Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Increase your skill and you won't need to worry about equality. Equality is for losers.
Meritocracy is a myth.

It helps to have skills, it doesn't mean you actually get in the door though. Or through to the final hurdle.

I'll just leave this article here, about the industry known for having a meritocracy:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...erse-workforce

Quote:
Recruiting teams gathered in a room for several hours a week to concentrate just on sourcing a diverse set of candidates, said one recruiter. They expanded their searches to include engineering schools in Africa and assigned candidates Facebook employee “buddies” of similar demographics for their on-site interviews to make them feel welcome.

But after about six months, their enthusiasm turned to frustration. The recruiters saw that many of their diversity candidates didn’t end up getting an offer. Two former recruiters blamed in part the engineering department’s candidate review process, a twice- or thrice-weekly meeting at which every engineering offer had to be approved.
To sum it up for you, the "diverse" candidate made it to the offer phase aka the hiring manager and the team liked the candidate and wanted to work with them, they passed all the tests. But the hiring committee was like nah, we don't want them. Guess the skills weren't enough.

Having the skills doesn't mean you'll have an advocate that gets your foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 01:01 PM

305 posts, read 178,370 times
Quote:
Google Marilyn Reece.
This grasping at straws only solidifies the points others are making.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,626,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
This grasping at straws only solidifies the points others are making.
Feminism has nothing to do with opportunities for women.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 PM

305 posts, read 178,370 times
Quote:
Feminism has nothing to do with opportunities for women.
Congratulations on being male.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM

35,939 posts, read 30,482,961 times
[quote=jade408;46870192]
Quote:
I had an interesting chat with my neighbor the other day, she is in her 60s. We talked quite a lot about the election. She is a progressive white woman (just for context) and she was really proud of Hillary Clinton. Because, as she mentioned it was just so hard, and there were so many blockers to get to the upper echelon of politics for women.
I'm not a fan of HC but I agree with your neighbor and am proud of all the women who have faced the challenges in the political arena and other male controlled arenas. It has and still is harder for women who are judged much harder than are their male counterparts, IMO.

Quote:
Between all the things you have listed above, casual sexism in our society and everything else. It is really easy for women my age to take it for granted that while we still have blockers, the are more like social norms and not coded into laws. We still have a long way to go, but we have made quite of bit of progress that could easily be unturned.
I agree it is the social norms as laws and policy have already been put in place. Men as well as women still face double standards, stereotyping and discrimination in various aspects of their lives but I believe in the future we as a society will greatly diminish gender bias.

Quote:
Not long ago my friend, an experienced software engineer, found out she was significantly underpaid compared to her male peers. So much so that first year male engineering interns were paid the same amount as she was and she had 10 years of experience and had excelled working on core projects. She was 50% under market value for her level. Luckily her boss advocated for her and she got a raise to make up for it and a significant bonus. But 10 years of being underpaid has much larger impacts than just your paychecks.
While I have not seen direct wage gaps in my 25 years in the field of environmental science I have seen women excluded from field work that leads to experience, leadership roles, promotions and wage increases. I know most men who were in charge during those years were not intentionally trying to discriminate against women it was just the social norm and attitude that women couldn't or shouldn't do "men's jobs" for their own protection, like pull a trailer, drive a manual, operate a boat, dive, snorkel, carry heavy equipment, walk or climb. Much has changed.
I told my grandson who plays basketball that when I was in HS the girls played half court because the powers that be (men) felt like the delicate flowers would physically damage themselves running the full length of the court. He looked at me like I was crazy then asked "whats half court", then looked at me crazy again.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM

14,820 posts, read 11,958,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
PP provides those services regardless if an abortion is performed or not. I had a few pregnancy tests done at PP back in the day. As for selling fetal tissue, where is the problem there? It's legal, correct?

There is a federal law that prohibits the selling or buying of aborted fetal tissue for profit. If I read the law correctly it prohibits the transfer of fetal tissue from spontaneous abortions across state lines for any purpose, and any sale entirely of fetal tissue from induced aborions.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/289g-2

Regarding the use of fetal tissue for therapeutic or research purposes, states' laws vary:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/...arch-laws.aspx

Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM

14,820 posts, read 11,958,740 times
[quote=2mares;46871502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'm not a fan of HC but I agree with your neighbor and am proud of all the women who have faced the challenges in the political arena and other male controlled arenas. It has and still is harder for women who are judged much harder than are their male counterparts, IMO.

I agree it is the social norms as laws and policy have already been put in place. Men as well as women still face double standards, stereotyping and discrimination in various aspects of their lives but I believe in the future we as a society will greatly diminish gender bias.

While I have not seen direct wage gaps in my 25 years in the field of environmental science I have seen women excluded from field work that leads to experience, leadership roles, promotions and wage increases. I know most men who were in charge during those years were not intentionally trying to discriminate against women it was just the social norm and attitude that women couldn't or shouldn't do "men's jobs" for their own protection, like pull a trailer, drive a manual, operate a boat, dive, snorkel, carry heavy equipment, walk or climb. Much has changed.
I told my grandson who plays basketball that when I was in HS the girls played half court because the powers that be (men) felt like the delicate flowers would physically damage themselves running the full length of the court. He looked at me like I was crazy then asked "whats half court", then looked at me crazy again.

I never heard of a half-court either, but then I never played basketball.

I'm so old that women's competitive sports in my heyday were limited to competitive knitting, cookie baking, and for the more energetic of us, chasing kids around. JK.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not so much right now, but maybe 10 years ago, I saw lots of interesting commentary about women's basketball. The new theme was that women played a more pure game and dunking ruined the game. This was used as an excuse for women not to dunk and also complain about how the game changed (for the worse) with integration.

I 100% disagree but it was one of those ways were social norms could justify prejudicial thinking.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 PM

35,939 posts, read 30,482,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not so much right now, but maybe 10 years ago, I saw lots of interesting commentary about women's basketball. The new theme was that women played a more pure game and dunking ruined the game. This was used as an excuse for women not to dunk and also complain about how the game changed (for the worse) with integration.

I 100% disagree but it was one of those ways were social norms could justify prejudicial thinking.
If they could see girls now. Granted I kind of hate watching girls bb, but was at a local game last night and those varsity HS girls could beat the pants off our 8th grade varsity boys, and they're good.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If they could see girls now. Granted I kind of hate watching girls bb, but was at a local game last night and those varsity HS girls could beat the pants off our 8th grade varsity boys, and they're good.
My favorite basketball story ever is about Cheryl Miller. I wish there was equal opportunity for her to play when she was in her prime.

So for some context, Cheryl Miller is one of the greatest female players ever, she played in the WNBA for a bit but she was a little older when they opened. She is a commentator these days. Her brother is Reggie Miller, a former NBA player who was also inducted into the hall of fame. He was one of the best shooters in history.

When they were high schoolers, Reggie came home after the game of his life. He score like 40 points points and his team won in a blowout! Awesome right?

Well Cheryl came home that night and had the game of her life. Her team won by 160 points and she scored 105 of them! The final score was 179-15. Ouch.

Comedians had a field day saying Reggie was good but still couldn't beat his sister. No clue who won those one on one games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies