Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:55 AM

983 posts, read 737,637 times

Advertisements

So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Tend to your family, raise your child as you wish, ignore ignorance.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
You don't seem to know what feminism is while rallying against it. Willful ignorance doesn't tend to make for good parenting.

Do you believe your daughter can choose to do anything she works hard to achieve, be it an engineer, doctor, teacher, President of the United States, or a stay-at-home mom? Congratulations, you're a feminist.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:12 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
If that's what you think feminism means, then you have been misled.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't seem to know what feminism is while rallying against it. Willful ignorance doesn't tend to make for good parenting.

Do you believe your daughter can choose to do anything she works hard to achieve, be it an engineer, doctor, teacher, President of the United States, or a stay-at-home mom? Congratulations, you're a feminist.
This. Things like that pesky 19th amendment. Just don't become complacent, women fought hard for you (the OP) to feel this comfortable.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:33 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Tend to your family, raise your child as you wish, ignore ignorance.

Right.

When what we then referred to as "women's liberation" took off in the early 1970s, I was instructed by my 5th grade teacher to refer to the librarian only as Ms. (whatever her name was) because she was a "liberated" woman.

At age 10, I had no earthly idea what she believed she was liberated from.

Now, some forty years later, I understand that what she had liberated herself from was the consequences of her own choices.

Men initially scoffed at the idea of women doing "men's" jobs such as construction, mining, equipment maintenance and the like, but no one stood in their way.

Today, more than four decades after I had my first encounter with a liberated woman, women are 1.6% of auto mechanics, 1.4% of brick layers, 1.9% of electricians and 100% of all mothers.

The truth is men have never opposed women who wanted to do what a man does and earn what a "man's job" pays, if she is able and if she really wants to do it, but for the most part, women simply don't want to do the dirty, dangerous jobs that many men do, even if the pay and benefits are significantly better than less dangerous jobs done in more pleasant surroundings.

I would hope that one day we will all agree that feminism is simply the freedom to do what makes us happy without a lot of criticism from people who have yet to figure out what they want.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I think the word "feminist" means concretely can differ wildly from person to person.

Some feminists are bat**** crazy and hate men. (This is a vocal, but luckily small minority.) Other feminists just feel that people should not be discriminated against on the basis of their gender. I think most so called feminists probably belong to the latter category.

Either way, I feel how they choose to live their lives is none of my business.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:

I don't think either you or your friend know what feminism is. I am a woman in my 50s who has worked all her life (even through 2 children), and I don't even *think* about feminism or whether I am one or not. I also don't think men are evil monsters. I was only in one workplace where the culture was biased against women, so I got out of there. Whatever.

But as another posted stated, and I assume you are young-ish, you just don't remember a time when women were treated very differently. I grew up (and was cognizant) in the late 60s, and 70s, and while women were certainly gaining ground, it was VERY different than it is today. Very.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
You can teach your child she can do whatever she wants with her life without turning her into a whiny, man-hating walrus.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach..
I think some women can be pretty jaded due to their own experiences. Doesn't mean men hating is the very definition of feminism. Quite frankly, I don't even know what that word means. Like I posted earlier, it seems to be different from person to person. I was born in 1985, and never really thought of the word so much.

This somebody you talked about? She sounded like a very miserable person. You don't tell a pregnant woman she would be a bad mother. I would avoid her, you don't need this kind of negative people in your life, since you are pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies