Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then why do my taxes pay for roads that you drive on and I don't?
Exactly.

Angry yet?

You were thinking I would be ok with government forcing taxation to pay for roads not used by the individual? Maybe... instead of a stupid government "one size fits all" tax, we should leave it to private companies and they can charge each person by usage or membership? Sound good or does this risk the freeloader into having to pay? Your mistake is in thinking I or others here get more benefit than we put into to the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Exactly.

Angry yet?

You were thinking I would be ok with government forcing taxation to pay for roads not used by the individual? Maybe... instead of a stupid government "one size fits all" tax, we should leave it to private companies and they can charge each person by usage or membership? Sound good or does this risk the freeloader into having to pay? Your mistake is in thinking I or others here get more benefit than we put into to the system.
Privatization has not made anything cheaper. Compare public utility company fees to rates charged by for profit firms. I live in Sacramento, I have SMUD, a public utility for electric service, my rates are 30% cheaper than what customers just a few miles away pay PG&E.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
That is the essence of a progressives position. They just are afraid to admit that what they want is absolute total state control dictating to everyone.

Like Grubber said, if they tried to sell it for what it was, nobody would buy into it. Progressives have to lie to get you to accept it. You will just have to wait and see after they have implemented their government to find out! Trust them though, it will be so good for everyone! /throwup
You might like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70czT6tPvcs

Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Ok fine, so taxes are theft. How would you propose we build roads, educate kids and pay for police and fire services? Do you think that any/all of those things could be achieved through charitable contributions?
Definitely. I wanted to post a flow chart but I can't find it anywhere...it's basically just supply and demand though. Do people value the service? If not, it won't be funded. If so, they'll fund it. I see no reason why they wouldn't value those things.

Also kind of related to this, the way taxation and government operates, it's not easily maneuverable or adaptable. It's this big bureaucracy where funds aren't even reliant on the quality or effectiveness of the service, so it tends to stay the same (A joke I heard someone tell was something like...what's the difference between education decades ago and education today? The blackboard is now a whiteboard.)

So, I also think allowing competition and innovation in these areas could possibly lead to the current ways being obsolete. It's impossible to know for sure, but maybe something like roads and automobiles would be replaced by something else (Flying cars I hope ) if all the funds weren't being taken from everyone and given to the oil, automobile, construction industries, or whoever is invested in the current way of doing it.

Last edited by T0103E; 01-18-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Privatization has not made anything cheaper. Compare public utility company fees to rates charged by for profit firms. I live in Sacramento, I have SMUD, a public utility for electric service, my rates are 30% cheaper than what customers just a few miles away pay PG&E.
Problem is you can't have true privatization/capitalism with a State in existence.

They still must pay taxes, follow laws, and negotiate regulations.

All private business does under statism is interpret/manage State-imposed laws/regulations for its customers because customers don't have the inside knowledge/time/resources to do it for themselves (because they too have their own jobs/businesses to attend to).

That's it.

I'm a co-owner of a private loss prevention company. All we do is provide our clients with the best information/security as possible under what the government will allow. Everything from negotiating gun laws, alarm systems, background checks, etc.

If we didn't have involuntary government we could actually focus more on actual loss prevention. In a nutshell that's the difference between a private business that survives and one that fails: how much resources must be wasted on State-imposed stuff before you get to the actual business of doing your job. It's basically the only major stressor at my job.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy
Ok fine, so taxes are theft. How would you propose we build roads, educate kids and pay for police and fire services? Do you think that any/all of those things could be achieved through charitable contributions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Definitely. I wanted to post a flow chart but I can't find it anywhere...it's basically just supply and demand though. Do people value the service? If not, it won't be funded. If so, they'll fund it. I see no reason why they wouldn't value those things.
The problem is everybody wants services but wants someone else to pay for it. We would become a Third World country in pretty short order.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm a co-owner of a private loss prevention company. All we do is provide our clients with the best information/security as possible under what the government will allow. Everything from negotiating gun laws, alarm systems, background checks, etc.

If we didn't have involuntary government we could actually focus more on actual loss prevention. In a nutshell that's the difference between a private business that survives and one that fails: how much resources must be wasted on State-imposed stuff before you get to the actual business of doing your job. It's basically the only major stressor at my job.
Loss prevention is great but doesn't replace police if you are mugged, or fire if your house is burning huh? If we didn't have a government I would have to negotiate with private police and fire and if I forgot to send in my monthly check then I guess I am on my own, like these people were: No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - US news - Life | NBC News

Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Angry yet?

Ok so as my city creates more revenue than all those little towns, so you saying they can stay on rocks and mud, and find a good mule to cross the river! Let's go back in time, and see who built the USA. The Feds. Private companies only going to build for profit! So they not building the bridge in the small town so they can charge that farmer .50 to cross that bridge with his cows. Because he can't afford more. Your vision is selfish and self- centered, and you need the farmers cow!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Loss prevention is great but doesn't replace police if you are mugged, or fire if your house is burning huh? If we didn't have a government I would have to negotiate with private police and fire and if I forgot to send in my monthly check then I guess I am on my own, like these people were: No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - US news - Life | NBC News
Understood.
1. Personal responsibility is a bad thing.
2. One obscure data point carries a big emphasis.
3. Oh and government is good at running things.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Taxes are theft.

I am a slave.

Not sure what the military part is about.

Any other questions?
Then we might as well join the animal kingdom. The only right is to breathe air without being billed for it. Otherwise, everybody lives for the survival of the fittest. Everybody who has enough money to pay their medical bills will prevail on the survivors side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies