Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 05:46 AM

35 posts, read 26,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is why there are charities in this country. Ever hear of St. Judes???
EXACTLY... rather than be dictated as to what we must pay, would it not be more fair to allow everyone to be free to choose how much or how little they give? No one is owed ANYTHING but that which is stated in the Bill of Rights. We should be taking care of our country before helping others... don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Look at the top charities in the US (cut-off is less than $140M annually):

United Way Worldwide, $3.708 billion.
Task Force for Global Health, $3.154 billion.
Feeding America, $2.150 billion.
Salvation Army, $1,904 billion.
YMCA of the USA, $1.202 billion.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, $1.181 billion
Food for the Poor, $1.156 billion.
Boys & Girls Club of America, $923 million.
Catholic Charities USA, $921 million.
Goodwill Industries International, $902 million.
Habitat for Humanity International, $829 million.
World Vision, $825 million.
American Cancer Society, $810 million.
Patient Access Network Foundation, $801 million.
Compassion International, $799 million.
Direct Relief, $775 million.
Americares Foundation, $740 million.
Lutheran Services in America, $723 million.
Nature Conservancy, $646 million.
American Heart Association, $634 million.
American National Red Cross, $624 million.
Samaritan's Purse, $565 million.
MAP International, $545 million.
Step Up for Students, $#521 million.
Cru, $514 million.
United States Fund for UNICEF, $509 million.
Wounded Warrior Project, $473 million.
Feed the Children, $446 million.
Mount Sinai Health Systems, $439 million.
Save the Children Federation, $379 million.
CARE USA, $378 million.
Good 360, $377 million.
Catholic Relief Services, $372 million.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America, $354 million.
Doctors Without Borders USA, $338 million.
Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation, $331 million.
Make-a-Wish Foundation of America, $305 million.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, $298 million.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, $298 million.
Boy Scouts of America, $296 million.
Cross International, $291 million.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, $285 million.
Catholic Medical Mission Board, $281 million.
Alzheimer's Association, $278 million.
Population Services International, $271 million.
Mayo Clinic, $271 million.
Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, $269 million.
Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, $268 million
American Kidney Fund, $265 million.
Operation Blessing International Relief & Dev., $256 million.
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, $255 million.
Entertainment Industry Foundation, $255 million.
Shriners Hospitals for Children, $248 million.
Susan G. Komen, $242 million.
Project HOPE, $240 million.
Brother's Brother Foundation, $237 million.
American Civil Liberties Union and Foundation, $233 million.
ChildFund International, $230 million.
International Rescue Committee, $228 million.
Young Life, $224 million.
World Wildlife Fund, $222 million.
Easterseals, $221 million.
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, $215 million.
Public Broadcasting Service, $212 million.
Metropolitan Museum of Art, $209 million.
Helen Keller International, $207 million.
Foothill Land Conservancy, $206 million.
JDRF, $199 million.
Smithsonian Institution, 198 million.
UJA/Federation of New York, $195 million.
Teach for America, $194 million.
Scholarship America, $192 million.
Paralyzed Veterans of America, $191 million.
Children International, $188 million.
Matthews 25: Ministries, $185 million.
Harlem Children's Zone, $184 million.
Medical Teams International, $184 million.
ClimateWorks Foundation, $184 million.
Robin Hood Foundation, $183 million.
Wycliffe Bible Translators, $182 million.
March of Dimes Foundation, $181 million.
Humane Society of the United States, $180 million.
United Service Organizations, $179 million.
New York-Presbyterian Hospital,$178 million.
Metropolitan Opera Association, $176 million.
American SPCA, $173 million.
Christian Broadcasting Network, $173 million.
United Negro College Fund, $171 million.
Houston Food Bank, $169 million.
Educational Media Foundation, $162 million.
Project Orbis International, $160 million.
PATH, $158 million.
Museum of the Bible, $156 million.
The Arc, $153 million.
Junior Achievement USA, $150 million.
Smile Train, $150 million.
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, $149 million.
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, $148 million.
American Museum of Natural History, $140 million.
American Diabetes Association, $140 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As a teacher - in all honesty - special education needs to be vastly reformed.

I have had multiple special education classes in my room during my planning period so I can observe them and nothing to very little get done. In these resource rooms the kids do nothing the majority of the time, the teachers do nothing the majority of the time, the kids leave the room alone or in groups to wander about.

I have seen English resource rooms in my classroom that have literally done nothing the majority of the week. The teacher does nothing - no grammar lesson plan - no enforcement of working on papers that they are behind on - the kids know the expectation is that you come in and put your headphones on and surf the web or goof off on social media.

Special Education teachers placed in my room to help one on one students have spent most of their time on their laptops watching sports highlights, shopping on amazon.com, or just surfing the web, etc...

We are approaching 1 out of every 6 students being in special education, which is expensive (to pay for extra teachers) for little help. It is well over 1 out of 6 when you count the kids with 504 Plan accommodations. Many kids with IEPs or 504Plans get accommodations that aren't tailored to the individual student and thus enable the student to get lazier. For example, I had a student with a Math disability. She averaged 90% the first semester - then got an accommodation due to math where she could turn in late work - but it was for all classes then she simply stopped turning things in on time with the accommodation and then not at all and went to a 60% student.

Granted this is at my school - but I have worked at another school and it was the same...I believe this is more common than we realize a nation. I had brought concerns to the higher ups and so have other teachers...it isn't all special education teachers/parapros, at my school, but it is half. The some of the worst offenders have been pressured to leave, but severe problems persist.
That is your school --and depends on the disability- I do believe teachers need to be re-educated in these areas- my other grand has one form of dyslexia -(6) The first grade teach said he was a bad kid in school and failed him- next years teacher saw the problem and highlighted some letters in his reading and got him going ... he has been an HONOR ROLL STUDENT 4 years since.
OUR LITTLE ANGEL was in a separate class where the therapist would come etc. - but the kids did much better with the daily repetitive activities, socializing and different stimuli, that you could never give at home. It is about giving the kids a better quality of life-

Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As a teacher - in all honesty - special education needs to be vastly reformed.

I have had multiple special education classes in my room during my planning period so I can observe them and nothing to very little get done. In these resource rooms the kids do nothing the majority of the time, the teachers do nothing the majority of the time, the kids leave the room alone or in groups to wander about.

I have seen English resource rooms in my classroom that have literally done nothing the majority of the week. The teacher does nothing - no grammar lesson plan - no enforcement of working on papers that they are behind on - the kids know the expectation is that you come in and put your headphones on and surf the web or goof off on social media.

Special Education teachers placed in my room to help one on one students have spent most of their time on their laptops watching sports highlights, shopping on amazon.com, or just surfing the web, etc...

We are approaching 1 out of every 6 students being in special education, which is expensive (to pay for extra teachers) for little help. It is well over 1 out of 6 when you count the kids with 504 Plan accommodations. Many kids with IEPs or 504Plans get accommodations that aren't tailored to the individual student and thus enable the student to get lazier. For example, I had a student with a Math disability. She averaged 90% the first semester - then got an accommodation due to math where she could turn in late work - but it was for all classes then she simply stopped turning things in on time with the accommodation and then not at all and went to a 60% student.

Granted this is at my school - but I have worked at another school and it was the same...I believe this is more common than we realize a nation. I had brought concerns to the higher ups and so have other teachers...it isn't all special education teachers/parapros, at my school, but it is half. The some of the worst offenders have been pressured to leave, but severe problems persist.
I've seen this as well. It tends to be the Spec Ed aides hired to provide one-on-one, pull-out support. Most of them have minimal training, and little support or supervision.

But I've also seen dedicated Spec Ed teachers work wonders with small groups of students with special needs.

Torey Hayden, a Spec Ed teacher in Minnesota, wrote a series of books on her work in self-contained classrooms. She quit teaching when mainstreaming became the name of the game.

She wrote of integrating students back into regular classrooms when they were ready, but believed that it was wrong to deny children with special needs the opportunity to grow and develop at their own pace in a protected environment geared to their needs.

I agree. It's heartbreaking to see students struggle to keep up in classrooms when they are just not able or prepared to this.

But it satisfies the law, the parents of the children with special needs, and the budget. Much cheaper to throw these kids in and have an aide pull them out a few times a week than to have classrooms dedicated to meeting their educational needs.

But if vouchers become the name of the game, public schools will likely become the self-contained classrooms for students with disabilities and behavior problems.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-20-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 06:08 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its truly disgusting isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBzJleeOno

I suggest everyone who thinks that disabled people have nothing to add to our society watch this video. Absolutely appalling and disgusting. And yet again, coming from the pro-life crowd.
"I suggest everyone who thinks that disabled people have nothing to add to our society watch this video.'

I believe that ANYBODY who actually believe this accusation is delusional!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The exact opposite needs to happen. Disabled students are the only group with legal educational rights, and catering to them is trampling all the other students' educational needs. My kids have had BD (behavior disorder, and yes it's classified as a disability for educational purposes) kids in their classes who threw desks and chairs around the room when they didn't get their way. The principal was sent to the classroom several times/week to try to get the other students out to cower in the hallway until the social worker was able to placate the BD student. Try learning anything in THAT environment.

Many parents and even the school wanted the BD kid transferred out of the regular classroom, but there wasn't anything anyone could do about it. You see, as a disabled student, he had the legal right to "the least restrictive" learning environment, and his parents would scream to high heaven about his "rights" and threaten to sue the school district if he were to be placed into anything but a regular classroom.

That kind of thing goes on A LOT.

Let's see... my kids have also had biters, kickers, and school and private property destroyers in their classrooms when they were in K-8.

Welcome to the land of non-disabled students have no rights whatsoever.
I've seen that countless times as well. It's a nightmare. We've transferred our kids out of one school into another only to have the same thing happen again.

From what we've seen, public school students do not have a legal right to an education in a calm environment.

Private schools don't put up with such nonsense. Parents won't pay tuition for it. Ever heard of a parochial school that allowed a student to throw desks around and create a commotion on a regular basis?

Much as I love public schools and hate the idea of children growing up in voucher schools surrounded by people just like them, I don't see how this can continue. We simply have to have an educated population that is capable of doing more than shifting boxes around down at the factory.

We simply cannot continue to support this many people who for all practical purposes are unemployable.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I suggest everyone who thinks that disabled people have nothing to add to our society watch this video.'

I'm sure she has something to add to our society. But 40-60 hours per week of individual, one-on-one therapy for years on end is a lot of resources devoted to one child.

She was born in Toronto, Canada. Did Canadian taxpayers provide these services? Do they have any problem with doing so?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Do you even understand what IDEA does? Or what it protects?

If you did, you wouldn't call me delusional.

ALL children are entitled to free public school. I can see by this thread that many people don't agree. So what am I led to believe? I believe people therefore don't count disabled children as worthy of the public funds we spend on neurotypical, nondisabled children. I believe I've seen a lot of hate and total ignorance thrown around on this thread about what it means to be disabled or have a disabled child.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm sure she has something to add to our society. But 40-60 hours per week of individual, one-on-one therapy for years on end is a lot of resources devoted to one child.

She was born in Toronto, Canada. Did Canadian taxpayers provide these services? Do they have any problem with doing so?
Do you understand how education works for someone with disabilities?

A lot of the therapies these children receive in school are NOT paid for with public school money. They are paid for either through private insurance or medical assistance depending on the state. So, yes, tax payer money is used -- either way -- but its not public school funds from which the money is spent.

Instead of asking to remove disabled children from classrooms where they are entitled to be, perhaps you should be asking why teachers don't have assistants? You might also want to know that many of the therapies and assistance disabled children receive comes from other people besides the teacher through therapists, TSS workers, etc.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you even understand what IDEA does? Or what it protects?

If you did, you wouldn't call me delusional.

ALL children are entitled to free public school. I can see by this thread that many people don't agree. So what am I led to believe? I believe people therefore don't count disabled children as worthy of the public funds we spend on neurotypical, nondisabled children. I believe I've seen a lot of hate and total ignorance thrown around on this thread about what it means to be disabled or have a disabled child.
There's a lot of hate and ignorance thrown around on this forum in general. No news here and no reason to imagine this thread would be any different.

I have some on this thread on ignore, so I don't see all the responses. But I haven't seen any posts about how children with disabilities don't count and aren't worthy of public funds.

What I have seen are post about how children with disabilities are getting a disproportionate share of teaching resources and this has an impact on the education of all the children.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Left at the mercy of the state????

your state is heartless? Yo elect the legislators in your state. If the state is merciless toward the children its on you.

The feds waste money from which other disabled children would benefit. So depriving children of aid because of colossal waste is okay?
I agree.

Who is going to be more compassionate when dealing with disabled kids? A faceless bureaucrat a thousands miles away looking at numbers on a spreadsheet, or your local representative who actually lives in your district and must face voters every two years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies