Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
History lesson:

In the 19th century, the Republican party was the "liberal" party; the Democrats were the "conservatives." At the turn of the twentieth century, they began to shift positions. By the 1960s, the switch was complete. For those who love to claim that Republicans freed the slaves, you should know that it was the "liberal" party that freed the slaves.
History lesson:
Liberal back then isn't the same as liberal now.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
History lesson:
Liberal back then isn't the same as liberal now.
Oh yes it was. Sorry.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Oh yes it was. Sorry.
Oh no it wasn't. Sorry.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
The Republicans that ended slavery are not the Republicans represented by John LePage.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Republicans that ended slavery are not the Republicans represented by John LePage.
Agreed. For him to even bring it up is insulting.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
June 1964 wasn't the Civil Rights era? That's the point, Deflect all you want, it's laughable. You hate whitey so much that you'd spit on the graves of two people who fought for justice? Despicable, even for you.

Many people give them credit. Because they are white means they don't count? Good to see your racism shine through again.

You wouldn't be able to stab me. I keep my distance from people who act like savages. Keep trying with the veiled threats like you're clever, it's funny and pathetic at the same time.

At the height of slavery ~5% of white people owned slaves. I'll help, that means 95 percent of the whites weren't slave owners. Not that the truth matters to those with a defective heart.
Schwerner and Goodman were casualties...there were hundreds of black casualties long before they made the trek South. Again, the Civil Rights era had been going on for a decade before they were killed. Emmit Till was killed nine years prior.

White's main contribution to civil rights legislation were their acts that made civil disobedience necessary. Beating black folks over the head, bombing churches, lynching...all white contributions to the struggle. And I'm making sure they get credit for that.

As to how many people owned slaves, that nonsense you posted is misleading. Hell, in a single southern household only ONE person usually owned all the slaves. So of course the number of actual owners was small. Just like that lame statistic that shows that few confederate soldiers owned slaves. Yeah...because War is a young man's game and few were of the age and financial status to own slaves...YET!

But their fathers, uncles, grandfathers, pastors, teachers, and many others owned slaves. The officers of a certain age almost ALL owned slaves.

In any case, John Lewis owes no modern day party any credit for ending slavery. If they weren't practicing slavery, they wouldn't have needed to end it.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:34 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Whites in America get all the blame for past slavery and institutional segregation but none of the thanks for ending it. Even though slavery existed in a thousand different places LONG before the US existed. Its still practiced elsewhere in the world today, primarily in Africa and India.
Aint nobody blaming me...
and if they did, i wouldn't pay 'em no mind. Its silly really.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Whites in America get all the blame for past slavery and institutional segregation but none of the thanks for ending it. Even though slavery existed in a thousand different places LONG before the US existed. Its still practiced elsewhere in the world today, primarily in Africa and India.
You don't deserve thanks for ending it. It wouldn't need to be ended if it hadn't started in the first place.

Again, same example I cited earlier. If I stab you, do you give me credit for removing the knife?

Alright then. Same thing. You don't get brownie points for doing what you needed to do or had to do.

Especially when you weren't supposed to be doing it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies