Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Are we returning to what was pretty much normal for thousands of years? Kids and parents living under the same roof. My fathers parents and my great grandparents lived in the same house. Mucho fighting between my grandmother, whose house it was and my great grandmother who was the elder.
Yes, and in my opinion it is a healthy thing. Family, I am reading oh what a hateful concept better you squeeze into a limited housing market with many generational mates so you can have sex without embarrassing mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
who can blame them? Women may call them "wimps" because they don't want to be with a so called "strong" woman
but those men are NOT stupid. They do not want to put with the BS that comes with todays feminist "strong" women.

Not to mention, divorce courts are not on their side but 99% of the time favor the wife. Kids? forget it. Family court sides with the mother 99% of the time too.

So, men aren't marrying? Good! I say let them marry but do not marry an American woman, because they are all damaged goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
35% of millennial young men live with their parents!

"For men ages 18 to 34, living at home with mom and/or dad has been the dominant living arrangement since 2009. In 2014, 28% of young men were living with a spouse or partner in their own home, while 35% were living in the home of their parent"

In 2014, for the first time in more than 130 years, adults ages 18 to 34 were slightly more likely to be living in their parents’ home than they were to be living with a spouse or partner in their own household." This article was last year and stats from 2014 but I doubt it has changed much

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds | Pew Research Center

I wonder if gaming and growing up with computers and social media has really made socializing into adults much harder. The numbers are shocking for young men still living with parents

graph from wikimedia commons

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM

811 posts, read 550,335 times
Most of those complaining they can't get a job and are living with their parents probably majored in something stupid.

You liberals that thought it was a good idea to "follow your heart" and major in women's studies, art history, creative writing, Africana studies, hotel management, and anything else you could have learned just by reading Huffington Post all day have no one to blame but yourself.

Thousands of dollars in debt for you to be 25 working as a barista at Starbucks lol.

Newsflash. People that major in REAL majors in science, technology, engineering, and medicine (STEM fields) aren't having a tough time. They typically don't wait long to find a job and make great money out the gate and don't have to live with their parents.

Lol one thing about Trump I like is that he is shutting down this naive baby nonsense. Time to toughen up.Most of those complaining they can't get a job and are living with their parents probably majored in something stupid.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I have observed this as well, men/fathers are the "no nonsense" party in any relationship. Most women are much softer in comparison and more likely to fall for the "sob stories" and "excuses" thrown out by these slacker/loser types who refuse to carry their own weight

Men are generally "taken more seriously" by kids, so it's only natural that as the incidence of fatherless welfare-funded single motherhood has EXPLODED kids seem to have gotten lazier and more undisciplined. A side-effect is the millions and millions of motivation-less young men that are common today or spending their entire days watching Twitch and Youtube

There's no "quick and easy" solution to all this, but replacing Obama (wimpy/feminist) with Trump (good role model/alpha male) is a good start

I'll spot you $20 to have lunch with my liberal, Catholic, school teacher mom who is originally from Boston. She's pretty much that bleeding heart Democrat, women's libber, she devil that's just ruining Murica. Spout off on her and you can tell me just how soft she gets when someone goes off track.

I won't deny that the same sex parent (mom for girls, dad for boys) is often the one who has to drop the hammer but there are plenty of women who hold their own in the expectation & accountability game. And they tend to go from zero to meet Jesus in a much shorter timeframe than most men.

On the original topic, a lot of people going to local colleges and tech schools are staying home for $ reasons. We have more people in schools and schools have only grown costlier.

There are ethnic variations . I know a lot of newer Asian immigrants are much more likely to have multiple generations is one as almost a standard. I've actually spoken with someone in development that told me some tract home builders are adjusting models for multiple living rooms and dual kitchens. In my mother's Italian immigrant family many of the kids lived at home into their 20s- and in her generation they lived at home until they married, went into the service or moved after college in my mothers case.

You have to also take into account how much larger homes have grown in recent years. Hanging out in dual master or a 400 sf frog with its own bath isn't quite as tough as staying in an 8x10 1950s bedroom. I know a couple who bought a large house with kids in high school because they expected the kids to stay with them beyond. Not that I think that's normal either...

Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Its insane to see how the 1960s transformed America. Two-parent households have been on a serious decline in the United States .

In the early 1960s babies typically arrived within a marriage, today fully four-in-ten births occur to women who are single or living with a non-marital partner.

40% of children today in america are being born to single mothers or in a very few cases , "stepfathers" !

The American family today | Pew Research Center

In 1960, the height of the post-World War II baby boom, there was one dominant family form. At that time 73% of all children were living in a family with two married parents in their first marriage. By 1980, 61% of children were living in this type of family, and today less than half (46%) are.

"There is one unmistakable lesson in American history; a community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken families, dominated by women, never acquiring any stable relationship to male authority, never acquiring any set of rational expectations about the future - that community asks for and gets chaos."

~ Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
>Yes, and in my opinion it is a healthy thing. Family, I am reading oh what a hateful concept better you squeeze into a limited housing market with many generational mates so you can have sex without embarrassing mom.<

You’d be surprised. I worked with a guy whose daughter lived with him. Her boyfriend lived there too. He said something along the lines of “She is warm and safe and dry. Living in a better neighborhood. And honestly, I knew they were having sex with or without my place. She is 25 for crying out loud.” He is now living with his girlfriend in a beach community. His daughter since moved with the boyfriend to NC.

>who can blame them? Women may call them "wimps" because they don't want to be with a so called "strong" woman
but those men are NOT stupid. They do not want to put with the BS that comes with todays feminist "strong" women.

Not to mention, divorce courts are not on their side but 99% of the time favor the wife. Kids? forget it. Family court sides with the mother 99% of the time too.

So, men aren't marrying? Good! I say let them marry but do not marry an American woman, because they are all damaged goods.<

Far more complicated than that. Then again, the lack of boundaries in young people often alarms me. Women going on dinner dates with “male friends” and vice versa. A bit of alcohol… If I ever told my wife I was going alone to a dinner with a female… I can only imagine the firestorm.
Alimony is decreasing in many states. More and more women are pushing for it as they attain higher education and out-earn their husbands.
>Most of those complaining they can't get a job and are living with their parents probably majored in something stupid.

You liberals that thought it was a good idea to "follow your heart" and major in women's studies, art history, creative writing, Africana studies, hotel management, and anything else you could have learned just by reading Huffington Post all day have no one to blame but yourself.<

Not necessarily true. Note I mean that finding a job with a “real” major is still quite difficult. I do not mean that the ethnic studies/ arts etc degree generally have the same earning and employment potential. There are still a ton of people with real degrees working big box etc.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 AM

305 posts, read 179,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Pfff, easy for you to say. For everyone who succeeds, there are at least two suffering under the current economics of our country. Increased low wage jobs, decreased medium wage jobs. Yet we see costs rise. You were lucky with your dumpy apartment in the bad part of town, some aren't so lucky. You were. You want a medal? I mean us Millennials were supposed to get medals for everything, why not good luck?
You're right, I did get lucky. If I hadn't of been so lucky I would have had to get room mates...

I really, really did not want to live at home. If others want to, to pay off debt, student loans, save up to buy a house, or just want to live a certain life that they can only afford by staying at home - then okay. But if their top priority is independence (which it shouldn't always be the top priority, as is the case with debt and student loans or even saving to buy a house), then they'd make it work.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
If you look at the graph of young people and marriage from the 1960s its quite a huge drop especially for women, but for men as well. This is now the largest generation in America right now , I don't think it really bodes well for the future if you have 35% of 18-34 year old men living at home, or the present economy.

I moved in with my parents after college and I was in hell,serious depression every day I pulled up to that house and went down to my old room in the basement. I did it for close to 1 year. I couldnt get out fast enough, how does a 30 year old man stand living with his parents, unless you have to take care of a parent.

Getting a roommate and living somewhere is affordable for almost anyone I would think, or a studio unless you are in some place like manhattan or san fran
The info says 18 to 34

As far as we know, 90% of those living at home are seniors in high school, or college age.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post

For me, I have no idea what career I want to do, or what would be realistic for someone like me who doesn't want to waste money on school when I know it's not for me. I've heard the trades, but even with those I'm not sure what would interest me. For right now, I'm pretty content with my life now. I don't work that many hours each week, and I can do the things I like to do. I have no problem living with my family, because we all get along. I'm not really that social, don't have many friends, and I haven't had a girlfriend yet. So I don't really have anything to motivate me. Getting my own house doesn't interest me. Most of my hobbies are relatively cheap and don't require a lot of money. I can do them by working my current minimum wage job. I also don't let anyone dictate when I do things, I do them when I want to.

It seems to me that some in this thread are jealous of the life I get to live, because they didn't get to live this life. It has to be something like that, otherwise why would you even care what 18-34 year old males are doing?

This might be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The info says 18 to 34

As far as we know, 90% of those living at home are seniors in high school, or college age.
True, perhaps find the % ages 25 to 34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies