Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm a little worried about this idea...or fantasy.

How many of them have the job skills or work ethic to do the jobs he has in mind? Can you just cold turkey people off assistance onto 7:30-4:00 Monday thru Friday with some OT thrown in?

I remember Univac in St Paul tried to force this issue back in the 70's by building a computer factory in St Paul in the 'hood and only hiring locals. Sick calls, theft and lawsuits forced them to close the place within a few years. Those were really good jobs and they just weren't interested.

So I'm worried about this idea.
Working WAS a requirement under the bill Newt got Clinton to sign the Welfare Reform bill.

Obama, with an Executive Order, rescinded that requirement.

"Can you just cold turkey people off assistance onto 7:30-4:00 Monday thru Friday with some OT thrown in?"

Instead of asking and being "worried" about it, why don't you look it up?

"So I'm worried about this idea"

Why? What do you have AGAINST people working for their subsistence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Working WAS a requirement under the bill Newt got Clinton to sign the Welfare Reform bill.

Obama, with an Executive Order, rescinded that requirement.

"Can you just cold turkey people off assistance onto 7:30-4:00 Monday thru Friday with some OT thrown in?"

Instead of asking and being "worried" about it, why don't you look it up?

"So I'm worried about this idea"

Why? What do you have AGAINST people working for their subsistence?
I have nothing against people working for a living. All I'm saying is are they up to it and can anyone make a profit hiring them?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. It's interesting the way this discussion has gone because the rationale of Trump supporters has been that the Rust Belt and Appalachia were ignored, unemployed, hopeless with opioid problems. And that area is where the highest disability claims are so it's consistent. But they also claim Blue states are the takers, when in fact coastal economies are doing extremely well. Welfare has been decreasing for decades and is state based anyway. So where is the focus and where should it be? If Trump supporters are really concerned about federal tax dollars, they should be focused on red states and disability claims which are federal tax dollars.
SSDI is federal, SSI is state and federal. No, you will not receive SSDI for diabetes unless severe damage has been done. No, you will never receive SSDI for high blood pressure. One has to acquire a work history and pay into SS in order to receive SSDI. What many may not realize is many folks are getting older sicker and move from other states into WV after receiving SSDI and or retire because the cost of living is low. One could purchase a trailer and a acre of land less than $20,000 or even $10,000 depending where in WV.

Last edited by jmking; 01-21-2017 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 06:48 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Then you should be far, far more concerned about corporate welfare, which costs the average American taxpayer orders of magnitude more than social programs for the poor.

Bailouts, subsidies, incentives, tax breaks for corporations already reaping billions in profits are far more of a drain on the economy than, say, food stamps.

By corporate welfare, do you mean things like a government run healthcare program that taxpayers fund instead of employers?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Bingo.

I watched it happening when I was growing up. Food stamps and welfare tapered off and in came the disability fraud.

Somehow I doubt we're going to see Trump attack those rural whites who are defrauding the system.

After 2 years on Social Security Disability, they go on Medicare. The rest of us have to wait until age 65 to qualify for Medicare. They don't have to worry about ACA being repealed because they are already on single payer Medicare.

Obama had created a task force that was investigating Social Security Disability fraud. It discovered fraudulent MDs and fraudulent disabled people milking the system. Doctors were prosecuted and the people were rechecked and many kicked off SSD. It was an expanding investigation/task force and was only present in half the states-with plans to expand to all the states to catch fraud SSD.

Hopefully Trump steps it up with stamping out SSD fraud and doesn't defund it when he does massive program cuts. It needs money and government workers in order to fix the 'SSD used as welfare' issue. The SSD Fraud task force needs government reviewers/admin people to do lots of work even if they hire outside investigators. They have to be careful to not kick off real disabled people and only catch the frauds. If the money is cut to this program, then more fraud will come forth.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:57 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It would be really interesting to see who is getting the welfare in those red states.

Red has nothing to do with it...

https://www.amren.com/features/2015/...n-it-whos-not/

Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
By corporate welfare, do you mean things like ..?

Things like paying farmers subsidies (free money sent to them from the US government) to not plant crops.

And taxpayers paying millions of dollars for sports stadiums (NFL/MLB) so professional sports teams can play there and continue to pay their players millions of dollars and rake in advertising money and merchandising fees, while taxpayers pay for the stadiums with higher taxes, sometimes over a 20 year period.

And federal sugar subsidies that benefit US Sugar growers which consist of families that are multi-billionaires.

And soon to be "Trump tariffs" on goods produced outside the USA. These tariffs are corporate welfare so that US factories can overpay their workers, off the backs of other Americans paying 35% higher prices on things they bought.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
I am for making able-bodied welfare recipients do the jobs illegals are doing. Replace deported illegals with welfare workers. I am fine with adding food stamps or health care help if they need the extra leg up as long as they are working and bringing the work ethic back into their lives..
Somehow, illegals work these jobs and not only support themselves, but have extra money to send back to their families as remittances.

Also, somehow?? implement mandatory birth control -- and stop rewarding people who can't support children with more and more handouts.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am all for putting as many of them as possible to work, so they can become productive, proud citizens of this fine nation.

rem them includes many vets

Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I had no idea how bad it was. That link has the graphs. As welfare went down, disability went up. Who knew it was even possible to collect disability for high blood pressure. They interviewed a doctor who asked patients first - what was their level of education. If they didn't have advanced education, the doctor was more likely to recommend disability for them. Disability has replaced welfare, the difference is, welfare is state based and disability is federal. Further - disability is typically permanent and that person on disability also qualifies for Medicare.
With disability sky rocketing, that fund is going to disappear. This also implies that the workplace has become more dangerous over the last. 40 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies