Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
LOl, really?

There is no chaos, you clearly don't know what a riot really is. People in the USA don't riot , a very small percentage burn some trash cans and break some glass.

the media is running the same few trash cans, the same few windows etc. I have seen the same trash burning all day, that is nothing like a riot it is a few people out of hand...

Consider this, MOST of the people of this nation did not want Trump, and many of those who voted for him did so holding their noses.

Trump does not have a mandate , yet he is talking and acting as if he has the overwhelming majority behind him.

Yeah, sure I get that compared to other places in the world our so called riots are pretty wimpy, but then again, people are calling Trump "literally Hitler" so there's enough hyperbole to go around.

Agreed on him being a new president with the low approval ratings. I do know a few who did hold their nose and vote for him... ug, I couldn't do it.

He has a very narrow window to prove himself and prove a lot of people wrong. He gives the impression of a bull in a china shop, so I'm not holding my breath. In 2 years if the Pubs ruin everything, they'll lose the senate and the house and he'll unlikely be reelected. So we'll see what happens.

Back to the topic, again, the consensus here in this thread eans to the man himself rather than anything else as being the source of extreme angst. My Bernie supporting son says it's his policies and cabinet members that he's most concerned about, and my best friend was out marching today and her issues were over Obamacare and Planned Parenthood. Of course the people I know in real life are peaceful dissenters not screamers or anything.

Well anyway, thanks for participating, it's always interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
It's definitely not that he's Republican; I was born under Gerald Ford and lived through Reagan and both Bushes. Trump isn't a "Republican" and doesn't follow any form of decorum or precedent, from what he's demonstrated so far. All of his actions thus far have been 100% ego-driven, and if something (i.e. laws) or someone gets in his way, he seeks to eliminate them. Nearly all of his cabinet picks for departments have been nominees who are antimatter to (seek to destroy) their respective departments. If we didn't have the proper safeguards intact with checks and balances already, we'd be fast under a dictatorship.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Are the protests and melt downs due to Trump's crass personality or him being a Republican? Both?

I'm curious what is behind all the hysterical reactions since Nov. 8th.

Cruz seems way more "conservative"... would there be demonstrations against him if he were elected President? Would the "not my president" crowd be just as emotional or more accepting?

Just wondering, thanks!
Neither. It's the very fact that they got smacked down hard after years of their arrogance. They had no clue that they were going to be smacked around like that on November 8th. They have egg on their face...they are EMBARRASSED. THAT is why they are throwing tantrums.

And it's why I find it all extremely amusing.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 AM

764 posts, read 597,193 times
This is what bothers me. The right wing during Obamas Presidency was just so simple minded. They'd see one line in a speech and couldn't grasp the bigger picture. They couldn't grasp the thoughts he presented in the "America is not just a Christian nation" speech. They couldn't grasp his talks on American exceptionalism. They couldn't grasp his stance on how flag pins had become a hollow gesture.

...and this is what truly bothers me about Trump. He represents that simple minded mindset. It's bad enough to know that so many have such a simple, dumb way of looking at things. But if I didn't want to have to hear it, I could just avoid the news and political sites. It's kind of why I stopped coming here in 2013. It was bad enough to sit around on Thanksgiving and just have to stare at my food as the extended family who seemed so logical and decent turn around parrot this simple minded drivel, but I knew in like an hour it'd be over. I knew that as disappointed as I was with Obama, he was a logical human being who could actually come up with a complex viewpoint on an event or problem.

To now know there's someone in office who is like these people (other than being a decent human like I think my family members are), its both scary and depressing. It's also deflating to see this simple minded brick wall bull**** the right played for eight years actually ended up paying off. They shouldn't be rewarded for being so vindictive. It was bad enough in 2009 to have to sit there and watch as Obama was spineless and just constantly conceded to a party with no credibility and almost half the political power and see these chances slip away. Then to see a moderate get the nomination from Sanders because she was the sure thing, and then turn around and lose despite getting more of actual vote. It's a perfect storm of circumstances that elicits the outrage you see. We had to watch moderates not get the job done all the while the right wing was convincing the center that the lefts ideas were the ones failing, when they weren't being tested.

It's just a perfect storm of circumstance to elicits the outrage you see.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I think Hillary just made the mistake of trusting Americans to be better people than they are...
Yep, it's the voters' fault that Saint Hillary lost. Surely it couldn't be her own fault for running such a shtty campaign that she lost to someone like Donald Trump.

I wonder if the outcome had anything to do with voters getting tired of being told they must do the left's bidding if they want to be "better" people.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
This is what bothers me. The right wing during Obamas Presidency was just so simple minded. They'd see one line in a speech and couldn't grasp the bigger picture. They couldn't grasp the thoughts he presented in the "America is not just a Christian nation" speech. They couldn't grasp his talks on American exceptionalism. They couldn't grasp his stance on how flag pins had become a hollow gesture.

...and this is what truly bothers me about Trump. He represents that simple minded mindset. It's bad enough to know that so many have such a simple, dumb way of looking at things. But if I didn't want to have to hear it, I could just avoid the news and political sites. It's kind of why I stopped coming here in 2013. It was bad enough to sit around on Thanksgiving and just have to stare at my food as the extended family who seemed so logical and decent turn around parrot this simple minded drivel, but I knew in like an hour it'd be over. I knew that as disappointed as I was with Obama, he was a logical human being who could actually come up with a complex viewpoint on an event or problem.

To now know there's someone in office who is like these people (other than being a decent human like I think my family members are), its both scary and depressing. It's also deflating to see this simple minded brick wall bull**** the right played for eight years actually ended up paying off. They shouldn't be rewarded for being so vindictive. It was bad enough in 2009 to have to sit there and watch as Obama was spineless and just constantly conceded to a party with no credibility and almost half the political power and see these chances slip away. Then to see a moderate get the nomination from Sanders because she was the sure thing, and then turn around and lose despite getting more of actual vote. It's a perfect storm of circumstances that elicits the outrage you see. We had to watch moderates not get the job done all the while the right wing was convincing the center that the lefts ideas were the ones failing, when they weren't being tested.

It's just a perfect storm of circumstance to elicits the outrage you see.
Very well stated, and very valid points.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
A Republican. Whoever the republican is, they would claim they are homophobic, sexist, and racist.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Are the protests and melt downs due to Trump's crass personality or him being a Republican? Both?

I'm curious what is behind all the hysterical reactions since Nov. 8th.

Cruz seems way more "conservative"... would there be demonstrations against him if he were elected President? Would the "not my president" crowd be just as emotional or more accepting?

Just wondering, thanks!
If you get the news about the town hall in Utah. They were ticked off republicans... no longer a left thing, sorry

Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
If as a republican you aren't pissed off about Donald Trump I would call you a Republican In Name Only.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
The trumpetes can keep pointing fingers, but many wise republicans and independents Are beginning to realize, the man and his crew did not change and settle down to real business. I want to know how many millions it cost the tax payers for his messes. Every day the story changes@like a tennis match, I'm dizzy- now let's see what Gen. Flynn did with Russia??? Everyday a new drama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies