Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 715,031 times

Advertisements

Trump's amazing inaguration speech was not the usual 'pat myself on the back' speech - it set a tone, a direction, and a new doctrine.

We know the slogan "America First" - but now it's more than a slogan, it is America's new doctrine but foeign and domestic. He transformed into such with the following words:
"We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world, but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first.

We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example"

- President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

This should make both the right and the left happy. It hearkens back to the Monroe Doctrine where we "mind out own business in our own hemisphere". Unless it benefits America and doesn't infringe upon another sovereign states right to pursue it's own interests, we should not be involved.

I greatly look forward to seeing this doctrine govern our foreign and domestic policies going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 PM

45,705 posts, read 27,308,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
Trump's amazing inaguration speech was not the usual 'pat myself on the back' speech - it set a tone, a direction, and a new doctrine.

We know the slogan "America First" - but now it's more than a slogan, it is America's new doctrine but foeign and domestic. He transformed into such with the following words:
"We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world, but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first.

We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example"

This should make both the right and the left happy. It hearkens back to the Monroe Doctrine where we "mind out own business in our own hemisphere". Unless it benefits America and doesn't infringe upon another sovereign states right to pursue it's own interests, we should not be involved.

I greatly look forward to seeing this doctrine govern our foreign and domestic policies going forward.
C'mon... you know better than that... Chris Matthews is already claiming the speech to be Hitlerian.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
C'mon... you know better than that... Chris Matthews is already claiming the speech to be Hitlerian.
Chris who? Is that "tingles" or the other nut?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM

media is going to focus on the superficial "OMG he dissed the establishment!" while completely ignoring the incredible important tone and trajectory of our new government. . . of course everyone here will too. Guess I should have taken this discussion to my other more intellectual community...

Old 01-20-2017, 12:35 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:
media is going to focus on the superficial "OMG he dissed the establishment!" while completely ignoring the incredible important tone and trajectory of our new government. . . of course everyone here will too. Guess I should have taken this discussion to my other more intellectual community...
Let me know if you find one of those...it's definitely not here.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
There were many differences between Obama's speech and Trumps, obviously. But perhaps the biggest...Trump speaks to Americans, says "we" throughout the speech. Everything about Obama is an "I" or "me". Trump speaks of the greatness of America-Obama apologizes for America. Leadership vs....shame.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Let me know if you find one of those...it's definitely not here.
lol, yeah... they're out there. C-D is just a brainless time-sink . . .

Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,433,258 times
Boys, boys, boys (and girls).....Democrats ARE the establishment.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM

so, yeah, I'm looking forward to a new era when we arent engaged in conflicts across the globe and focused on keeping the bad guys OUT of our country...

Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,923,072 times
Quote:

No sure where you see the Monroe Doctrine in this mess of a speech? The Monroe Doctrine was a very outward expansion vision by country with optimism for the future. Trump is advocating an isolationist, ********* get off my lawn kind of doctrine.

Also the "Rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation" line sounds familiar.... wonder where he lifted that from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies