Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe we just respect the real fact that fewer people, percentagewise, voted FOR him than any president in history and since younger voters tended NOT to vote for him, it might be best to let these students just go on about their school day, getting an education on the topics that are relevant to their classes.

Unless one is in a current events class on Friday, there needs not be any discussion of Trump.
We should respect freedom of speech and the rights of the individual first.
Yes lets squash debate. Lets squash communication and the exchange of ideas. Because freedom of speech is bad when you disagree with the subject. We wouldn't have rights if it wasn't for freedom of speech.

Shouldn't talk about how bad the economy is under Obama, that might upset people. Shouldn't talk about gay marriage that might upset people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know someone who works at a high school in Mass. and a memo went out that no one is to speak a word about Trump this Friday because it might upset some students.

What? I think this is so stupid. Love, Lump or Loathe him Trump won the election and ignoring his inauguration is not going to make him go away.

I would wager that there are other schools out there that are ignoring this Historic time where a rich political outsider rose to the top to defeat the entrenched shoe in candidate.

This is a teachable moment for the kids and it needs to be talked about. Tissues and counselors will be available at the end of the lecture...
There are so many lesson to be learned here but ignoring them is ridiculous.

Have our schools become so liberal and narrow minded that they refuse to have a frank discussion about both sides of the debate?

I have a sad feeling that if Hillary had carried the day that her inauguration would be celebrated and every TV in that school would be tuned to the event.

Sad.

This should be a time when America comes together and looks to make a better future but boy some people are sore bitter losers.
I'm sure that if Hillary had won we would not be seeing the mass boycotts. There would be many unhappy people but we would get ready to hold on and make the best of the next 4 years.
Some of these Dems are pathetic and their actions petty.
What kind of lessons are the kids learning? If you don't get your way refuse to play?
The lesson of the day should be about the game of politics and how one person can make a difference in the future of our country. Imagine one child out there could be so inspired by the Trump election that he or she sets themselves on the path to be a future President but ignoring what happened is not going to help anything.
And if Hillary had won the election the liberal-biased MSM would have been celebrating it 24/7 on their shows. It would be an event they would continue to talk about and shout with glee about going on and on for at least the next month.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Crazy, eh?

Maybe they've had a lot of ha-ha-ha-we-won-you-lost, shut-up-you-bunch-of-crybaby-snowflakes talk such as we've seen on this forum. Maybe the teachers are just tired of it.

Perhaps they could show some clips of the recent Senate hearings. Help them get an idea of what's in store for them.

Personally, I think watching Warrior Monk General James Mattis respond to questions at the hearing and then talking about what he stands for would be a very teachable moment.

“You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.”

“No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.”

“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.”

Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Certainly the kids are going to be talking about it. Will teachers tell students to not discuss it among themselves and just pretend it isn't real....?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Certainly the kids are going to be talking about it. Will teachers tell students to not discuss it among themselves and just pretend it isn't real....?
Sadly, I suspect some will. The education establishment has more than their share of intolerant Snowflakes.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Crazy, eh?

Maybe they've had a lot of ha-ha-ha-we-won-you-lost, shut-up-you-bunch-of-crybaby-snowflakes talk such as we've seen on this forum. Maybe the teachers are just tired of it.

Perhaps they could show some clips of the recent Senate hearings. Help them get an idea of what's in store for them.

Personally, I think watching Warrior Monk General James Mattis respond to questions at the hearing and then talking about what he stands for would be a very teachable moment.

“You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.”

No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.”

“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.”
I didn't really follow all of your babbling, but the quote that I bolded couldn't be more true.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe we just respect the real fact that fewer people, percentagewise, voted FOR him than any president in history and since younger voters tended NOT to vote for him, it might be best to let these students just go on about their school day, getting an education on the topics that are relevant to their classes.

Unless one is in a current events class on Friday, there needs not be any discussion of Trump.
My guess is almost nobody in the school voted for him. They aren't old enough..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Our schools had a meeting the morning after the election to talk about to handle the high emotions following Trump's win, and teachers were asked to remind students to communicate with one another respectfully. There were a couple of disturbing incidents in late November and early December, leading the administration to send home letters outlining their expectations for students and their families. Some students also took it on themselves to start a kindness campaign. I'm hopeful that things do not start to escalate again after tomorrow. It's already been a tense couple of months.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And the left is having a fit claiming that Trump is associated with the Russians. Teachers deciding their students are not allowed to speak of President-Elect Donald Trump is nothing more than those teachers being dictators in line with communistic views.

The epitome of taking away the students Freedom of Speech!!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And the left is having a fit claiming that Trump is associated with the Russians. Teachers deciding their students are not allowed to speak of President-Elect Donald Trump is nothing more than those teachers being dictators in line with communistic views.

The epitome of taking away the students Freedom of Speech!!
As I re-read the OP, it was not my impression that the students were being denied their right to discuss the matter, only that teachers were told not to bring it up. Is there some evidence to the contrary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies