Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

I think the Trump presidency is going to do more to build a progressive future for America than a Clinton one would have in the long run. Trump is clearly an incompetent, corrupt buffoon who eeked across the finish line on the fumes of a movement that has seen it's best days. When your core demographic is white people over the age of 65, it's obvious you're not long for the world. We are in for a rough two years or so, but the future still belongs to those of us who want to see a more equitable, just America for all. I'm looking forward to the coming months -- hope you are too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 02:31 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
With any president, Republican or Democrat.. My only hope is that they don't screw things up too bad.

I hold that same view now, as I held it 8 years ago, and 8 years before that.

Hoping that someone screws everything up is pretty damn stupid.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I will say this, I think either one of them was only going to have a four year term. If Hillary had won, it would be just as ugly right now, just on the other side. So this ugliness was inevitable because the country is furiously divided. There are positives to this in spite of how repellant I find Trump. Trump supporters will have to take responsibility for their own economic condition. No one to blame, they have their guy so this is it, they have to own it, roll up their sleeves, stop blaming and get to work. Republicans have to deal with health care. If they make a mess, they have to own that too. Trump's people seem to have major hate for the environment and there is a price to pay for that as well. Oh and Paul Ryan and his dream of privatizing Medicare and Social Security? This is his chance. Let Trump supporters live with that one too. So yes, there are some positives for all of this. Plus we get the bonus of Alec Baldwin who has done an amazing job on SNL.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
With any president, Republican or Democrat.. My only hope is that they don't screw things up too bad.

I hold that same view now, as I held it 8 years ago, and 8 years before that.

Hoping that someone screws everything up is pretty damn stupid.
With every president since Bill Clinton, I have done extensive research about them before they took office. I have read about their past deeds and what people they have known through various stages of their lives have had to say about them. I have never been surprised by them once they took office. Past behavior is a very good indicator of future performance. Based on this, I expect Donald Trump's main focus in office to be to loot the public treasury and defraud the American people. I hope he's not successful.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Yes, I am feeling all giddy !

Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I think that Donald John Trump will either be a 'great' president, or he will be impeached. I doubt there will be anything in-between.

If he turns out to be a great president, then Republicans will, of course, do well in mid-term elections, and possibly 2020.

Of course, 'greatness' is a subjective term. If Mr. Trump can rein in spending and cut the national debt, and perhaps 're-set' our foreign policy with some countries, that will go a long way, in my mind, towards greatness.

I also look forward to his attempt to stop the transfer of jobs overseas (or to Mexico). I agree with the sentiment expressed elsewhere that the "Rust Belt" states broke for Mr. Trump because they believed that Hillary Rodham Clinton would have been 'more of the same', meaning, sturdy, middle class manufacturing jobs would continue to be lost.

Of course, I recognize that many of these jobs will be lost anyway (due to robotics, etc), but I feel that Mr. Trump will at least strive to stop the revolving door: American company builds factories in Mexico (China, etc), and then ships the cheaply made products back to USA to sell.

That reminds me: I must purchase a new TV set very soon. Perhaps this weekend. Before the price goes up.

Anyway, if the national debt balloons, inflation becomes rampant, recession returns, we become engaged in trade wars (see TV set), etc., then the Republicans will have a harder time come mid-terms.

It shall be interesting to see. If Democrats doing well in future equals Mr. Trump and our country doing badly, I will pull for Mr. Trump, every time. Country first, and party affiliation/loyalty down around number 18 or so.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Everyday is one day closer to 2018 so why not, plus the guy is like 100 and in bad shape.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I would say I'm cautiously optimistic and feeling hopeful.

And I'll add that I just gag seeing some of these threads where people are unequivocally stating how great the country is going to be when Trump isn't even in office yet. I'm not sure there is enough egg to go around for all the faces absolutely positive he's going to be great if it turns out he's not.

But I get it. I was excited eight years ago and over the moon that I was alive to see, and my children old enough to vote for, the first black president of our country.

If the last eight years taught me anything it's to curb my enthusiasm and wait to see what really takes place.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:50 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think the Trump presidency is going to do more to build a progressive future for America than a Clinton one would have in the long run. Trump is clearly an incompetent, corrupt buffoon who eeked across the finish line on the fumes of a movement that has seen it's best days. When your core demographic is white people over the age of 65, it's obvious you're not long for the world. We are in for a rough two years or so, but the future still belongs to those of us who want to see a more equitable, just America for all. I'm looking forward to the coming months -- hope you are too.
I am hopeful, especially since Trump is a complete novice and he's surrounding himself with social darwinist ideologues like Pence, Ryan and the Heritage Foundation and various Wall Street and big oil oligarchs.

This swamp bubble he's creating is so far removed from the core Trump voter in rural middle America, it is bound to cause a backlash of some sorts.

But we must make sure we have the guts to stand up and fight back for the workers as the plutocrats now in charge start the assault on the 99%. This requires organization on a mass scale.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I am hopeful, especially since Trump is a complete novice and he's surrounding himself with social darwinist ideologues like Pence, Ryan and the Heritage Foundation and various Wall Street and big oil oligarchs.

This swamp bubble he's creating is so far removed from the core Trump voter in rural middle America, it is bound to cause a backlash of some sorts.

But we must make sure we have the guts to stand up and fight back for the workers as the plutocrats now in charge start the assault on the 99%. This requires organization on a mass scale.
I'm all in. I am moving back to the States sometime this summer. I plan to get heavily involved with politics at all levels. Rallies, door knocking, making phone calls for candidates -- you name it, I'll be there. Local school board elections? Yep, I'll be voting and knocking on my neighbors' doors and making the case for who I think they should vote for too. If you leave politicking to the idiots, you end up with teajadists in congress and a reality tv star in the White House. I'm done with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies