Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Let us not go there. Utter nonsense. Of course they are big dogs. Smarter, bigger but not people. And their smarts and interest could have made them happy. This view that their are forever unhappy unless roaming the veld is as absurd as we all needing to go to the caves and beating our mates for happiness.
Had they not been abused; people might have felt differently. Elephants are not big dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is so sad. Too bad today's kids will miss out on the joys of the circus because liberal PETA types wouldn't rest until everyone is as miserable as they are.

Ringling Bros. circus to close after 146 years | Daily Mail Online
Obviously you failed to read the article. Sales have been declining for years according to the owner. I know my kid went ONCE when he was 4 and never returned; along with most of his friends.

The elephants were just the final nail in the coffin of a dead and dying form of entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Animal rights activists are a tiny but loudmouthed minority. I don't think it was animal abuse simply because elephants were performing. If you want bad see what the wild elephants are facing (poaching for their tusks). The biggest mistake the circus made was catering to the wishes of people who weren't even their customer base. I hope other businesses take note and refuse to cater to ARA's.
Obviously you have never seen video of how the elephants are trained. Do you think they use treats - like a dog? Think again.

The circus has no one to blame but themselves. No one. THAT and . . sales have been declining for years; did you fail to read the article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:55 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Not to worry, the circus clowns and sideshow freaks can always find a job in Washington DC politics.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
What people view as entertainment changes. 100 years ago there were far less zoos, no television, and in most places no running water or electricity. The circus coming to town was a big deal. The circus brought things people had never seen before, or even heard of. Now it's all old news. Watching acrobats and clowns is rather mundane compared to what Hollywood puts into a single movie.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Animal rights activists are a tiny but loudmouthed minority. I don't think it was animal abuse simply because elephants were performing. If you want bad see what the wild elephants are facing (poaching for their tusks). The biggest mistake the circus made was catering to the wishes of people who weren't even their customer base. I hope other businesses take note and refuse to cater to ARA's.
I wouldn't compare poaching to a circus but both are wrong, abusing animals for our entertainment has been an issue for some time. Sea World finally came to their senses and stopped their Killer Whale shows. It's not a vocal minority, it's a rather large majority.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
If you want to see wild animals just go to a zoo. The modern zoo really have upped their game over the years when it comes to quality of life for the animals. They also work on saving species that would have gone extinct in the wild due to hunting and climate change.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Not to worry, the circus clowns and sideshow freaks can always find a job in Washington DC politics.
After Trump drains the swamp of course.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Has anyone who is decrying the loss of the elephants actually gone to see a circus with them in the past 20 years? I have and really didn't find it entertaining. I think you might be hanging on for nostalgia to something whose time has passed for good reason.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Has anyone who is decrying the loss of the elephants actually gone to see a circus with them in the past 20 years? I have and really didn't find it entertaining. I think you might be hanging on for nostalgia to something whose time has passed for good reason.
Good point.
Some people want to believe the fall of the circus was due to the animals. IT was due to tastes in entertainment changed. The circus became old news. Clowns aren't considered all that funny anymore. Tight rope walkers don't impress the way they did even 50 years ago.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I took my daughter a couple years ago and they had elephants dancing to Gangnam Style. It was really sad.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I took my daughter a couple years ago and they had elephants dancing to Gangnam Style. It was really sad.
20 years ago I took my kids to the circus. They were as bored as I was. LOL
I took them to a national park hiking and and camping for a week and they loved it. My kids were lucky. I didn't use the TV as a baby sitter. Nature still excites them to this day. My son and I went on a trip to S.E Asia last summer to tour the ancient Buddhist temples. Great trip for us and money well spent. My son is 28 and still likes hanging out with his dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies