Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times

Advertisements

Consider this...

If the price of gasoline keeps rising to say, $5/gallon, won't this force lots of people who otherwise stay wrapped up in their own heads to wake up and consider taking some action at a personal level to reduce consumption? There are lots of painless adjustments to a lifestyle that one can do that will make them less dependent on their gas-hog SUV.

I moved to a location only 4 miles from my place of work several years ago. I've learned to consolidate trips - I no longer return home between visits to the grocery store and the book store, etc. I do all of these stops in one sweep on the way home from work. And these days a tank of gas lasts me almost a month.

But I've taken a further step. I've gotten my old motorcycle running, renewed my MC driver's license and on warm days I ride it to and from work, getting about 50 mpg and enjoying the trip both ways.

I fully understand that what I've done is just applicable to me. Individual and family circumstances will dictate widely different courses of action. But it may get to the point where almost everyone will find themselves having to reduce consumption.

And I see that as a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,448 times
And what of the people who can't afford to change anything more than they already have?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
And what of the people who can't afford to change anything more than they already have?
I think there's always something that can change. Even if it means relocating or changing jobs. It's true that limited resources make changes more difficult. But then, someone in that position is probably already not consuming large quantities of nonrenewable fuel.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
If we can just go back to three years less usage then that will help alot.We can't keep using 10% more gasoline pre year.Prices have stopped nothing so far;people just keep using more and more.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,238 times
High gas prices suck, but they are necassary for inivation to gas free alternatives. Gas prices are still kept artificially low through oi subsidies, this is bad policy.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think there's always something that can change. Even if it means relocating or changing jobs. It's true that limited resources make changes more difficult. But then, someone in that position is probably already not consuming large quantities of nonrenewable fuel.
I like your ideas but i guess you have never been truly broke.

Not everyone can afford to live close to where they work or simply change jobs...that costs money.
Not everyone can afford a motorcycle or insurance or upkeep on two vehicles.
We reduce consumption by not going anywhere on the weekends....we have always been frugal but now we don't contribute to the economy by shopping or eating out.

Just think, if everyone stayed home, didn't buy anything that wasn't absolutely necessary(flat screen TV's are NOT necessary), didn't eat out, didn't have their kids in 100's of activities that they have to drive to to "get exercise",
didn't attend over-priced sporting events, didn't visit museums or use libraries....think of the money we'd save on gas.
Now, I know this won't happen because people can NOT control themselves but I wonder how that would affect the economy....??

BTW, it won't bring down the price of gas...

Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
If it only affected driving to work it would be one thing, but it affects the price of everything, food prices along with evrything else goes up due to transportation costs.I don't see anything good about it myself.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If we can just go back to three years less usage then that will help alot.We can't keep using 10% more gasoline pre year.Prices have stopped nothing so far;people just keep using more and more.
America's ever increasing population will ensure that there's no drop-off in demand. Even if everyone who is now driving cuts back a little, next year there will be more drivers on the road and fuel consumption will increase, on the whole.

What is required is a change in attitude. This "use it all up right now" mindset has to go the way of the dinosaurs. Each one of us has to become less selfish and more aware.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Quote:
Not everyone can afford to live close to where they work or simply change jobs...that costs money.
To some extent. But people often limit themselves in terms of how far they'll relocate. It's possible that relocating across town isn't the solution. Some might have to relocate clear across the country, or to some less-desirable areas that need workers, like rural Wyoming.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
how about just drilling for more oil so it is a non issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies