Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 AM

195 posts, read 161,478 times

Advertisements

White Fragility Leads to White Violence: Why Conversations About Race With White People Fall Apart

Quote:
Why do conversations about race fall apart when we have them with white people?

I have been thinking about this for the last few weeks, ever since I attempted to speak with Grey’s Anatomy actress Ellen Pompeo about it on Twitter. As with many conversations I’ve had on race with white people, that one quickly devolved from an exchange of ideas into me being accused of being a racist who was attacking her. She tweeted those accusations to her more than 1 million followers, and as I type this three weeks later, people are still responding to my tweets, agreeing with her and attacking me in the process.
I think she's a little crazy and just blabbing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
My reply is in the picture in this article.

Teachers in Philadelphia Plan a Black Lives Matter Week - ABC News

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Reminds me of the movie, "The hand that rocks the cradle".

Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
White fragility is one of the most loaded social justice terms to come into being as of late. It seems like it is lobbed at white people who decide that they don't want to hear people denigrate their race or culture.

"Hey mayonnaise, check your privilege. Let me guess, you want to build a wall to keep all the brown people out, don't you?"
"What the - man, stop it. You're being a bigot."
"OHHHH WHITE FRAGILITY. Don't go getting all angry and shoot up a school or anything."

Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
We can't have conversations about race because they want a lecture, not a conversation. Non-blacks have very little to gain from engaging in such a lecture and , quite frankly, we've got better things to do.

White fragility is not a thing, it's just something a social science professor made up to justify his existence.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
I was about three paragraphs in before I threw up in my mouth a little.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:42 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
White fragility! More liberal shame techniques. You'd think they'd knock it off after having Trump stuffed down their throats, but they'll probably just get shriller and more hysterical.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
She babbles too much with too much of a variety of internet ridiculousness IMO.

FWIW, I do think some white people are "fragile" and way to sensitive to have a "real" discussion about race and the history of racism and white supermacy in this country. I believe this is the case due to them feeling a personal attack from it and I can understand that POV being that many black people also feel a personal attack on their person when they are lumped with welfare queens and criminals.

Due to that, I feel that the discussion should begin with the fact that this is an historical discussion and nothing should be taken in a personal way. I do this with every verbal conversation I've had about race with any "type" of person because people, by nature are easily offended and get defensive based on being offended.

But this lady was going on and on too much. I think the whole discussion about "black emojis" is ridiculous and a waste of time. I wonder what she does "off-line" to assist in causes that need a body on the ground and someone speaking IRL. Too often these internet "activist" are just big mouths who do nothing with their lives but become professional internet trolls IMO.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
White fragility is one of the most loaded social justice terms to come into being as of late. It seems like it is lobbed at white people who decide that they don't want to hear people denigrate their race or culture.

"Hey mayonnaise, check your privilege. Let me guess, you want to build a wall to keep all the brown people out, don't you?"
"What the - man, stop it. You're being a bigot."
"OHHHH WHITE FRAGILITY. Don't go getting all angry and shoot up a school or anything."
It's probably an effective tactic for minority activists trying to assert their dominance over white liberals and solidify their position at the top of the SJW hierarchy.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
"White fragility" being used as a denigrating term by people who feel that they are being victimized every day of their lives and that they are the objects of oppression so suffocating that it permeates every aspect of their existence.

Where NOT having black emojis is a devastating social commentary and example of white supremacy and hegemony... despite the fact that original emojis were school bus yellow. Where a white person wearing dreadlocks or conrows can cause someone to go apoplectic and physically assault someone. Where encountering a white Jesus will throw someone into a tizzy, but Jesus looking like a Nigerian with a jerry curl (also not accurate) is OK, and Asian depicted Jesus is just "black and brown against the town."

Yeah. WHITE fragility. Definitely a thing that these people should be lecturing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies