Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times

Advertisements

Today, the local large-market NPR station is holding an anti-Trump, pro-Democrat talk marathon in which they are variously Trump bashing and holding open strategy sessions on how the Democrats can win back positions of power. A strong undercurrent is this accountability tactic, which they are clearly over-applying to Trump as compared to say Hillary Clinton (making points that could be applied much better to Hillary in her prior position of power), and it is also outing them as being in collusion with Democrat political strategy.

I can't until the people responsible for using public funds, my funds, in such a corrupt partisan manor are held accountable either by the populace or by the government.

We're past the point of apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Mr. Dechalet? The following is your OP: They don't have just 18 months to perform their responsibilities. & performing job responsibilities doesn't depend on the number of seats held. They need to perform in order to keep their seats. Congress has fiduciary responsibilities to uphold on behalf of the American people. President-elect Trump considers those who didn't vote for him as a threat. In his 'acceptance' speech he identified his enemies. Notably, he thanked military folks for voting for him & NOT for their services to him & to all American people. (it's worth noting his priorities, as is usual, are focused on his interests) The following serves as a reminder for all American people, including those who took oaths to represent the American people, all of them, & that their oaths were NOT taken to serve an individual or faction or party:
Still not hearing how the Dems are going to hold him accountable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Of course he will be held accountable. All presidents are held accountable. The whole notion that no one can touch him no matter what is ridiculous. Only dictators are not held accountable, and to think that a US president cannot he held accountable should be a great concern if there was any truth to it. However, there is no truth to it. He will be held accountable by Congress, by the people, by the media, and by the whole world. Correction, in the end even dictators are held accountable. Saddam was not accountable for a long time, until the international community held him accountable, and he was hung by the neck.
Still not hearing how the Dems are going to hold him accountable.

All you're doing is saying that they will. How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. The more threads I see saying, "Nanny nanny boo boo, Trump won, and Hilary lost!" the more convinced I am his supporters are feeling more than a little anxiety about voting for him. I certainly haven't polled all Americans, but the ones I spoke to who voted for him voted for him not because they supported him, but because they supported the fact that he wasn't Hilary Clinton, and that's all he needed to get their vote. (And I live in a conservative state). We have no idea what he will really do when he's in office. We have no idea what ANY president-elect will do once they're in office. They can promise us the moon, but once they become president, all bets are off, and their actions unfold as they want.
Still not hearing how he's going to be held accountable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Nope, lynch is not a scandal, that is just you pumping alt right propaganda.
Yes, it is a scandal. She obstructed justice by meeting with Bill Clinton. If you don't understand how that obstructs justice, then you just don't know very much.

Quote:
As to upset, well I win no matter who won that election, Trump is going to further line my pockets, so I get paid very nicely indeed and if he manages to pull off ending the death tax, my kids will be absolutely thrilled, we are well structured but ending death tax means we could unwind
Yeah, sure.

And I guess you also have five Rolls Royces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Today, the local large-market NPR station is holding an anti-Trump, pro-Democrat talk marathon in which they are variously Trump bashing and holding open strategy sessions on how the Democrats can win back positions of power. A strong undercurrent is this accountability tactic, which they are clearly over-applying to Trump as compared to say Hillary Clinton (making points that could be applied much better to Hillary in her prior position of power), and it is also outing them as being in collusion with Democrat political strategy.

I can't until the people responsible for using public funds, my funds, in such a corrupt partisan manor are held accountable either by the populace or by the government.

We're past the point of apology.
I hear that Trump wants to cut federal funding for PBS, NPR, the NEA, Planned Parenthood, etc.

I hope he does.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
^Yep, 202 posts and not one word on how the powerless Democrats will be holding him accountable.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We can start by opposing any and all his Cabinet nominees. That way any sane Republican negative vote can scuttle this bunch of right wing fanatics and corporate thieves.

The proper way to treat bullies like The Donald is to hit them hard and keep hitting until they quit and go back to their bat cave.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We can start by opposing any and all his Cabinet nominees. That way any sane Republican negative vote can scuttle this bunch of right wing fanatics and corporate thieves.
They'll be approved.

Just you watch.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The latest brave words from the Democrats is that they are going to "hold Trump accountable."

Really?

I wonder how.

The Democrats don't have the House or the Senate.

In 2018, they'll lose even more seats in the Senate from states that voted for Trump.

They had 18 months to hold him accountable when he was running for office -- didn't happen.

And I'm not even asking "accountable for what?" -- but we can explore that, too.
By countering the FUD tactic (fear, uncertainty & doubt) with rational persuasion. Wait & see.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
By countering the FUD tactic (fear, uncertainty & doubt) with rational persuasion. Wait & see.
Rational persuasion.

I haven't seen that from Dems for the last fifty years.

But maybe they'll figure it out, although I seriously doubt it.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Rational persuasion.

I haven't seen that from Dems for the last fifty years.

But maybe they'll figure it out, although I seriously doubt it.
I appreciate your response, thanks & respect. To clarify: I'm going with Robert Dahl's description of influence:

1. Rational Persuasion, the nicest form of influence, means telling the truth and explaining why someone should do something, like a doctor convincing to stop smoking.
  2. Manipulative persuasion, a notch lower, means lying or misleading to get someone to do something.
  3. Inducement, still lower, means offering rewards or punishments to get someone to do something, like bribery.
  4. Power threatens severe punishment, such as jail or loss of a job.
  5. Coercion is power with no way out.
  6. Physical force is backing up coercion with use or threat of bodily harm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Dahl

If we're working toward long term sustainability, feasibility, pragmatic & attainable objectives, Accountability & Ethical decision making needs serious consideration!

Something along the lines of Sissela Bok's philosophy, "There are certain rules of conduct that any society must stress if it is to be viable. These include the abstract virtue of justice, some form of obligation to mutual aid and mutual abstention from injury, and, in some form and in some degree, the virtue of honesty."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies