Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 04:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

A new Des Moines Register poll suggests many Iowans would like to see Senator Chuck Grassley, who is up for election in 2022, to not run for re-election and bow out.

"55% of Iowans want Grassley to end his political career next year as compared to just 28% who said they would like to see him run for another term.

Most remarkable -- and concerning for Grassley -- is that more than 1 in 3 self-identified Republicans (35%) say they think the time has come for him to retire."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/polit...ire-iowa-poll/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 05:35 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Well, he is 87. I think if even my most favorite politician was 87, I'd think it was time for him/her to retire.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well, he is 87. I think if even my most favorite politician was 87, I'd think it was time for him/her to retire.
Yeah, you could say the same about Feinstein in California, my senator.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 540,727 times
It would benefit America if all of these senators retired, they stopped doing the people's work a long time ago.

California Dianne Feinstein Democratic 87
Iowa Chuck Grassley Republican 87
Alabama Richard Shelby Republican 86
Oklahoma Jim Inhofe Republican 86
Vermont Patrick Leahy Democratic 80
Vermont Bernie Sanders Independent 79
Kentucky Mitch McConnell Republican 78
Idaho Jim Risch Republican 77
Maryland Ben Cardin Democratic 77
Maine Angus King Independent 76
Illinois Dick Durbin Democratic 76

Last edited by vegasrollingstone; 03-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
It would benefit America if all of these senators retired, they stopped doing the people's work a long time ago.

California Dianne Feinstein Democratic 87
Iowa Chuck Grassley Republican 87
Alabama Richard Shelby Republican 86
Oklahoma Jim Inhofe Republican 86
Vermont Patrick Leahy Democratic 80
Vermont Bernie Sanders Independent 79
Kentucky Mitch McConnell Republican 78
Idaho Jim Risch Republican 77
Maryland Ben Cardin Democratic 77
Maine Angus King Independent 76
Illinois Dick Durbin Democratic 76
Shelby has already announced he will retire at the end of his term next year.

Apparently Feinstein's husband is seeking an ambassador appointment, so maybe that could pave the way for her exit.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
My state used to have two really long serving US Senators- Strom Thurmond and Fritz Hollings. Strom was there for 48 years and basically retired at 100. Fritz was there a mere 40 and retired at 83. When interviewed about his retirement he said he did not want to wear out like Strom- who had spent the last couple of years being checked in/out of Walter Reid every night, having to step aside from committee chairmanships despite being the most senior senator in history at that point, and literally having Orin Hatch walking him into committee rooms to announce he would vote for Thurmond by proxy. It was sad/humorous for two reasons- people had insisted on carrying on some myth that Thurmond was a super-aging exception to all rules (which might have been true until his late 80s) and because Fritz had a well-earned reputation for saying whatever the heck he felt like saying. The rest of the Senate and state pols had done a ridiculous tap dance around just how useless Strom had become.

I think all the 80 year olds would be well-served to look at just how rapidly Feinstein has declined in the last two years. Leahy had an overnight hospital stay two months ago and Bernie had a heart attack in late 2019.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:10 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
This is a bipartisan issue on which most people agree. I think there may be a few 80 yr olds who are almost as mentally sharp as ever but for the majority that isn't the case. Factor in what these politicians have actually done in terms of sponsoring bills. If they are like Beijing Buydin and Pickled Pelosi, they should have been booted out years ago. They will never live long enough to spend the millions they've grifted.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
That would be great. But I hope they don't replace him with someone who's further to the right over in conspiracy theorist/QAnon territory because that seems to be the trend with Republicans these days.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:56 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Long ago (over a decade ago) Chuck Grassley was a reasonable, middle-of-the-road Republican with a folksy rural charm, and the duo of Grassley and Tom Harkin made for a pretty unexciting but stable R vs D dynamic that solidified Iowa as a purple state that could swing either direction politically. Ever since Tom Harkin retired in 2015, Grassley seems to have lost his way and gone full-blown Trumplican. I think the long-time friendship with Harkin kept Grassley tethered toward the middle, but Joni Ernst and especially Trump have been a corrosive influence on his decision-making over the last several years. He twisted himself into a pretzel trying to explain why he voted against Merrick Garland yet voted for Amy Coney Barrett despite the circumstances being nearly the same. He lost his principles and became a rubberstamp for far right policies.

Good riddance if he decides not to run again. I just hope we don't get somebody even worse running in his place.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:15 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Well they could just not vote for him next year.

A number of senators on both sides of the aisle should retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies