Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Fifty years ago I was a highly skilled machinist and machine builder. I had the opportunity for go to college and work at white collar jobs for the rest of my career. It was a good choice as I stopped having to put up with supercilious fools thinking they were smarter them me just because they already had an education. What they had was greater opportunity. Besides the sit down jobs also made more money.

What the OP's Upper Crustacean disparages is her perception that people that do not think or live like her are not as good as her. I believe she is completely wrong. Frequently living a poor difficult life requires much more character and skill than having the easy opportunities.

There it is in a nutshell. Its all perception and not walking in another persons shoes. Middle America is not some hayseed illiterate with a straw hat and no shoes. I too had choices. I could have gone to college on the GI bill. Wound up working for 37 years on the railroad. I liked working outside,not having to "punch" a clock. The job was just challenging enough to hold my interest but not something I had to take home with me. The pay was average. The retirement exceptional. Pride in my work? very few people could have endured the physical demands of my job. Its also kept me healthy and in shape without having to work out in some gym...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That's nice. But you still live in a place that has savage wealth inequality
Yes we have lots of very wealthy peolple. Should we kick them out in order to lower income inequality statistics?

Furthermore, SJ is in much better shape than the nation as a whole as far as prosperity.

Families With Income $0-$49,999
United States 35.8%
San Jose Metro 20.0%

Families With Income $150,000+
San Jose Metro 38.6%
United States 14.6%

Quote:
and race and ethnicity play a big part in which side of that divide you land on.
Oh really? NAME A PLACE IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE THIS ISNT THE CASE?

Quote:
You people are nowhere near as wonderful as you think you are.
Right, but short of Heaven, Im at a loss to find somewhere better.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 01-15-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
It is the liberal left that are the purveyors of hate--even including death threats. Andrea Bocelli has revealed that the reason for the cancellation of his Trump inaugural performance is because of death threats he received.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes we have lots of very wealthy peolple. Should we kick them out in order to lower income inequality statistics?

Furthermore, SJ is in much better shape than the nation as a whole as far as proserity.

United States 35.8%
San Jose Metro 20.0%

Family With Income $150,000+
San Jose Metro 38.6%
United States 14.6%

Oh really? NAME A PLACE IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE THIS ISNT THE CASE?

Right, but short of Heaven, Im at a loss to find somewhere better.
Rampant wealth inequality isn't a good thing. In fact, it's a hallmark of third world countries. A large middle class is one of the best features of first world countries. But where you live is no place for the middle class, especially for people who have school-aged children.

And saying "black and hispanic people are poor everywhere in the country!" isn't a very good answer for people who want to crow about how much less "racist!" they are than people in other parts of the country. If you want to prove how much better you are than everyone else you should, well, be better.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

Furthermore, SJ is in much better shape than the nation as a whole as far as proserity.

United States 35.8%
San Jose Metro 20.0%

Family With Income $150,000+
San Jose Metro 38.6%
United States 14.6%
Unless you adjust that for cost of living, that's a poor metric of "prosperity". I'd also throw in quality of life factors like hours worked including commuting time.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Fifty years ago I was a highly skilled machinist and machine builder. I had the opportunity for go to college and work at white collar jobs for the rest of my career. It was a good choice as I stopped having to put up with supercilious fools thinking they were smarter them me just because they already had an education. What they had was greater opportunity. Besides the sit down jobs also made more money.

What the OP's Upper Crustacean disparages is her perception that people that do not think or live like her are not as good as her. I believe she is completely wrong. Frequently living a poor difficult life requires much more character and skill than having the easy opportunities.
Greg, thanks for spelling it out for people.

We have a lot of snobs posting here defending this lady's awful attack.

I'd love to hear what a guy like Warren Buffet thinks about the ladies elitist drivel.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
How many black people has this woman ever hired? One, if that? How many black people live in her neighborhood? One, if that?
Please read this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/35043017-post151.html

Old 01-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unless you adjust that for cost of living, that's a poor metric of "prosperity". I'd also throw in quality of life factors like hours worked including commuting time.
Yes but not even in extremely expensive Silicon Valley arent you going to earn $150,000+ a year unless you have a good job-sorry.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 01-15-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Okay. That doesn't explain how this....thing has room to accuse the rest of us of being "raceist!" It's just another liberal hypocrite.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Okay. That doesn't explain how this....thing has room to accuse the rest of us of being "raceist!" It's just another liberal hypocrite.
I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies