Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree!

Do you think gays want marriage in a Church or a civil ceremony?
Religious gay people would probably prefer a church while non religious gays might want to be married in a pretty church or in another type of venue. You know, just like they were "normal" people.

I'm just amazed this is still an issue. God made gay people gay. I'm not going to argue with God on that. I'll just accept His wisdom on that decision. If I turned away a gay person because they were gay, He probably wouldn't be happy with my decision.

I'm seeing more and more Christians saying the same thing. In time, it will be the majority. Slowly but surely, as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
They are furious at Trump for not making LGBT rights a top priority but what other special things do they need?
We have a so-called "religious freedom" bill in our state right now. What we need is for people to stop using religion as an excuse to discriminate against people. In Texas there was a court case that basically asked to treat same sex married marriages as less than "traditional" marriage by giving them different benefits. We need to not have a VP who is rabidly anti-gay. That's what we need. (I'm not gay. I say "we" because we all need this.)

Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 PM

778 posts, read 339,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As a gay guy who leans libertarian, I say we don't need ANY more "rights". It's a little embarrassing sometimes to be a part of a community whose leaders constantly portray us as victims.
I commiserate with you, since I am supposedly represented by a bunch of professional victim that wear genitalia costumes and brag about infanticide.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wrong.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1523SG.pdf

So a doctor can deny me fertility treatment, a medical procedure, because I am married to a woman and the state will do nothing about it.
You are complaining because you can't compel someone to breach their religious conscience for you. There is NOTHING in the legislation that states that NO DOCTOR within your state can provide the services you want. It's just that you WANT ALL doctors to bend to your desires.

LGBTQIA's are nothing but control freak whiny victim wanna-bes.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree!

Should the churches perform the ceremony?
Nope. No one should be compelled to participate in a ritual that would violate their 1st Amendment right to the free exercise of their religious conscience.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post

Fundamentalist Christians are nothing but control freak whiny victim wanna-be's.

Fundies get angry and lament persecution because somebody wishes them a Happy Holidays. They even threw a huge hissy-fit last year because Starbucks decided to release a plain red cup for Christmas, removing the Santa Clauses and snowflakes that have been on it previous years. This year they brought the traditional cup back, but they also had a "unity" cup that had a collage of people of difference races and ethnicities. The Christian Right was quite angry about that.

Don't even get me started about Target and their transgender bathroom policy. Nationwide, you had angry Christians disrupting target stores screaming and waving Bibles because of that. Search YouTube and you will find plenty of those videos.

And you consider LGBT people control freaks? In the state I live in, I can't even buy an alcoholic beverage to consume in my own home past 9PM or on Sunday, I can't buy cold beer, and I can't legally smoke a joint, all because somebody's interpretation of their "holy book" says those things are wrong. Why in a free society should people be forced to live by a holy book they don't believe in? It's flat out ridiculous. I also can't openly be myself without fear of harassment by people and where I live, I could easily be fired or lose my home for coming out of the closet and there would be nothing I could do about it.

If fundamentalist Christians would learn to live and let live, there wouldn't be a need for an "LGBT rights" movement. Fundamentalist Christians have every right to practice their faith, but they don't have the right to force that on everyone else, which is something that happens all too often in our country despite supposedly having separation of church and state.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
And to prove non-discrimination, any given group of politicians or staff members, in real life or on TV, must contain at least one homosexual... kissing members of his or her own gender... on the lips.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Fundamentalist Christians are nothing but control freak whiny victim wanna-be's.

Fundies get angry and lament persecution because somebody wishes them a Happy Holidays. They even threw a huge hissy-fit last year because Starbucks decided to release a plain red cup for Christmas, removing the Santa Clauses and snowflakes that have been on it previous years. This year they brought the traditional cup back, but they also had a "unity" cup that had a collage of people of difference races and ethnicities. The Christian Right was quite angry about that.

Don't even get me started about Target and their transgender bathroom policy. Nationwide, you had angry Christians disrupting target stores screaming and waving Bibles because of that. Search YouTube and you will find plenty of those videos.

And you consider LGBT people control freaks? In the state I live in, I can't even buy an alcoholic beverage to consume in my own home past 9PM or on Sunday, I can't buy cold beer, and I can't legally smoke a joint, all because somebody's interpretation of their "holy book" says those things are wrong. Why in a free society should people be forced to live by a holy book they don't believe in? It's flat out ridiculous. I also can't openly be myself without fear of harassment by people and where I live, I could easily be fired or lose my home for coming out of the closet and there would be nothing I could do about it.

If fundamentalist Christians would learn to live and let live, there wouldn't be a need for an "LGBT rights" movement. Fundamentalist Christians have every right to practice their faith, but they don't have the right to force that on everyone else, which is something that happens all too often in our country despite supposedly having separation of church and state.
Well, I can't help you with your bigotry and Christophobia, as I am not a Christian. Christians may express anger about Christmas Greetings and Starbucks cups, but they do not run to the Government and push legislation that MANDATES everyone say Merry Christmas, or MANDATES that ALL BUSINESS must provide Christmas compatible cups or be fined, or even shut down, now do they? Nope, they do not.

Smoking pot is not a Christian issue, it is one that is legislated and deals with public safety and not religion. Decisions related to the sale of Alcohol is made by State and City ordinances. Blame the people you elect, not Christians (I understand that your bigotry and Christophobia prevents you from placing blame where it logically belongs) and the issue with allowing Men who identify as female access to female restrooms is another public safety issue and not based in religion.

There are many atheists who don't want their children to be put into situations where they are alone in a restroom or changing room with a man who identifies as female. You just like to blame everything on "Fundamentalist Christians" the same way bigots like to blame everything on the blacks or the jews. Sorry you can't see your hypocrisy, but others surely can!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
You are complaining because you can't compel someone to breach their religious conscience for you. There is NOTHING in the legislation that states that NO DOCTOR within your state can provide the services you want. It's just that you WANT ALL doctors to bend to your desires.

A doctor can't use "religious belief" to deny someone of another religion those services.
A doctor can't use "religious belief" to deny someone of a particular race those services.
Why can a doctor use "religious belief" to deny me those services?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Smoking pot is not a Christian issue, it is one that is legislated and deals with public safety and not religion. Decisions related to the sale of Alcohol is made by State and City ordinances. Blame the people you elect, not Christians (I understand that your bigotry and Christophobia prevents you from placing blame where it logically belongs) and the issue with allowing Men who identify as female access to female restrooms is another public safety issue and not based in religion.
It's the fundamentalist Christians running on "family values" platforms that want to keep marijuana illegal. Statistics show that while it is not completely harmless, it is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco. It would be legal if not for the Christian Right wanting to enforce "be ye sober" (this also applies to alcohol legislation). They have the right to not allow marijuana in their home and businesses and municipalities have the right to ban it in public like they do tobacco, but I should have the right to enjoy a natural plant without worry about 10 years in prison because some Bible thumper doesn't like it.

In terms of the transgender issue, people need to get over it. With most transgender people, its not readily apparent that they are transgender, at least those that are well into transition. Go into the restroom, do your business, and get out like normal people. In terms of relationship to Christianity, the only people making a big deal out of it are the "family values" Christian groups, so of course its a religious issue. Pedophiles and perverts are not covered under these laws and should still be dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies