Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Kinda silly, that.
If the people around me are choking and gagging, there is no reason for me to take a bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrady11 View Post
They might be choking and gagging but until I take a bite for myself I'll never know if it's just a matter of personal taste that makes them choke and gag. If I make decisions based on what others like, I'll never learn for myself.
Well Honey, I don't have to taste a cow patty, to know it ain't no chicken pot pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
For eight years (plus the months of the initial campaign - from roughly the moment my industrialist uncle strode out of a party, saying over his shoulder, "And heaven forbid you should call one 'articulate'!"), I managed to change channels, hit 'Mute', turn off televisions and radios, walk out of rooms, put on headphones, and AVOID listening to Obama. Today, hopefully, was the last time my finger had to hit the remote, where he's concerned.

I detested BabyBush, and instantly recognized Obama as being virtually the same person. Too, my mom (whom I hated) was a cigarette-smoking druggie. So, Obama's reported smoking habit, plus his reported druggie days as a youth in Hawaii, were all I needed to know. Cig Fiends and Druggies are not people for whom I have any use. BabyBush also had my unqualified disapproval, from day one, thanks to his (and Laura's) reported history of substance use.

The moment the '08 election results became a sure thing, I began to position myself to gain from the inevitable financial slump. And I moved operations overseas (who didn't?) The 'downturn' I bet on, turned into full-fledged DEPRESSION, which basically put my strategy on steroids. I did well. I saw a string of years when our net worth was doubling annually - even despite (temporary) devaluations of some holdings. For that, I'm grateful. Thanks, 'O'!

Listening to Barbara Bush's Brat used to make me so angry, I'd injure myself, hitting things. I figured I'd give my fists, and my blood pressure, a break. So, for the first four years of the Obama Presidency, I avoided listening to him. Then, for four MORE years, I avoided. It became reflexive.

Today was the first time, ever,that I've watched any of the beginning of any presidency. This is the first time within my memory, that we've had a President of whom I could be proud - whose advent made me happy. Today, crying with JOY, that America, and the WORLD, has been given another chance - a chance none of us even considered possible - that there actually is a future - that our nation will not be destroyed (and, let's face it, destruction's been the intent of "our leaders", over the last 24 years) - that Western Civilization (and the planet) may possibly continue to live, rather than face what we had assumed to be inevitable rapid extinction, I realized that I'd actually managed to avoid hearing anything more than a few of Obama's words.

Am I the only one?
I tried to miss as much as I could, but my remote channel changer is so slow, I sometimes caught a sentence or two or occasionally would see him stick his elite nose up in the air.

Last edited by Southern man; 01-22-2017 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies