Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times

Advertisements

You go right ahead. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM

435 posts, read 431,049 times
Thank goodness pretty much everybody on CD agrees this is NOT a good idea. I'm in the Chicago region and we still have a ton of houses which are upside down, fueled by the last round of using your house as an ATM. Retail sales should be bolstered by job growth and income growth, not pulling equity of our your home.

US Housing Crisis - Negative Equity Infographic - Zillow

Old 01-18-2017, 10:10 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
We should at least try his idea.
You go ahead and do that.

Sacrice everything to make your dear leader look good. Then, go ahead and blame everyone else when you can't keep your head above water.

Not me. I've been sending extra money towards principal for years. My house is my home, not a credit card.

GOPers like you blasted people for using their homes as credit cards prior to the near depression of 2008. Now it's ok because it would help "your team" look good.

Get outta here.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Who is Dudley the dud wanting to benefit ? Retailers.

How many bought a home so they could benefit retailers ? Why not just put them up for free in the guest room for 20 years ?

Having a home that is paid off when you retire sets you up for a better retirement experience. I you buy young and pay it off ten years before you retire then put the same amount into retirement you benefit.

People like Dudley are not concerned about you. If you improve the economy and harm yourself is that a smart move ?
This isn't just about retailers. It's about banks too. Who do you think benefits from all those refi's?

I can't believe that dud said that.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Check Wikipedia.
I don't have to. I lived it.

Quote:
I researched this several months ago. GDP, National Debt...
GDP is a totally contrived number.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Clowns like this are just another reason to end the fed

Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
We should at least try his idea.
Yeah, that already happened before the housing bust....and look where that lead us to. Underwater mortgages!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't have to. I lived it.

I lived it too.

Reagan tripled the national debt, doubled the amount spent on foreign aid, and despite his blather about cutting taxes, enacted eleven tax increases including "Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982. TEFRA—the largest tax increase in American history—was designed to raise $214.1 billion over five years, and took back many of the business tax savings enacted the year before."

He also expanded the federal work force while pulling the rug out from under unions.

I'm not sure Reagan was totally responsible. There's a good chance he was just the front man for someone else as during the last years of is administration, he was clearly delusional at times, talking about his service in WWII. He never left Hollywood. He was confusing the movies he acted in with real life. Leslie Stahl reported a very unusual interview with him when he obviously was not with it.

"Reagan ended his 1988 farewell speech with the memorable line, "man is not free unless government is limited." The line is still a rallying cry for the right wing, but the speech came at the end of a long period of government expansion."

https://mises.org/library/sad-legacy-ronald-reagan-0

These Charts Show How Ronald Reagan Actually Expanded the Federal Government | Mother Jones

In any case, he did not leave the U.S. economy in better shape than he found it.

Since we don't know what shape Trump and the Republicans will leave our economy, pulling the equity out of your home is a fool's move.

Better plan would be be keep a close eye on your finances with only essential spending until we see which way the wind blows this time around with this crowd of Republicans.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-18-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 11:18 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
This is the last gasp of Keynesian economic folly. Cash ban, negative rates on tap. System is unsustainable and they know it. The great unwashed masses will want them swinging from trees soon.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I lived it too.

Reagan tripled the national debt, doubled the amount spent on foreign aid, and despite his blather about cutting taxes, enacted eleven tax increases including "Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982. TEFRA—the largest tax increase in American history—was designed to raise $214.1 billion over five years, and took back many of the business tax savings enacted the year before."
If you are going to spend you have to tax.

Quote:
He also expanded the federal work force while pulling the rug out from under unions.

I'm not sure Reagan was totally responsible. There's a good chance he was just the front man for someone else as during the last years of is administration, he was clearly delusional at times, talking about his service in WWII. He never left Hollywood. He was confusing the movies he acted in with real life. Leslie Stahl reported a very unusual interview with him when he obviously was not with it.

"Reagan ended his 1988 farewell speech with the memorable line, "man is not free unless government is limited." The line is still a rallying cry for the right wing, but the speech came at the end of a long period of government expansion."

https://mises.org/library/sad-legacy-ronald-reagan-0

These Charts Show How Ronald Reagan Actually Expanded the Federal Government | Mother Jones

In any case, he did not leave the U.S. economy in better shape than he found it.

Since we don't know what shape Trump and the Republicans will leave our economy, pulling the equity out of your home is a fool's move.

Better plan would be be keep a close eye on your finances with only essential spending until we see which way the wind blows this time around with this crowd of Republicans.
Carter didn't get crushed for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies