Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Its about time to rid of these lazy butt federal workers that have no work cushy jobs.

Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers | Washington Examiner
Interesting. I just said almost this exact thing to my husband a couple of weeks ago - across the board 10% cut in all department budgets and staff reductions through attrition, retirements etc. It can be done. Easily. This from someone who has worked for two city governments. I've seen the "waste, fraud and abuse" and the laziness and ineffectiveness of more staff than you would imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Boom: Trump Eyes 10% Spending Cuts, 20% Slash Of Federal Workers
Read the title and thought that was big news, but then read the article and realized it is 10% and 20% in some departments . So it can mean absolutely anything from 1 to 800 000 workers.

Quote:
Insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent
In other words: FAKE NEWS.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Would love anyone who claims to be about cutting spending to actually address the issue of the military-industrial complex being used as a pork laden jobs program for Congressmen. Tons of efficiencies to be realized there but nobody has the cojones to tackle that. Maybe we can get it down to just spending as much as the next three largest militaries combined instead and use the rest of the $$ to cure cancer, care for vets, rebuild our infrastructure, subsidize trade schools and state universities?
As would I.

Doesn't matter what side of the aisle they sit on, every time there is any talk about cuts, it's always "anything but what's in my district."

Someone else noted how many unwanted projects are being foisted on the military simply so that Sen. or Rep. so-and-so can maintain that s/he saved/brought jobs to his/her district.

The voters are the same.
Rail against all of those "lazy" federal workers while at the same time fighting to keep bases open because they contribute so much to the local economy.

It's like the TEA folks insisting that government not touch their Medicare.

Serious disconnects here.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:40 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Disestablish the Department of Education and the 10% and 20% downsizing goals will be surpassed...

Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If a government department or company with a government contract has money left at the end of the year, they make sure they spend it (waste it) so the next contract is not cut back financially. I know this, and most certainly Trump knows this.
From a past government job, I know it.

"End of the year, we need to spend the rest of the budget."

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
He should probably cut more.

But this is a good start.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I'd support this since I live in state with great schools where it's hard to find a crummy district outside of an urban center. For the poor kid who wants to learn in Texas or LA and instead is taught creationism and anti-vax quackery, not so much.
Their biggest problem is usually the loud sucking noise of the money being vacuumed away for ESL illegal alien students.

I assume you live in a state that isn't overrun with non-English speaking children.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
He should probably cut more.

But this is a good start.

So Trump ran on the platform of Jobs, jobs, jobs. This is his way of fulfilling that promise. Cutting 550,000 jobs right out of the gate?
And you bohunks are rooting for that?

Well, if he really wants to make a difference he can abolish his own position and that of his staff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._civil_service

According to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), as of December 2011, there were approximately 2.79 million civil servants

So scooters, what's 20% of 2.8 million employees? What about their families? Add them in and your talking about almost 2 million individuals who have lost their means of survival.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's not the taxpayer's problem.
Sure it is. Lower wages means less tax revenue, which means higher taxes.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:05 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

So Trump ran on the platform of Jobs, jobs, jobs. This is his way of fulfilling that promise. Cutting 550,000 jobs right out of the gate?
And you bohunks are rooting for that?
How silly. He ran on creating private sector jobs and cutting federal bloat which prevents those jobs.

It's not any more complicated than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies