Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You don't say how old you are, so I assume you are 20 or 30 something. If you knew what being female was like before the 1970s or so, you would not say you are against feminism.
Some examples of the way it was are:

Families sent their sons to college, but not their daughters, because they were just going to get married and didn't need an education.

Women's jobs were secretaries, teachers and nurses, and they didn't work after they snagged a man.

Your body was not your own. Birth control was not easily available, and your male doctor wouldn't prescribe it unless you were married and had your husband's permission.

Credit was not issued to women.

I love traditional values in which a man supports the family, and the wife stays home and takes care of her own children, instead of paying others to do it. I like housekeeping and cooking. But I choose these things, and I thank God that if I wanted to have a career, or start a business I am free to do so.

The early feminists were right. Change doesn't come from polite suggestions. Any movement is like a pendulum. It goes wildly from one side to the other, until it settles peacefully somewhere in the middle.
In certain economic circles, daughters went to college for what was then called a Mrs degree. They were expected to minimally get pinned, if not married, before graduation. It was viewed as an investment in the daughter's future economic security.

You nailed it. It's about the right to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's absolutely astonishing to me. Somehow pregnant mothers were able to keep up with all the housekeeping and childrearing tasks associated with large families prior to birth control, yet your mother couldn't handle a set of stairs? How insulting.

They were steep

Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Feminist are miserable people.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
To the OP. Live your life the way you see fit. You don't need to explain your beliefs or justify them to anyone.
The problem with society today is that you have extremists that insist upon forcing people to choose a side and to identify with them. Anyone who opts to walk their own path is labeled. Ignore the labels and ignore the nay sayers.
If you are comfortable with yourself, why change?

Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
To the OP. Live your life the way you see fit. You don't need to explain your beliefs or justify them to anyone.
The problem with society today is that you have extremists that insist upon forcing people to choose a side and to identify with them. Anyone who opts to walk their own path is labeled. Ignore the labels and ignore the nay sayers.
If you are comfortable with yourself, why change?
I have no problem with this. But the OP should understand that the privileges she enjoys now did not just happen. They are the result of years of advocacy from many women who came before her. Read some of the stories in this thread by women who lived through those times. The OP dissed feminists without realizing what her life would be like today without those who came before her and cleared her path.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't seem to know what feminism is while rallying against it. Willful ignorance doesn't tend to make for good parenting.

Do you believe your daughter can choose to do anything she works hard to achieve, be it an engineer, doctor, teacher, President of the United States, or a stay-at-home mom? Congratulations, you're a feminist.
Exactly!!!!

OP if you think feminism means hating men, well that is jus put really sad.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly!!!!

OP if you think feminism means hating men, well that is jus put really sad.
She probably heard it from Rush Limbaugh.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I have no problem with this. But the OP should understand that the privileges she enjoys now did not just happen. They are the result of years of advocacy from many women who came before her. Read some of the stories in this thread by women who lived through those times. The OP dissed feminists without realizing what her life would be like today without those who came before her and cleared her path.
It could be that the OP has been dissed by so-called feminists and that is why she has a negative opinion of the feminist movement.
I respect a strong woman, a person who is willing to demand equal treatment and pay for equal work and results. I'll never have issues with a person of integrity. On the other hand you do have those who demand special considerations and drop the woman card at the drop of a hat. They in my opinion give true feminists a bad name.
For example where I work a promotion typically takes 3 to 4 weeks to go through. That's the time it takes to be written and to be approved through the levels of leadership. I had a woman who self identifies as a feminist, who after 10 days sent emails out to leadership, demanding to know why her promotion was taking so long. She added a p.s. Is it because I am a woman? Not her first time to drop the card. I submit that it may be this kind of feminist that offends the OP.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Feminist are miserable people.
There you have it folks. Another well-thought out and succinctly phrased argument.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It could be that the OP has been dissed by so-called feminists and that is why she has a negative opinion of the feminist movement.
I respect a strong woman, a person who is willing to demand equal treatment and pay for equal work and results. I'll never have issues with a person of integrity. On the other hand you do have those who demand special considerations and drop the woman card at the drop of a hat. They in my opinion give true feminists a bad name.
For example where I work a promotion typically takes 3 to 4 weeks to go through. That's the time it takes to be written and to be approved through the levels of leadership. I had a woman who self identifies as a feminist, who after 10 days sent emails out to leadership, demanding to know why her promotion was taking so long. She added a p.s. Is it because I am a woman? Not her first time to drop the card. I submit that it may be this kind of feminist that offends the OP.
But as an adult one should know the actions of one or a few individuals doesn't translate to the entire group and we have more than adequate resources to research these things.
Being in the bible belt and having involvement with churches I have come across some women who are the exact opposite of feminist. They don't work, never worked, believe and preach that women should stay home and take care of the kids, husband and house. They don't even believe women should wear pants. I have been dissed by these women for working, getting divorced, the way I dress and various other things but I know that these are opinions of a few individuals and not all SAHMs or Christians hate working mothers, or divorcees. I also see the value in the things these SAHMs and religious women have done to help families and the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies