Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 PM

8,380 posts, read 7,597,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Do you live in California?
Yes, I do. Have for 30+ years. And, as I said above, no, I am not a democrat, nor am I a leftist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,963,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Is that it? Those are your only suggestions on how people can fix this situation?

I'm not a democrat, so I have that one covered. I know that "talking to my liberal friends" isn't likely to change anyone else's mind. And, gee, thanks for the video suggestion, but I don't think that watching YouTube is going to actually change anything.

So, what else can someone who wants to do more than complain do to fix the situation with ACA/medicare?

Do you have a petition you've started that people can sign? Maybe you have written a letter to your elected officials that you can share as a template for others to use in contacting their elected officials? Maybe you're involved with a political advocacy group that is working to make change in this area?

Or, is posting anyonmously on internet sites the only course of action you'd recommend to make this happen?
I post, I also donate lots of money to various causes but not everyone has the financial resources I have which is why I say "ground game" is the best way to go.

Petitions are worthless. Talking to corrupt elected officials is useless. Don't do those things unless you like wasting time.

Talking to your liberal friends is the best thing you can do. Don't be scared. Watch the videos, get educated, LEARN. The best weapon you have is your brain, but if you don't use it, you'll be stuck on City-Data asking others what you can do.

If you really HAVE to join a group (I realize some people cannot escape the trap of group think), then I suggest checking out Young Americans for Freedom and donating money or time to talk to those people. I've spoken at two YAF meetings in my local area. Of course, you can't really be invited to speak unless you're someone of noteworthiness (my business reputation in my area allowed me to have enough rep to be contacted by YAF personally). So donate money and attend their talks would be my suggestion for you personally.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. Have for 30+ years. And, as I said above, no, I am not a democrat, nor am I a leftist.
How do you feel about your taxpayer dollars being used to allow 32 year old able bodied men to work half time so they can go to "acting auditions" using your money?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
All that aside, our medical system is a major failure no matter what we do. That's because we spend $1 Trillion a year on treating largely preventable diseases. Fighting with each other about who pays for it after people get sick doesn't get at the root of the problem.

[/url]
So, what's the solution? Or at least what concrete things could we do to move us in the right direction?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
If you really HAVE to join a group (I realize some people cannot escape the trap of group think), then I suggest checking out Young Americans for Freedom and donating money or time to talk to those people. .

What is the Young Americans For Freedom organization doing about the situation with ACA and medicare/Medi-Cal?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, it's pretty much impossible to move away from the ever growing welfare state. It may be more advanced in CA, but the trend is the same everywhere. Ultimately, it's not there for our welfare. It's there for reasons of power and control.

All that aside, our medical system is a major failure no matter what we do. That's because we spend $1 Trillion a year on treating largely preventable diseases. Fighting with each other about who pays for it after people get sick doesn't get at the root of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=16s
I've heard this logic before, but when you can get fat people to stop stuffing their faces with trans fat, and stop depressed hipsters from smoking 2 packs a day, get back to me. We've spent billions of dollars trying to educate people on "preventable" diseases and preventative care. People do what they want even at their own peril.

Who pays for it is the actual issue here because I honestly don't care if a fat tubby oaf wants to weigh 400 pounds. That's their right. But that oaf should live with the financial consequences, not me.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
What is the Young Americans For Freedom organization doing about the situation with ACA and medicare/Medi-Cal?
Have you researched the YAF?

I'd say they had a big hand in getting us to the point of ACA being repealed (very soon).

The real question is what have YOU DONE to keep your tax dollars from being spent on ACA/MediCal waste?

You seem to be asking others to do all the work to save YOUR tax dollars but I haven't read one thing you've done to save them yourself. Maybe that's a sign that you should get more involved after 30 years of not being engaged at all.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If you really HAVE to join a group (I realize some people cannot escape the trap of group think), then I suggest checking out Young Americans for Freedom and donating money or time to talk to those people. I've spoken at two YAF meetings in my local area.
Hmmm, I checked out the Young Americans For Freedom website, as you suggested, but it seems to be an organization mainly aimed at college students.

I'm long past college age.

And YAF doesn't seem to be addressing the issues with ACA Medi-Cal that you started this thread about so I'm not sure why you recommended them.

Any other advocacy organizations that are working towards a solution to the ACA-medicare/medi-CAL issue that you'd recommend getting involved with?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, I checked out their website, as you suggested, but it seems to be an organization mainly for college students.

I'm long past college age.

And YAF doesn't seem to be addressing the issues with ACA Medi-Cal that you started this thread about so I'm not sure why you recommended them.

Any other advocacy organizations that are working towards a solution to the ACA-medicare/medi-CAL issue that you'd recommend getting involved with?
If that's all you got from your research, you really need to put more effort into your research. I can't help people who don't want to be helped.

I also noticed you totally ignored discussing all the work YOU'VE DONE to prevent wasteful expansions of MediCal and ACA. I detailed all the money and time I have spent but like you said, I'm no longer a California resident.

But you, a 30 year resident. Are we to believe you've done absolutely nothing? If that's the case, you are inherently part of the problem. If you don't get involved, you have no right to complain.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Have you researched the YAF?

I'd say they had a big hand in getting us to the point of ACA being repealed (very soon).

The real question is what have YOU DONE to keep your tax dollars from being spent on ACA/MediCal waste?

You seem to be asking others to do all the work to save YOUR tax dollars but I haven't read one thing you've done to save them yourself. Maybe that's a sign that you should get more involved after 30 years of not being engaged at all.
No. I am asking you to give your fans some concrete things they can do to effect the changes you hope to see with Medi-CAL and ACA.

I think it is great that you are passionate about so many issues, but if you want to make a real change, you need to do more than rile people up. You need to give your fans some concrete things they can do to help you make the changes you want to see happen.

I've found this thread to be much more informative then your other ones because you have offered some resources for getting more information and insight into your point of view.

One danger with just complaining is that it tends to turn people off from even considering your point of view in the first place. The same is true about assuming you know that another person is a "democrat" or "republican" or a "leftist" or a "right winger." The only true way to change minds is to be open to listening and considering multiple points of view, even if you disagree, without resorting to jingoistic name-calling.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-17-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies