Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All of those except the one in LA are either cities/towns or counties and have school systems and crime statistics you can check out lol.

Again, most black people live in the burbs. All of the ones I posted have low crime and good schools. Again, it is hilarious to me that you would think that just because a place is majority black that it is criminal hell hole with horrible schools. Reeks of a lot of bias and racist ideas.
No.

A large percentage of predominantly black districts (as defined by school zones and policing zones) are higher than average crime and lower than average schools.

This is just a fact. I can't help you on this. I grew up in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But the Asians in L.A. are setting up their own areas and enforcing their culture on all who live there.

Fine by me. Give me that low crime, great schools, and politeness that many predominantly white and moreso predominately black areas can't do.

And my feeling is, just from experience, that this is a temporary/generational thing based on their culture. The elders want their culture enforced and respect for elders is very important to them.

Again, sign me up!

But the younger gen/the kids are Americanized. When I need help communicating they throw me a bone. Their emphasis on education (something predominately white and especially predominately black areas can't touch) will keep their areas safe and assimilated enough for anyone who likes the area to get along in.
You really are way to wrapped up into racial bias.

I've lived around blacks, whites, Asians, and hispanics and none in this country are "better" than the others just based on their ethnicity/race. Main differences are with class and regardless of ethnicity/race, if someone is upper class they have a decent neighborhood.

I've never had "white culture" enforced upon me lol. If it is your contention that Asians do this, then you must concede that whites do it as well.

We are all Americans and blacks and whites are the most alike of all Americans.

On your comments about Asian culture, I worked with lots of Asian immigrants in Atlanta as well, which is considered an "Asian Mecca" primarily with a large Korean population in senior public housing (aka - the projects). A lot of the 30-50 year old immigrants, when they move to America, they will abandon their parents "on paper" so that those elderly parents can get government benefits without ever having had to work in this country. They get all sorts of freebies and they abuse the system a great deal way more than the black residents did, who actually were born in this country and worked their entire lives. We had a negligible Latino population as they just didn't put their seniors in public housing. Wonder what you think about that cultural attribute of theirs? Lots of people overlook the negatives of certain groups but highlight those of other groups based on their own internal racial biases. It is very common in this country

Old 01-20-2017, 01:51 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
I think folks move to where they are most comfortable. People tend to associate with those they have most in common. This is only natural. People also want to live where they feel safe and feel they won't have problems.
Although I am white I wouldn't want to live in a majority Russian neighborhood. I have nothing other than skin tone in common with them.
I live in the country, I grew upon the country and this is where I am comfortable. My nearest neighbor is 100 yards away from my house. We all look out for each other. No need for bars on our windows, or multiple locks on our doors. I leave my vehicles unlocked as well as my house. I like that I don't need to worry about break ins or thugs selling drugs in front of my house. If this makes me an evil racist I am good with that.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He always uses Cedar Hill

Ask him to come up with 3 cities. Much harder.
You know, it's a pretty straight forward stat.

If the posters I'm battling weren't so defensive about it I would mention that these areas are also the ones that suffered the harshest effects of institutional racism post civil rights to the 1990s.

But it would just be an excuse to play the victim card until the end of the world.

If I ever get a great job offer in Dallas and those stats still meet my criteria I'll move to Cedar Hill. green mariner and I will get an apartment.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Did you even read the study? Well clearly not. If a black person post a thread about white behavior it is obviously "reverse racism."
No such thing as reverse racism.

Racism is racism, plain and simple.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
No.

A large percentage of predominantly black districts (as defined by school zones and policing zones) are higher than average crime and lower than average schools.

This is just a fact. I can't help you on this. I grew up in one.
So you won't even look at the ones that I linked that you asked for....

Interesting. You insinuated that a majority of black people lived in "black districts" with high crime and bad schools. That actually is not the case because most black people don't live in poor, inner city communities, that do admittedly have those issues. Placing a judgment on all black people based on the minority of black people doesn't make any sense. If you worked in criminal justice, it makes sense you would focus on criminally prone areas, so you just don't know about those black areas that are not prone to criminality and poor schools it seems.

I grew up with a lot of poor white trashy types of white people. The types who got drunk and beat up their wives and kids outside in broad daylight. The kinds who made their backyards junkyards with old cars and 5 different types of hot tubs that were all broken lol. The kinds who were on drugs so tough they didn't feed their kids and my grandmother had to bring those kids to our house and feed them and give them clothes to wear in the winter because they'd have on shorts and flip flops and such.

They also had very high drop out rates (unfortunately in my old neighborhood they still do).

Regardless though of my experiences with poor white, ghetto people, I don't think that all neighborhoods of white people are like that or that all white people in general are horrible, drunken messes.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You really are way to wrapped up into racial bias.

I've lived around blacks, whites, Asians, and hispanics and none in this country are "better" than the others just based on their ethnicity/race. Main differences are with class and regardless of ethnicity/race, if someone is upper class they have a decent neighborhood.

I've never had "white culture" enforced upon me lol. If it is your contention that Asians do this, then you must concede that whites do it as well.

We are all Americans and blacks and whites are the most alike of all Americans.

On your comments about Asian culture, I worked with lots of Asian immigrants in Atlanta as well, which is considered an "Asian Mecca" primarily with a large Korean population in senior public housing (aka - the projects). A lot of the 30-50 year old immigrants, when they move to America, they will abandon their parents "on paper" so that those elderly parents can get government benefits without ever having had to work in this country. They get all sorts of freebies and they abuse the system a great deal way more than the black residents did, who actually were born in this country and worked their entire lives. We had a negligible Latino population as they just didn't put their seniors in public housing. Wonder what you think about that cultural attribute of theirs? Lots of people overlook the negatives of certain groups but highlight those of other groups based on their own internal racial biases. It is very common in this country
You're asking me to ignore statistical realities.

African American culture is part of American culture.

We don't have a large population of recent black African immigrants in this country. The ones that do come here avoid 2nd generation and older African Americans like the plague.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You know, it's a pretty straight forward stat.

If the posters I'm battling weren't so defensive about it I would mention that these areas are also the ones that suffered the harshest effects of institutional racism post civil rights to the 1990s.

But it would just be an excuse to play the victim card until the end of the world.

If I ever get a great job offer in Dallas and those stats still meet my criteria I'll move to Cedar Hill. green mariner and I will get an apartment.
Didn't think we were "battling" lol, just having a conversation on the forum.

But since you bring that up, can you at least admit that there are black middle class neighborhoods all over the country that do not suffer with bad crime and poor schools? Starting in the 1980s black people started leaving the inner city in droves, those who were working to middle class. My own grandparents left the inner city and built a house in an all-black subdivision when I was a teenager. Institutional racism did have a hand in inner city communities that blacks live in today; however, a majority of blacks do not live in those communities and so the ills that you are placing on all predominantly black "enclaves" (which includes neighborhoods and suburban cities/towns) are not warranted.

Also that white people don't move to those areas primarily because they feel like they won't "fit in" and not because of some arbitrary statistics that are not reflected in those communities.

That is the point I'm trying to get across to you in our conversation, not battle. I save my battling for the real world lol.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So you won't even look at the ones that I linked that you asked for....

Interesting. You insinuated that a majority of black people lived in "black districts" with high crime and bad schools. That actually is not the case because most black people don't live in poor, inner city communities, that do admittedly have those issues. Placing a judgment on all black people based on the minority of black people doesn't make any sense. If you worked in criminal justice, it makes sense you would focus on criminally prone areas, so you just don't know about those black areas that are not prone to criminality and poor schools it seems.

I grew up with a lot of poor white trashy types of white people. The types who got drunk and beat up their wives and kids outside in broad daylight. The kinds who made their backyards junkyards with old cars and 5 different types of hot tubs that were all broken lol. The kinds who were on drugs so tough they didn't feed their kids and my grandmother had to bring those kids to our house and feed them and give them clothes to wear in the winter because they'd have on shorts and flip flops and such.

They also had very high drop out rates (unfortunately in my old neighborhood they still do).

Regardless though of my experiences with poor white, ghetto people, I don't think that all neighborhoods of white people are like that or that all white people in general are horrible, drunken messes.
Percentage wise!!!!!!!

If a school/policing district is majority black that district is much more likely to have a higher crime rate via the UCR and poorer than average schools than majority other race districts.

I can't say it any clearer. It isn't an opinion. It's a fact. There's nothing either of us can do about it.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You're asking me to ignore statistical realities.

African American culture is part of American culture.

We don't have a large population of recent black African immigrants in this country. The ones that do come here avoid 2nd generation and older African Americans like the plague.
So is it your contention that black culture (I'm not African so don't call myself an African American) in this country is "worse" than that of whites, even though we have the same culture - American culture, predominantly.

What to you is "black culture?"

I doubt you know of any attributes of "black culture" which is actually a sub-culture of the dominant American culture.

ETA: I am black and have quite a few family members who have married an African immigrant and who have children. They do not avoid us "like the plague." Most African immigrants I've known and met and worked with, we have had very interesting conversations about race in America and they have their biases against American blacks and American whites amongst others, just like all people. Most of the African immigrants I know from various countries, honestly don't like other Africans and speak more negatively about them than black Americans lol. But they may have just been nice and not talked to me about myself. I am not one of those ignorant people either who doesn't know about my own culture and history as a demographic in this country and most of the Africans I speak to, when we have these discussions, we have a great talk because I like to learn about their own and I share a lot of things with them that they don't know about black America being that they, like many white and other non-black Americans, only know about us via media and not via real life relationships.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-20-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies