Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Electoral college
We should keep it 115 77.18%
We should get rid of it 34 22.82%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times

Advertisements

If you want by proportion then do it by county not total state populace. LOL lots of red counties in those blue states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Practically untrue. A tight win indicates the country as a whole does not support your policies in any great way. A popular vote loss indicates even less support. That says legislators who wish to be reelected need to consider how much support to give the holder of the office.

I would think Trump will have a difficult time with virtually any policy issue. And any that requires legislation is likely doomed. The ability of the Senate Democrats to block without fear is given much support by the popular vote loss. Trump will have problems with both the Republicans and the Democrats. Over the next years we will see how good a deal maker he really is...

The country is divided . Nothing you can come up with except child abuse is bad will be agreed upon by all. Therefore, needing a mandate is pointless. Nobody gets a mandate anymore .

Obama won reelection with 51% of the vote.

The winner rules, without needing to consider the wishes of the losers any further than needed to make deals. The losers agenda is moot . They lost . By how much they lost is irrelevant .

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
I don't the largest population centers to determine the outcome of the election. The electoral college provides a balance because urban areas leans liberal and rural areas leans conservative. With that in mind, California and New York votes Democratic while Texas and other states like Nebraska and Kansas vote Republican.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If you want by proportion then do it by county not total state populace. LOL lots of red counties in those blue states.
In Nevada, the counties of Reno and Las Vegas votes blue. All the other counties votes red.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,554 times
I used to be in favor of dumping it. Then I found out without it NY and CA can decide the elections. Don't want that, what a mess we would be in. Keep it!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
I'm a moderate democrat, I voted Clinton and even I think we should keep it. It did its job here, we democrats just don't like the outcome and the fact that it did its job to elect a seemingly loony man.

That being said, if/when the day ever comes when the majority get really crazy, I really want the minority to have fair balance to have their voices heard. Also, someday the electoral college system might one day work to the benefits of us democrats. I suspect that we won't be so critical of it then.

Keep it.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
In Nevada, the counties of Reno and Las Vegas votes blue. All the other counties votes red.
Nah. Clark votes blue. Reno is purple. The years long conspiracy in NV has been the rest against Clark. And Reno et al has been on the conspiracy side. I am trying to move Carson City (The State Capital) to Clark County. The rest of the state chose their side..now we should return the favor.

Carson City as a state park...

Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,646 times
i imagine that if each party was allowed to have only one elector for each state it would be endless Republican administrations for all eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies