Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 AM

379 posts, read 253,891 times

Advertisements

I ask this in all seriousness. Considering these days whites are constantly being demonized as the evil oppressors of all other peoples, why is white flight even an issue? And when it is discussed in an article, book, or the news, why is it discussed as if it's a problem? I mean, after all, if a people are oppressing you, why have them around? Why not say goodbye and jump for joy as they left and the shackles of injustice are finally broken? Considering race is just a matter of skin color, according to many people's belief, and all races are equal in ability, wouldn't it make sense to simply not deal with whites and have each group carve out their own existence?

I ask this particularly of black people. If we want to cut down or eradicate police mistreatment and brutality, why don't blacks encourage more and more of their own people to join the police force so that eventually, the majority or all of black towns' police forces are black, thereby eliminating any racial bias? Why not only encourage one another to avoid other businesses' as much as possible and only attend black shops, black doctors, black lawyers, black dentists, black recreational areas, and so on? Same can go for everyone else.

Simply put, if whites are so bad, why not just simply do without them while climbing the socioeconomic and political ladders to eventually provide the infrastructure so that they can no long lord of over others and eventually have little to no exposure to them?

Doesn't this make white flight a good thing for others?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
What are you talking about? Lol

It's 2017. White flight to where? Europe?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What are you talking about? �� ��
Thanks for the insightful response.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:51 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,125,508 times
Read American history and then reevaluate your questions.

Hope you're not beyond the first generation born in the U.S. because that would be terrible. In fact, your questions even make us 1st-gens look bad. Sheesh.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,958,457 times
There is no white flight any more. Whites are moving back into the cities in droves.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Read American history and then reevaluate your questions.

Hope you're not beyond the first generation born in the U.S. because that would be terrible. In fact, your questions even make us 1st-gens look bad. Sheesh.
Thanks for your informative and insightful contribution to the thread.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There is no white flight any more. Whites are moving back into the cities in droves.
Many of the secondary cities in states are experiencing it.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Many of the secondary cities in states are experiencing it.
Exactly, and there is now a thread about it in the NYC forum.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,739,852 times
I think that wherever white flight has occurred, the neighborhoods never stayed the same or improved. Those neighborhoods generally went downhill. Not an insult to the people who stayed, but simply fact.

For example, in the 50's and 60's, my sister lived in West Philadelphia, at 52nd and Warrington Avenue. I would visit as a kid, and the neighborhood was well kept and the neighbors all knew each other. I could walk to the corner store at midnight, and was safe. One by one, whites started to move to the suburbs or out of the area, and things changed dramatically.

I drove through there in about 2001, and it had become a slum. I kept my car doors locked and windows rolled up. Instead of kids standing in line to get into American Bandstand, there were groups of not so friendly looking people on every corner. The once nicely kept homes were run down.

I don't know if this is representative of every place this happened, but it sure happened there.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,757,852 times
The problem with our inner cities is more cultural and economic than racial. When civil rights legislation started breaking down segregation barriers, the black upper and middle classes headed to better neighborhoods and the suburbs too. It wasn't just whites seeking to distance themselves from the urban underclass. What was left behind was a subset of the black population whose self-defeating culture and poverty fed on itself to the point of no return.

Businesses cannot locate in such neighborhoods if nobody has the education or skills needed, if prospective employees barely speak recognizable English, or are functionally illiterate, or crime is such that employees or customers would not want to be there.

And before anyone says we need to spend more money on schools or some such, cities spend a small fortune already. Baltimore for example spends $16,000 per student per year. There are many private schools that you could go to for that much money. That young people are illiterate, unskilled, and can't speak standard English in Baltimore is not for lack of money. Their culture is keeping them down. My parents barely got by week to week raising a large family and were uneducated themselves, but you can bet they paid attention to what we were doing in school and woe to the kid who brought home a C on their report card or who got detention. I grew up always hearing I would go to college. Where to go, what to study, and how to pay for it was my problem. Theirs was saying you're going, so figure it out.

Cities have public transportation to get people to jobs anywhere in the city. Poor people where I live don't have that advantage. The rural countryside where I live has plenty of poor people but virtually no crime. Why the difference? I suspect a big part is the cultural expectation children grow up with as concerns their behavior. Being poor doesn't mean you misbehave. Why does the inner city culture raise kids to behave as they do?

So it isn't racial so much as it is cultural and economic segregation, including successful blacks separating themselves from the underclass too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies