Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times

Advertisements

Some parents of students at a southern Indiana school district are upset after the school assigned a worksheet about Sharia law portraying it in a positive light, the Courier-Journal reports.

The worksheet was assigned to seventh-grade students at Highland Hills Middle School. Students were asked to read a passage about a 20-year-old woman who feels "very fortunate" to live under Sharia law in Saudi Arabia. The passage describes her marriage to a man who already has one wife, and it describes her modest dress.

Why is this garbage in our schools polluting our youth's minds?

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heet/21658702/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
separation of church and state, anyone?

I guess it is not okay for a teacher assistance to display her bible verse for HERSELF to see, but it is okay to teach the Sharia law to the entire class.

I wonder why some are saying there are double standards when it comes to religion.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I guess it is not okay for a teacher assistance to display her bible verse for HERSELF to see, but it is okay to teach the Sharia law to the entire class.

I wonder why some are saying there are double standards when it comes to religion.
Well according to a recent poll. Christians are the number one persecuted religion in the world. Now what I do not understand is separating church and state but this doesn't apply to islam???

How can they assign this for homework? Well , I am assuming that someone that signed that curriculum is a marxist that is trying to pollute the youths mind's with the the seed of islam.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
The worksheet was developed 20 years ago by a Christian educator intended to engage students in critical thinking. The passage depicts a fictional character sharing her perspective on attire and polygamy. Gawd forbid students look at a culture/ situation/ problem from different perspectives.

Where is the entire worksheet? Why is one passage being singled out?

Here is a more in depth report on the topic:

Worksheet on 'Sharia law' irks school parents

Seems to me some would prefer to provide students with broad brushes to paint a sunpbstantial part of the global population.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The worksheet was developed 20 years ago by a Christian educator intended to engage students in critical thinking. The passage depicts a fictional character sharing her perspective on attire and polygamy. Gawd forbid students look at a culture/ situation/ problem from different perspectives.

Where is the entire worksheet? Why is one passage being singled out?

Here is a more in depth report on the topic:

Worksheet on 'Sharia law' irks school parents

Seems to me some would prefer to provide students with broad brushes to paint a sunpbstantial part of the global population.
No.

You don't teach children anything about religion in a public school. Positive or negative. You let children develop their own interests in religion. Remember?

Funny that you said the teacher's assistance cannot display bibles verse in public school because she is a government employee in another thread. LOL haha

Matter of fact, I am not offended by either the bible verse or work assignment of sharia law. But when you use disgusting double standard, yeah, that is when I have a problem

Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 AM

46 posts, read 39,151 times
It's clearly a clever underhanded plot by evil right wing Christians to drive everyone into the welcoming arms of the Westboro Baptist Trump camp.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

How is it possible to have a discussion about culture and history without talking about religion?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How is it possible to have a discussion about culture and history without talking about religion?
That is not my point.

I said, I have no problems with this. (discussing religion that is) But, Displaying bible verse by a teacher's assistance is not okay. I have the same question you do.

There is a double standard when it comes to religion.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Some parents of students at a southern Indiana school district are upset after the school assigned a worksheet about Sharia law portraying it in a positive light, the Courier-Journal reports.

The worksheet was assigned to seventh-grade students at Highland Hills Middle School. Students were asked to read a passage about a 20-year-old woman who feels "very fortunate" to live under Sharia law in Saudi Arabia. The passage describes her marriage to a man who already has one wife, and it describes her modest dress.

Why is this garbage in our schools polluting our youth's minds?

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heet/21658702/
I would think it depends on the purpose the teacher had in the document. Was teacher intending ot to be showing the students that some people have different perspectives, and perhaps they are lucky to live where they do not have to "be happy" with an oppressive religion-based government system?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Well according to a recent poll. Christians are the number one persecuted religion in the world. Now what I do not understand is separating church and state but this doesn't apply to islam???

How can they assign this for homework? Well , I am assuming that someone that signed that curriculum is a marxist that is trying to pollute the youths mind's with the the seed of islam.
The Center for Studies on New Religions based in Italy Did a study that concluded in part, 90,000 Christians were killed in 2016. 30% of them killed by radical Islamists.

Who murdered the 70%?

Some media chose to tag this with a headline " Christians Most Persecuted......"

The actual report, including the methodology of the study, has not been published.

The actual worksheet was created by a Christian educator 20 years ago, intended to engage students in critical thinking and discussion, nothing more or less.

I would love the opportunity to see the entire worksheet, not just a single passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies