a campaign to blemish her and they executed it the course of decades.

The biggest pity is that the fools who swung Trippy trump into power are the exact same people she spent her life helping.... Truth is generally speaking Americans are too ignorant for their own good. They vote against their own interests decade after decade because they don't take the time to understand any issues other than emotions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies