Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. Things like that pesky 19th amendment. Just don't become complacent, women fought hard for you (the OP) to feel this comfortable.

Yes, but much of the opposition to the 19th Amendment was from women who feared losing the privileges afforded females.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nat...Woman-Suffrage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,849,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, but much of the opposition to the 19th Amendment was from women who feared losing the privileges afforded females.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nat...Woman-Suffrage
What privilege?

Feminism was also about the right of a woman to do what she wants to do with her body,including BC and abortion.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:39 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Men initially scoffed at the idea of women doing "men's" jobs such as construction, mining, equipment maintenance and the like, but no one stood in their way.

The truth is men have never opposed women who wanted to do what a man does and earn what a "man's job" pays, if she is able and if she really wants to do it, but for the most part, women simply don't want to do the dirty, dangerous jobs that many men do, even if the pay and benefits are significantly better than less dangerous jobs done in more pleasant surroundings.

You have been misinformed.

Men most certainly have opposed women who want to do "men's" jobs and most definitely stood in their way.

Despite laws prohibiting this discrimination, many still do.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
Quote:
Right.

When what we then referred to as "women's liberation" took off in the early 1970s, I was instructed by my 5th grade teacher to refer to the librarian only as Ms. (whatever her name was) because she was a "liberated" woman.

At age 10, I had no earthly idea what she believed she was liberated from.

Now, some forty years later, I understand that what she had liberated herself from was the consequences of her own choices.

Men initially scoffed at the idea of women doing "men's" jobs such as construction, mining, equipment maintenance and the like, but no one stood in their way.

Today, more than four decades after I had my first encounter with a liberated woman, women are 1.6% of auto mechanics, 1.4% of brick layers, 1.9% of electricians and 100% of all mothers.

The truth is men have never opposed women who wanted to do what a man does and earn what a "man's job" pays, if she is able and if she really wants to do it, but for the most part, women simply don't want to do the dirty, dangerous jobs that many men do, even if the pay and benefits are significantly better than less dangerous jobs done in more pleasant surroundings.

I would hope that one day we will all agree that feminism is simply the freedom to do what makes us happy without a lot of criticism from people who have yet to figure out what they want.
The trend toward Ms. is the result of excruciatingly proper etiquette that is mostly lost on people today, so I'll take this opportunity to explain...

Miss first name _ maiden surname
Mrs. husband's first name _ husband's surname
Ms. first name _ maiden surname OR first name _ husband's surname

As an example, I was born Miss Jane Smith. At marriage, I became Mrs. Thomas Johnson and, alternatively, Ms. Jane Johnson.

If you read old social columns from small town newspapers, you'll notice that women are referred to as Mrs. "husband's name" after marriage, which is extremely frustrating for genealogists/family historians. It's as if women as unique creatures with their own first names ceased to exist. They became Mrs. Thomas Johnson forevermore. It makes me crazy when I'm trying to trace maternal lines. The trend to Ms. is a good thing.

As an aside, I go by Ms. "Jane Smith Johnson" as my legal name. I do not use Mrs. Thomas Johnson, because I find it ridiculous that my unique identity should be subsumed by my husband's identity. I am not alone. Most of my female relatives and many of my friends have done the same thing. Only one chose to drop her maiden name completely, and she had good reason for doing so.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-16-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
How do you feel about an unmarried, well employed female being legally able to buy her own house? When the second wave started, that female needed a male to co sign her note at the bank.

Not only did Mrs. John Smith's identity vanish when she married, that MRS. also told the world she was off limits. And that a man was providing for her. Married women could not have credit in their own names.

If you think you have a right to vote, thank a feminist. Then go research what those women went through so you could vote. Some were beaten and jailed.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,231,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't seem to know what feminism is while rallying against it.
Do you believe your daughter can choose to do anything she works hard to achieve, be it an engineer, doctor, teacher, President of the United States, or a stay-at-home mom? Congratulations, you're a feminist.
Our grandmothers, mothers and my generation fought very hard to get where we are today but
somehow the term "feminist" became bad or "harmful."
When did

Feminism is still relevant today. Feminists want:
-A person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.
Current Numbers | CAWP
Why only 14% of top execs are women - Mar. 24, 2015
Study shows how most women directors are blocked in Hollywood | Fortune.com
-Pay inequality: women make 20% less than men
-sexual and reproductive rights for all women

Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
For most of history, in most cultures, women were perceived as inferior in need of legal guardianship. Women were viewed as a piece of merchandise which passed from one man ( father, brother, uncle or son) to another.

Patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary powers, leadership, moral authority, social privledge and control of property. It is often supported by organized religions as conceived , translated and interpreted by men.

Feminism is defined as a belief in social, political and economic equality of the sexes.

Some women hate and blame all men.

Some men hate and blame all women

Some have a tendency to conscript the definition of feminism to suit their own purposes.

Marriage and motherhood are choices no different than remaining single and/ or childless.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 AM

993 posts, read 767,847 times
You clearly don't know what feminism is. Do your daughter a favor and educate yourself and don't blindly buy into how others define feminism for you. Or anything else for that matter....feminism is the least of it. I suspect you are easily mislead in other areas as well.

For your daughter's sake learn to ask questions and research. Draw your own conclusions based on the evidence you've acquired. Teach your daughter to ask questions. This is the greatest gift you can give her and it will keep her safe.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,449 times
In 1972 my wife was a high school runner. There was no team for females. The next year they formed a team but no girl was allowed to run more than a mile for their own safety.

When Sandra Day O'Conner and Ruth Bader Ginsburg graduated from the top of their class at 2 of the best law schools in the country the only career path they were original offered were to start as legal secretaries.

OP feminism was one of the great movements to benefit the country.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,087,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
Thank the feminists who came before you for feeling like you have the right to voice this opinion as if it deserves the same respect and weight that a man's opinion would have. It does, of course, but 50 years ago you would have been patted on the head, told it's cute that you believe your opinion counted, and told to go back to the kitchen and be quiet while the menfolk did the thinking.

You are standing on the shoulders of all the women who dared to buck the patriarchal world that viewed women as property and brought you into the world you live in today. You did not attain that place yourself, it was earned for you by many, many courageous women as a gift for every woman who came after them. You should thank those courageous women and strive to make sure your daughter maintains those rights and freedoms they worked so hard to give you and her.

Last edited by JAMS14; 01-16-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies