Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 02:26 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Dude you shut up about my Ferrari!
Diet coke out the nose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:28 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Any semi-auto weapon, to my knowledge, can be converted into a fully auto weapon. That includes semi auto pistols. In other words, if one was determined to carry out a mass shooting they have far less a challenge converting a semi-auto weapon into a fully auto weapon than creating a home made bomb. There is some mechanism on a semi-auto that a person only has to file down to turn it into a fully auto firing weapon.
Heh and they ironically decrease the combat potential of the weapon because semi-auto is far, far, far more useful than full auto and superior in like 99% of the common situations it would be used in. Full auto is to make people put their heads down. Semi auto is for actually shooting at stuff. Suffice to say if you have a choice between only semi auto or only full auto you should ALWAYS go with the semi auto. Precision over spray and pray.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
There is some mechanism on a semi-auto that a person only has to file down to turn it into a fully auto firing weapon.
No.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:40 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Heh and they ironically decrease the combat potential of the weapon because semi-auto is far, far, far more useful than full auto and superior in like 99% of the common situations it would be used in. Full auto is to make people put their heads down. Semi auto is for actually shooting at stuff. Suffice to say if you have a choice between only semi auto or only full auto you should ALWAYS go with the semi auto. Precision over spray and pray.
Honestly, I think it depends on the context battle or mission undertaken. I would agree with you the semi or even bolt action allows for more precise firing.

But if we are a squad moving through thick woods, especially ambushed in a far enough distance in which we can fight moving backwards (in US Marine doctrine a "near ambush" is responded to by assaulting full speed into the line of ambushes, engaging in hand-to-hand combat if necessary) I want to fully auto SAW in my squad. The rounds will likely hit someone or some number of people as the SAW gunner lays down cover fire for the rest of us to fight backwards in escape. If not.... as you said it will likely at least keep the enemies heads down as they lay flat on their bellies.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
A little sensitive about the terminology? I am not sure why. The 2nd Amendment battle is a done deal so you can call it a mass-murderer-special and it won't change anything as far as your ability to own it. So what's the big deal whether it is called a military style rifle? Seems more descriptive than calling it a "sporting rifle" to me, which could be a .22 single-shot bolt action rifle for all I know.
Of course. I am sensitive to dishonesty.

Every firearm in one way or another has been used by the military. All guns are "military styled."

Does the style make the gun more evil or more dangerous?

I have no problem with people who just openly say all guns should be banned. At least we can have an honest discussion.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You do know it's legal for people to do that right now, right?

gun nutter, man card, etc etc. God forbid you do actually get a semi auto handgun. You'll shoot your eye out!

Yes, I am aware that certain people can get special permits to own fully auto in very rare instances .

And sorry, but common sense and questioning the mentality of those who feel the need to own such weapons has no bearing on ones ability to use them . Grow up already .

Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default New Purpose.

You guys are missing the point. Everyone needs one for the ZOMBIE Hordes that will sweep this country.

I don't care what title the Left uses. The manufacture term is AR-15.

I could go into the difference of a OEM Military spec weapon, but I will bore you guys.

Still remains AR-15.
Hogs
Target Range Weapon.
Bad guy eliminator
Large
Zombies

Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I am aware that certain people can get special permits to own fully auto in very rare instances .
No. No "special permit" or "rare instances".

It is a simple tax stamp for any of the nearly 200,000 machine guns in the US. The issue is that full auto firearms made after 1986 are restricted.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Yes, I am aware that certain people can get special permits to own fully auto in very rare instances .

And sorry, but common sense and questioning the mentality of those who feel the need to own such weapons has no bearing on ones ability to use them . Grow up already .
Incorrect again. Not a special permit and not certain people.

If no state law prohibiting machine gun ownership, any law abiding citizen can get a full auto machine gun as long as he or she pays a $200 tax.

However, because of the ban on any full auto made after 1986, a full auto machine gun can cost $5000 or up. So realistically only the rich and powerful can own machine guns.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:29 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
No. No "special permit" or "rare instances".

It is a simple tax stamp for any of the nearly 200,000 machine guns in the US. The issue is that full auto firearms made after 1986 are restricted.

Along with an application to the ATF , and registering the gun with the ATF , and awaiting the ATF to approve the purchase , along with the ATF checking with your local LE to make sure they aren't banned in your area. And ones after 1986 aren't just restricted in certain circumstances , they are banned , period .

In other words, you aren't walking into Walmart , paying a couple of thousand and showing them your DL, and then coming back in 3 days or so to pick up your brand new fully auto toy to go blow watermelons up this weekend , and the government WILL know you own the weapon if you do manage to buy one .

Last edited by wallflash; 01-17-2017 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies