Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There ya go. You directly said self-segregate due to race, not culture. I don't understand segregating based on race either. Culture? Yes.

I live in Alhambra just east of L.A. Been here several years.

It used to be a majority white upper middle class area. Asians have moved in and are now the vast majority. There has been huge white flight. And it's the kind Jade's article is talking about. But these whites aren't self-segregating based on race. It's due to culture. That is where the article becomes b.s. This has been going on all throughout the San Gabriel Valley.

Grocery stores, signs, and other public institutions are now mostly Chinese-centric and whites who have lived here for generations don't feel comfortable not speaking the language or learning the customs.

Give this a quick read...

In Alhambra, demographic shift reaches the grocery store - LA Times

I'm officially "mixed race" so why did I purposely move into this area since I'm not Chinese (I speak English and Spanish)?

Because people, including whites, don't self-segregate based on race but on culture.

And here is where I have to get a little dirty with ya GM.

I moved here because I know while certain aspects of the culture are not uniform with me (language, food, other customs) Asian culture is stronger than American White and definitely American Black culture in terms of two important things to me...

1. Crime
2. Education

American Whites are leaving Alhambra because they can still find great areas with low crime, good schools, etc where English language and their culture in terms of language, food, customs is still dominant.

Blacks don't have the opportunity to experience this because they've not formed large homogeneous upper middle class enclaves in the numbers or percentage of whites that other racial groups have expressed an interest in. The reasons for that get back to our old institutional racism impact that we argue about on this board daily.

In a nutshell, this article's premise is wrong. Whites are leaving because they have options where a great deal of their culture still exists. It has nothing to do with race. I'm huge on crime and education (because that impacts crime). And that's why as a non-Chinese mixed race American I moved here. These folks aren't going to let crime and foolishness overrun this area.
On the red, the majority of black people are middle class and live in the suburbs. There are middle class enclaves of black people in every major urban area of this country that has a black population greater than 15%. A majority of black people are not criminals and a majority of us also value education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the red, the majority of black people are middle class and live in the suburbs. There are middle class enclaves of black people in every major urban area of this country that has a black population greater than 15%. A majority of black people are not criminals and a majority of us also value education.
I don't know many black people. One of my brother's best friend in Marine Corps is a black man and he is living in GA. He owns a restaurant now.

My neighbor is a black man who has a white wife. They sent their sons (both of them) to west point Academy. They are my parents' friends. One of my best friend is a white/black mixed girl and her brother is a doctor, she herself is a model/designer. My future brother-in-law is a software engineer.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
We don't base our decision on what color people in the neighborhood are. We really don't care.

We base it on the school system, distance to work, amenities, and affordability first and foremost. After that we take into consideration how well we will fit into the area. We look for other middle class families who share similar interests to us since we will be co-existing with them. We wouldn't choose a neighborhood where everyone speaks a different language because we would have difficulty fitting in and it would make life much more uncomfortable.

If we can find a neighborhood of people our age who have kids our age, who share similar types of jobs and hobbies that we can relate to that is important to us as it gives us a sense of community. Color doesn't really matter (and shouldn't).

Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know many black people. One of my brother's best friend in Marine Corps is a black man and he is living in GA. He owns a restaurant now.

My neighbor is a black man who has a white wife. They sent their sons (both of them) to west point Academy. They are my parents' friends. One of my best friend is a white/black mixed girl and her brother is a doctor, she herself is a model/designer. My future brother-in-law is a software engineer.
At least you are honest about the above. But the black people you know are typical of 95% of black people in this country and hopefully you are aware of this and can see that most of the things that are spoken about in regards to "black culture" does not apply to real black people in rel life.

It is always amazing to me how someone can say that "black culture" is somehow negative or bad when they don't even know what black culture is or about the historical basis of "black culture." They also ignore that the dominant part of "black culture" is "American culture."

Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
At least you are honest about the above. But the black people you know are typical of 95% of black people in this country and hopefully you are aware of this and can see that most of the things that are spoken about in regards to "black culture" does not apply to real black people in rel life.

It is always amazing to me how someone can say that "black culture" is somehow negative or bad when they don't even know what black culture is or about the historical basis of "black culture." They also ignore that the dominant part of "black culture" is "American culture."
yep. On this, I asked my future brother-in-law about black culture. He said, "not much different from any other cultures." I think it makes sense.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We don't base our decision on what color people in the neighborhood are. We really don't care.

We base it on the school system, distance to work, amenities, and affordability first and foremost. After that we take into consideration how well we will fit into the area. We look for other middle class families who share similar interests to us since we will be co-existing with them. We wouldn't choose a neighborhood where everyone speaks a different language because we would have difficulty fitting in and it would make life much more uncomfortable.

If we can find a neighborhood of people our age who have kids our age, who share similar types of jobs and hobbies that we can relate to that is important to us as it gives us a sense of community. Color doesn't really matter (and shouldn't).
The bold is what drives the racial segregation.

Some people only think that they fit in well with people who are the same race as they are. I stated above that the dominant "culture" of black America is American culture, yet many whites, think that all black people, just by being black probably follow some sort of criminal, hip-hop culture and doesn't value education. Pervasive racial and cultural stereotypes cause people to feel they won't fit in well with people outside of their racial groups.

The language thing as well, the idea that most Latino Americans don't speak English or that someone who is Chinese American is a foreigner. Those biases based on someone else's appearance will cause someone to think they won't fit in a particular neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:04 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
The bold is what drives the racial segregation.

Some people only think that they fit in well with people who are the same race as they are. I stated above that the dominant "culture" of black America is American culture, yet many whites, think that all black people, just by being black probably follow some sort of criminal, hip-hop culture and doesn't value education. Pervasive racial and cultural stereotypes cause people to feel they won't fit in well with people outside of their racial groups.

The language thing as well, the idea that most Latino Americans don't speak English or that someone who is Chinese American is a foreigner. Those biases based on someone else's appearance will cause someone to think they won't fit in a particular neighborhood.

Actually, pointing out the bolded just means that people have a pre-conceived notion as to what people mean by fitting in. "Some" people may think that way, but that doesn't mean we all do.

As stated before we don't care what color you are or what ethnicity you are. If you're black, Asian, Hispanic, etc... we don't care. If the neighborhood is full of people who spend more time out in the yard practicing yoga, having tea parties, frown on people who have weekend cookouts with their friends that run past 8pm on a Saturday, frown on me changing the oil in my driveway, etc... then we do care because those aren't people we would fit in with. We play baseball, football, love college football, like to visit with our neighbors, etc... We look for areas where people like the same sorts of things because we can then relate to them and can participate in that small "community" of people.

As for language barriers.... those are real barriers. It is easy to figure out if potential neighbors speak our language (we scout the areas and meet potential neighbors before making an offer on a house). If they don't speak English that is a problem for us as we can't speak any other language. It creates an obstacle that we have to try to figure out how to overcome. We don't make that assumption based on what they look like, and I'd venture to say there are many who don't.

I think more people make the assumption that people want to racially segregate than not simply because it is the easiest explanation to come up with. That doesn't validate it in all instances though.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Really? Does money have anything to do with what I can and can't do?
Money does have alot to do with it.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Until higher crime stops following black migration patterns, the races will self-segregate.

There is really not need for further discussion on the matter, as it isn't any more or less complex than this. It doesn't matter, in the least, that 'most' black people aren't criminals.

What matters is the the relative increase in crime rates that often follow black migration.

There is also a real cultural matter involved as, no matter how anyone wishes to delude themselves to make themselves feel better, black and white culture are not the same. A lot of the time, it isn't anything that anyone can qualify more than to note differing communication habits, behavioral patterns, and values. It matters in terms of maintaining community trust and cohesion. Community cohesion that combats isolation may exist in a mixed neighborhood, but it is almost invariably going to exist to a greater degree in a homogeneous neighborhood.

The more relevant question to ask is why non-whites feel such a strong impulse to live among whites. I hold any economic reasoning to be invalid, as minorities can build their own community wealth as well as create their own racial tension free culture. In fact, some minorities, such as Jews, self segregate from non-Jewish whites. Why is that? What is the difference between these minority groups that some invariably move toward integrating with Whites and other move toward segregating themselves from Whites? What are the benefits and penalties that each group perceives, and why does one group perceive a benefit while the other perceives a penalty? Last, what do the possible answers to these questions say about a possibly truer reason for self-segregation and self-desegregation?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
No.

Show me a city where Blacks make up a majority of the population (not just greater than your arbitrary 15%) that is also at or below the UCR's national crime average.

Then show me what percentage of these cities make up majority black cities.

I'll patiently wait for the answer. Or if you like I can do it for you since it's what I got 2 degrees in and have done for a living the last 20+ years in some variation.

~ Toodles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies