Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,432,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Saw an article that they expect up to 900,000 people to protest Trump's inauguration.

Really?

I don't remember 900 or 90 or 9 people protesting Barack Obama's inauguration even though many of us didn't think he was going to do a good job.

I will say this to the 900,000. What if you each took the 2 hours of time and did something constructive with it instead? Gave time to your local food bank or a charity? Etc. Instead of bellyaching.

Trump won. It's over.
Since Trump spent his time "constructively" trying to discredit Obama for years, he shouldn't mind a few hundred thousand now doing the same to him.

Call it karma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,577,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Saw an article that they expect up to 900,000 people to protest Trump's inauguration.

Really?

I don't remember 900 or 90 or 9 people protesting Barack Obama's inauguration even though many of us didn't think he was going to do a good job.

I will say this to the 900,000. What if you each took the 2 hours of time and did something constructive with it instead? Gave time to your local food bank or a charity? Etc. Instead of bellyaching.

Trump won. It's over.
I could break this one down to its electrons like "What makes a soul "pathetic"?", "Why should intelligent people accept your criteria of 'pathetic' as superior to most, if not all, others?". But I'll just get to the point and say that protesting inaugurations IS democracy in action. Besides, a lot of people think then-Tea Party, now Trump supporters (for the most part this is true, even if not 100% so) was pathetic when the Birther matter came up, given documentation and such (even Trump himself eventually conceded Obama was born in Hawaii).

The last paragraph also applies to the Trumpists - at least on weekends or whenever they have two hours time off from housework, errands, bill paying, etc. The most fervent of you bellyached about "Obamunism" as if he was just one step away from bringing Marxism-Leninism to Washington DC and your own home town.

If anything, its the Trump types who are the bellyachers, bellyaching about one of the most ordinary acts of political involvement. Hypocrites!!

Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I could break this one down to its electrons like "What makes a soul "pathetic"?", "Why should intelligent people accept your criteria of 'pathetic' as superior to most, if not all, others?". But I'll just get to the point and say that protesting inaugurations IS democracy in action. Besides, a lot of people think then-Tea Party, now Trump supporters (for the most part this is true, even if not 100% so) was pathetic when the Birther matter came up, given documentation and such (even Trump himself eventually conceded Obama was born in Hawaii).

The last paragraph also applies to the Trumpists - at least on weekends or whenever they have two hours time off from housework, errands, bill paying, etc. The most fervent of you bellyached about "Obamunism" as if he was just one step away from bringing Marxism-Leninism to Washington DC and your own home town.

If anything, its the Trump types who are the bellyachers, bellyaching about one of the most ordinary acts of political involvement. Hypocrites!!
Wow, I didn't know crybabies are "democracy in action".... It's sad that this is all that liberals can come up with...

Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wow, I didn't know crybabies are "democracy in action".... It's sad that this is all that liberals can come up with...
That's all you've got? You all were also being "crybabies" by your own definition with with your "Obamunist" rhetoric (which that alone robs you of any credibility, as it betrays their frank ignorance of what actual Communism was/is). That sounds like right-wing crybabyism to me. Democracy in action IS always gonna be called "crybabyism" by its opponents. The winners of the election are not entitled to the opposition rolling over surrender, as I'm sure any early Tea Party activist can tell you regarding Obama. Same thing with anti-Trump voters and Trump. Show some consistency.

As for "crybaby" itself, that assumes being upset IS worthy of disrespect. I know that testosterone-OD'ing types tend to think that any emotional dissatisfaction short of a close one's death makes a person worthy of disrespect, but that's being hypocritical. By their own standards, even the mention of repealing the second amendment makes some people outraged (a state of affairs much less destressing than a close one's death). The bashers can't have their cake and eat it too without making a hypocrite of themselves.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
That's all you've got? You all were also being "crybabies" by your own definition with with your "Obamunist" rhetoric (which that alone robs you of any credibility, as it betrays their frank ignorance of what actual Communism was/is). That sounds like right-wing crybabyism to me. Democracy in action IS always gonna be called "crybabyism" by its opponents. The winners of the election are not entitled to the opposition rolling over surrender, as I'm sure any early Tea Party activist can tell you regarding Obama. Same thing with anti-Trump voters and Trump. Show some consistency.

As for "crybaby" itself, that assumes being upset IS worthy of disrespect. I know that testosterone-OD'ing types tend to think that any emotional dissatisfaction short of a close one's death makes a person worthy of disrespect, but that's being hypocritical. By their own standards, even the mention of repealing the second amendment makes some people outraged (a state of affairs much less destressing than a close one's death). The bashers can't have their cake and eat it too without making a hypocrite of themselves.
There is a difference in protesting an action and protesting a win... crybaby fits...

Old 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM

7,579 posts, read 8,631,528 times
Those Don's Johns are perfect for temporary detention of the trouble makers.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
There is a difference in protesting an action and protesting a win... crybaby fits...
If anything, it IS protesting his actions - namely the demeaning of ethnics, people with disabilities, religions, women, etc. or anyone else who disagrees with him. If he's gonna be THAT demeaning during his campaign and during his period as president-elect, then how the hell can we trust him to be any better as actual President? Seriously, protesting his win is as much a protest toward "we the people" as anything - protesting how our culture could be such that "we the people" could have elected such a man as president - not in spite but in some part because of his demeanor. That is a serious cultural problem, going beyond mere politics but to the very core of what it means to be a civilized, humane society. I don't recall liberals protesting Reagan or Bush Sr. to such an extent, and I remember both their inaugurations. Don't even get me started on Russia and those hacked servers tipping (successfully) the election in their favor.

As for a win, I'd hardly call willing the electoral vote despite winning the popular vote a resounding mandate. Were he an ordinary respectable Republican candidate, I'd go "meh, whatever. it's the way of our politics". Yet his demeanor, corruption, refusal to release his tax returns, and a whole bunch else makes him NOT a normal candidate - regardless of party.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 PM

1,548 posts, read 908,358 times
It's pretty amazing, all over this one man. Love him or hate him, he cannot be ignored. I wonder if there is anyone in recent history who has generated as much typing.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
If anything, it IS protesting his actions - namely the demeaning of ethnics, people with disabilities, religions, women, etc. or anyone else who disagrees with him. If he's gonna be THAT demeaning during his campaign and during his period as president-elect, then how the hell can we trust him to be any better as actual President? Seriously, protesting his win is as much a protest toward "we the people" as anything - protesting how our culture could be such that "we the people" could have elected such a man as president - not in spite but in some part because of his demeanor. That is a serious cultural problem, going beyond mere politics but to the very core of what it means to be a civilized, humane society. I don't recall liberals protesting Reagan or Bush Sr. to such an extent, and I remember both their inaugurations. Don't even get me started on Russia and those hacked servers tipping (successfully) the election in their favor.

As for a win, I'd hardly call willing the electoral vote despite winning the popular vote a resounding mandate. Were he an ordinary respectable Republican candidate, I'd go "meh, whatever. it's the way of our politics". Yet his demeanor, corruption, refusal to release his tax returns, and a whole bunch else makes him NOT a normal candidate - regardless of party.
They already protested all that, they are protesting an inauguration... they are protesting a win... there is a term for that, crybaby...

Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 PM

10,057 posts, read 6,355,792 times
Quote:
They already protested all that, they are protesting an inauguration... they are protesting a win... there is a term for that, crybaby...
Nope, that is YOUR term for that, but it's not one that intelligent, independently thinking people would use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies